Home

Mass Effect 3

leXX

Another ME3 article

I'm interested to see how the "permanent" vs "temporary" squad mate dynamic plays out. I'm sure a lot of nervous Tali fanboys are too.

Didn't Tali die in ME2???? I remember seeing her kick the bucket in a number of different ways :shades2:

Oh and awesome article!!!!

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
I'm a bit confused on why a short lived species like the salarians would suddenly start discussing the genophage, which is something that was made more than a thousand years ago, seems forced.

Did Mordin (or even Maelon) stir up something???

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually i did, i just got bored out of my mind with the, "poor quarians got their asses kicked by the toaster", and the "daddy never hugged me one in ME1".

And than, even though i'm a mean bastard towards her, she loves me!!!! I was dissapointed that i couldn't tell her "no way bucket girl" right to her face/bucket.

I'm not saying she's badly written, the romance comes out of nowhere but that happens, or anything... she just bothers me!!!

So i killed her :dev7:, over and over and over again, and in a number of different ways lol (taken by the bugs is my favorite :thmbup1:).

Hrmm that whole temporary squad mate thing is going to piss off a lot of people I suspect. I really don't know why they love killing off their party NPCs so much. It doesn't add "dramatic tension" - it just annoys people, and leads exactly to situations like this.

And the comment about the effect of ME 1 & 2 choices makes me inclined to believe they will be completely inconsequential, which was what I always suspected, but is a shame. It actually would be kind of cool if they had the balls to make the 3rd game unwinable based on choices made in the first two. But I guess their target audience wouldn't like that much.

Somehow I don't think many people would buy a game that's an effective Kobayashi Maru. But I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of ways for bad choices in the first two games to bite players in the ass.

Not killing Conrad better have some seriously negative effects.

I think Achilles was referring to you not knowing what was up with the Genophage. It's explained.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
I don't think so, the genophage modification is suppoused to be top secret, so someone spilled the beans...

After the loyalty mission, we got a very confused Mordin so that's the probable explanation.

Still, it doesn't seem like something your average Salarian should care to me...

Hrmm that whole temporary squad mate thing is going to piss off a lot of people I suspect. I really don't know why they love killing off their party NPCs so much. It doesn't add "dramatic tension" - it just annoys people, and leads exactly to situations like this.

I actually like this, they are leaders for their own people (most likely), but work with Shepard for a while in solving common problems, again most likely.

Not killing Conrad better have some seriously negative effects.

"I am assuming direct control"

*Shot of Collector General possessing Collector Drone*

*Shot of Reaper possessing Collector General*

*Shot of Conrad Verner possessing Reaper*

:eek:

The Conrad Reaper would be pretty bad ass. He'd probably get pushed around by the other Reapers though, have them shoving their appendages in his face and the like.

It actually would be pretty cool to see Conrad pull off some sort of crazy heroic sacrifice kind of thing to take down a Reaper, along the lines of Randy Quaid in Independence Day. Corny, but would fit his character well I think.

It's actually not that different in principle (and motivation), but I'll assume you mean that you aren't bothered by the former as opposed to the latter. Both examples are fairly jarring to my mind when compared to their respective forebears, but to each their own.

I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just feel that one type of cut corner hurts the gameplay significantly (reusing levels so many times makes people use the same strategies, know where everything will be, etc.), while the other doesn't really do much harm in that regard (with the same collection of humanoid character models, you can have a bunch of different enemy types, after all, a real life nation's soldiers are all human shaped and have similar uniforms, and there's plenty of variation).

Also, I'd feel like a massive hypocrite, since I didn't care when Fallout 2 reused a huge amount of graphical material from Fallout 1, and this seems like pretty much the same situation.

Another ME3 article

I'm interested to see how the "permanent" vs "temporary" squad mate dynamic plays out. I'm sure a lot of nervous Tali fanboys are too.

EDIT: Ooo! Who doesn't love hot Reaper-on-Thresher-Maw action?

I'll believe the bit about 'chessboard' AI once I see it. Video game AI hasn't really improved since F.E.A.R in 2005 (though if we're talking about sandbox AI, S.T.A.L.K.E.R's was pretty good). In fact, I'm not sure I've seen much AI that's even equal with F.E.A.R's.

