Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm in the camp of those who think the ending should be different to what we got, I never really expected Bioware to do anything about it. Something like this "Extended Cut" of theirs did cross my mind, but I didn't really expect them to do even that. However, now that it's been announced - it's free so I'll probably check it out. I don't really think it will fix anything without removing the character of Starchild and giving the Reapers a different purpose and motivation, but I guess it's worth a look.

While we're on the subject on fan expectations, authors' promises, fan outrage and authors' reactions, here's an interesting article that deals with the topic of modern storytelling and fan input.

And in the next special edition,

Starchild is replaced by Hayden Christiansen.

Yeah and they'll add Imperial walkers and giant dewback lizards to the citadel like they originally intended in the first version.

6074966575_c4f19b7c97_o.jpg

Well done, sirs. Well done.

EDIT: While on the topic of DLC though, I have seen a 'prediction' (I say prediction, it was more of a rant because people don't seem to want it) that among the DLC we will get, there will be a Take Back Omega DLC. Would anyone be game for such a thing? I know I would!

While on the topic of DLC though, I have seen a 'prediction' (I say prediction, it was more of a rant because people don't seem to want it) that among the DLC we will get, there will be a Take Back Omega DLC. Would anyone be game for such a thing? I know I would!

I had hoped that would originally make it into the game, or at least some kind of Omega based mission. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. Just wonder if they'll add any new crew members or temp party members and how much of the DLC will be window dressing (outfits, weapons, etc...) vs mission oriented.

EDIT: While on the topic of DLC though, I have seen a 'prediction' (I say prediction, it was more of a rant because people don't seem to want it) that among the DLC we will get, there will be a Take Back Omega DLC. Would anyone be game for such a thing? I know I would!
Well that would help to provide context for the comic that came with my CE.

The new patch is out and the major thing they were supposed to fix - the face import bug - hasn't been fixed. The official forums are up in arms about it. I gave it a brief test to confirm and it would appear any ME1 face imported into ME2 without changes (thus having no face code) still does not convert properly when imported into ME3. Faces that do have a code seem to mostly import OK structure-wise, but certain elements, like hair style or eye colour, may be changed/absent.

The article previously posted by Titanius, this one here, is great. Also, I recommend watching
, which is also great.

That video was fun and mostly spot on, even though I don't agree with everything he says. :) A more creative and entertaining way to present complaints than long rants on the Bioware forums, even though it likely will be as effective in bringing about change (i.e. not at all).

The new patch is out and the major thing they were supposed to fix - the face import bug - hasn't been fixed.

While that particular bug doesn't bother me (ME1-generated faces would look rather archaic compared to regular ME3 faces) I do find it odd they have such trouble finding and dealing with a bug that's not exactly obscure. :raise:

The patch also overwrote the coalesced.bin file, forcing me to reapply all my tweaks and mods. Need to remember to back that file up before allowing the game to patch next time. :roleyess:

ME1-generated faces would look rather archaic compared to regular ME3 faces
So presumably ME2 faces are archaic as well then? What with the exact same base morph meshes being used in the first two games. That also (somewhat paradoxically) presumably makes ME3 faces archaic, given that it uses only slightly retopologised versions of the original meshes (adding a mere 276 polys - basically some extra edge loops to aid animation).

th_Mass_Effect_Player_Morph_Meshes.jpg

Edit: Actually looking closer, it seems the topology of the outer face of the ME3 mesh is identical to the ME1/2 meshes, they just tweaked some vertex positions, notably bringing the brow down on the male. Other than that, the only place that is obviously structurally different that I can see is the mouth box.

Edit 2: OK, I've pulled all 3 models apart and I can say that across all 3 games the external mesh for the face and neck are absolutely identical in topology and UV layout. Ditto the eyeballs and eyelashes. The only difference between the ME3 model and the ME1/2 model is that they changed the mesh for the mouth box. I'm not sure why exactly, but I assume it was animation related, as they added almost 300 polys as I said above. It could also be for texture related reasons, as they have re-UV'd it and switched around which textures the different elements of the mouth box use.

For the life of me, I can't find the pics to illustrate, but folks who purposefully created ugly/exaggerated Shepard faces have noticed that the faces they've created change pretty drastically between 2 and 3. I'll try to fine them if I can... but it does tell me that even minor alterations have an effect, most of which probably won't be obvious to a lot of the faces people create, but will be a little more obvious for other folks.

So presumably ME2 faces are archaic as well then?

Yes, I've found that it's completely impossible to create a natural-looking female Shepard in either Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2. Haven't bothered trying in Mass Effect 3 since the new default female head looks lightyears better than anything you could squeeze out of the CharGen, if what you say is accurate. :)

(Wish they'd add the new default head as DLC to Mass Effect 2 as well so you can keep your appearance between games, but I doubt that would ever happen.)

Well yeah the "canon" Shep heads are cheats of a sort, as they are custom meshes freed from the constraints of the morph system. As such they can make the face pretty much whatever shape they want. Within limits of course - they have to keep the topology and extents roughly the same to work with the existing rigs.

Whipped out the appropriate textures for each head. Aside from a few tweaks, they are basically identical across all 3 games:

th_Mass_Effect_Male_Morphs_Textured.jpg

So basically what it boils down to is that the heads are physically identical in all the games (bar the mouth boxes, but they are inconsequential to this discussion). The only difference lies in the aesthetics of the varying morph targets, which is presumably why they keep changing them.

Archived