Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

it may well be that I'm a) giving Bioware more credit than they perhaps deserve and b) rationalising it all away because I don't particularly like it/can't satisfactorily explain.
Both of those. It is explicitly clear from the Final Hours app that there is no deeper meaning to the end. It's just half-assed writing coupled with a purposeful intent to make things vague. They wanted something "memorable" that caused "lots of speculation". Well they sure got that, although I suspect not quite in the manner they intended.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that the final hours app actually only mentions gameplay mechanics, not story factors, with regard to the viability of the theory. Depends on how you read it. Or choose to read it. Either way, it gives me a lot more satisfaction to imagine I'm right.

Sure, self-delusion is always satisfying - until the delusion ends of course. Good luck with that I guess.

There's a thread over on the official site that provides transcripts of the Final Hours videos, including the ones that deal with the specifics of the ending, both plot and mechanics-wise.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

What the happened to the people I took with me? What happened to the planets? Is Earth okay? Palaven? The other ones?

The fate of Earth depends on what ending you pick and get...

Show spoiler
There are variations of the Control Reapers and Destroy Reapers that damage earth, and a poor outcome of Destroy that blows up the planet. I'd assume the Bad Destroy/Control wave has similar results on other worlds it hits. If your strength value is high enough only the Reapers are hit though and the planet remains unharmed by the blast.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Show spoiler

The cinematic was just a color-coded wave of light with no change based on choices you made, it didn't follow up on the stories of people you met, it destroyed the mass-relays (snip) the Citadel is destroyed

Show spoiler

There are some slight differences depending on your military strength value and the ending you pick. Apparently the Citadel and Mass Relays survive if you get the (good) Control the Reapers ending, while they're destroyed if you get any of the Destroy or Synthesis endings. Presumably since Shepard integrates into the Citadel in the Control ending, and so it needs to stay intact for her to remain in control of the Reapers.

But indeed, the ending left a very bad aftertaste. Sort of like if Mass Effect (1) had ended with Anderson digging out Shepard's squished corpse under Sovereign's wreckage in the council chamber.

Apparently
Show spoiler
the Citadel and Mass Relays survive if you get the (good) Control the Reapers ending, while they're destroyed if you get any of the Destroy or Synthesis endings.
Show spoiler
No, the relays are destroyed in all endings. Casper says that's the part of the cycle ending. The Citadel is always blown up in the destroy (red) and synthesis (green) endings, and always survives in the control (blue) endings. There is no "bad" synthesis ending btw, as it doesn't unlock as an option until you have enough EMS to be past the "bad" cutoff. It's clearly what Bioware considers the "best" ending, the one that can be unlocked without multiplayer. That compilation you posted is all the ending BIKs that are in the game files.

Heh.

Show spoiler
Looks pretty fubar'd to me. At the very least there are giant cracks and holes in it with bits flying off in all directions. Granted it cuts away right at the point where it is explicitly shown flying apart in the other two endings that use a recoloured version of the same animation. Not sure why they would do that, but then again not much of the endings makes any logical sense so that's hardly surprising. And as I said, Casper explicitly states before you choose any particular ending that the relays will be destroyed.

Show spoiler

True enough, but it seems Casper isn't entirely reliable and/or the Crucible/Catalyst may not be working properly, as in the Destruction ending it's possible to erase all of Earth even though Casper specifically states that only all synthetics will be destroyed.

...or was Earth itself a giant synthetic? DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Show spoiler
Since it depends on your war readiness, I'm going to guess it means that the Crucible just wasn't completed properly. Sounds like an apt, if unannounced punishment for those who skipped through the side-quests and extras.

Does anyone know how the Action-only mode works out? What choices are canon and how do the endings work?

No idea. Presumably they follow some sort of pattern similar to whatever criteria they used to determine the default Shep if you start a new game. Which maybe leans towards Renegade? As for the ending, I would guess that

Show spoiler
the Destroy ending would be the most logical. I can't see that Synthesis would be likely as if they stick to the EMS requirements they some players wouldn't qualify.

Edit: Angry Joe has put up a list of problems with the endings. Covers all the main points most people have. Extreme spoiler warning obviously.

He missed one it seems. All the others were bleeped. The title is "10 Reasons We Hate Mass Effect 3's Ending" for those that want to search for it.

The fate of Earth depends on what ending you pick and get...
Show spoiler
There are variations of the Control Reapers and Destroy Reapers that damage earth, and a poor outcome of Destroy that blows up the planet. I'd assume the Bad Destroy/Control wave has similar results on other worlds it hits. If your strength value is high enough only the Reapers are hit though and the planet remains unharmed by the blast.

Show spoiler

There are some slight differences depending on your military strength value and the ending you pick. Apparently the Citadel and Mass Relays survive if you get the (good) Control the Reapers ending, while they're destroyed if you get any of the Destroy or Synthesis endings. Presumably since Shepard integrates into the Citadel in the Control ending, and so it needs to stay intact for her to remain in control of the Reapers.

But indeed, the ending left a very bad aftertaste. Sort of like if Mass Effect (1) had ended with Anderson digging out Shepard's squished corpse under Sovereign's wreckage in the council chamber.

The ending was slightly more varied than I realized. I did the out of the box default for 1st playthrough and had just south of 4000 TMS, but apparently got the "2nd" option w/my two choices. Discovered what Stoffe was talking about after watching a YT vid claiming the/a "worst ending" based on 1600 pts (EMS, I presume...or they made a ton of bad choices and skipped stuff for TMS to be that low). So, I guess I got the middle ending.

Just throwing this out there:

Show spoiler
That's exactly what they were hoping for. Outcry about the ending so that they had an excuse to sell us the real ending for another $10-15 on top of the original $60 and the From Ashes DLC (if you didn't get the N7 Edition).

Think Fallout 3 and Bethesda.

Given how bad most game writing is, I'd almost like to see them try.

Also, Beth kinda did this already with Fallout 3, and the world didn't end because of it.

@LDR: If only you were right, at least then we could be fairly certain that said DLC would give us a good ending, instead of a "fanfic" style ending which is the main reason I'm not sure I want them to make a new ending.

I believe if their PR tactics fail,..and the pressure is still there....EA suits will worry about the IP in terms of movies and other spin offs as well as DLC,..etc.

This is as if the original star wars trilogy had a ending that made you go what the?!....That makes no sense and breaking the emotional bond with the Series....If this happen then you would see the Prequels bomb.

The reasons for the star wars prequel trilogy, even with some flaws, brought in the money and fans because of the connection to the original episode 4-6. If that wasn't there the movies would have not made as much money as they did and fans would be less incline to wait in line for midnight showings.

EA suits will worry about the IP in terms of movies and other spin offs as well as DLC,..etc.
EA worried about upsetting a few gamers...Look to see if Origins is still up and running...Nope they are not worried. Now if EA can make mega $$$$ with a new DLC ending to ME3... Then you may get you new ending.

A non free DLC ending,...might not be a good idea....it opens a door of trouble

They can use the DLC they plan to sell, but up the price or alter production cost so a dollar from each of the new DLC planned can be used to finance the production of a free alter/tweak ending DLC.

Win - Win

Fans get free ending DLc and Bioware can use other DLc pricing to make up the cost of it.

Hey here is something that will make you laugh,....:D

These are two fan made endings to ME3 - one is with the breakfast club music and the other is animal house style ending...lol

Animal House style ending (Does Have Spoilers)

Show spoiler

Archived