Temporary squadmates seems like a good idea, since it allows for the return of characters that could die, but doesn't force those who let it happen to miss out on huge chunks of content.

Reaper vs. Thresher Maw seems less of a good idea. Considering you could ravage thresher maws easily in a scouting tank, and even kill them with small arms fire on foot, whereas it took a long, concerted attack by entire fleets to destroy one Reaper, I don't see how they can make that fight make any sense. Either the Reapers are insanely weak (thus not a threat to any spaceship), or Thresher Maws have just been made a few million times stronger (in which case, how has anything survived on Tuchanka or any other planet they populate?). The only reason I can see is 'it just looks cool'; whether that's enough is a matter of taste, I suppose.

Actually i did, i just got bored out of my mind with the, "poor quarians got their asses kicked by the toaster", and the "daddy never hugged me one in ME1".

And than, even though i'm a mean bastard towards her, she loves me!!!! I was dissapointed that i couldn't tell her "no way bucket girl" right to her face/bucket.

I'm not saying she's badly written, the romance comes out of nowhere but that happens, or anything... she just bothers me!!!

So i killed her :dev7:, over and over and over again, and in a number of different ways lol (taken by the bugs is my favorite :thmbup1:).

Oh god. Hide before ChAiNz comes back.

Temporary squadmates seems like a good idea, since it allows for the return of characters that could die, but doesn't force those who let it happen to miss out on huge chunks of content.

This actually seems like a decent idea. Still, how many old squadmates will be regulars this go round? And how many regulars for ME3?

........The only reason I can see is 'it just looks cool'; whether that's enough is a matter of taste, I suppose.

I suspect that would be a big part of it......very overly dramatic, yet wildly improbable.

Guess ChAiNz' old banning finger is gonna get a workout.... :p

The problem I have with the temporary teammate thing is it seems a bit like pot luck whether your personal favourites will be back or not. Everyone can die in ME2, so arguably on that basis all of them should only be temporary ME3. Will that actually be the case? Guess we'll see. If it is, like I said there will be some seriously pissed people (*cough* Talimancers *cough*). The only guaranteed live 'uns are Ashley/Kaidan and Liara, plus this new bloke (son of the chick Anderson had the hots for in the novels?).

I'm just hoping Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre shows up.
Lol. That was the best part of ME2. Screw whatever movie they are thinking about - they should totally make the Blasto movie.

th_Blasto__Poster.png

Well if BioWare is going to limit dialog with party member based on love interest/gender then temporary party members is a welcome change to me. At least now I don’t have to run all over the Normandy between every mission just so the party members can tell Shepard they are busy come back later at best or to **** off at worse.

Beyond Mordin, Samara and Thane the conversations with party members in ME 2 were disappointing to me personally. The conversations with Tali, Miranda and Jack were terrible when not romancing them, just mediocre when in a romance. It is really sad when a DLC party member that you can’t really interact with outside their side quest has more to say about other missions and what is happening on the ship than regular party members that came with the game.

picture.php?albumid=149&pictureid=8049

:xp:

Guess ChAiNz' old banning finger is gonna get a workout.... :p

:lol:

So the article says that Garrus is confirmed as a (presumably permanent) squad member. What if he died in ME2? Are they making it canon that he survived regardless? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

And earning loyalty is back again. You'd think after following Shepard around for this long to hell and back that they'd finally trust him by now.

What if he died in ME2? Are they making it canon that he survived regardless? That doesn't seem to make any sense.
Shepard could have died in ME2. Does it similarly not make any sense that they would make his survival canon?

Is the problem that they're playing the canon card or is the problem that they are doing it with Garrus?

If Shepard dies you can't import that ME2 save into ME3, so that's irrelevant.

I have no particular issue with Garrus - in fact I quite like him. My point is simply if they made it so every squad member in ME2 could die with the stated intention of carrying that across into ME3, it seems a bit unfair to turn around pick certain squad members over others that get magically resurrected - assuming that is indeed what happens in ME3. All it does is highlight what a cheap tactic killing them off in the first place was.

Archived