Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

In one of the bigger surprises during the VGAs, Bethesda's Todd Howard took to the stage, surrounded by a menagerie of monks, to reveal the latest in the Elder Scrolls series: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Head past the jump for the teaser, featuring narration by Max Von Sydow.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/11/skyrim-elder-scrolls-5-coming-11-11-11/

Check that link for a teaser trailer (as of now there isn't one on Youtube).

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea saw that. They said something about world announcement in five mins. So I stuck around thinking it would be ME3, but when they said Betesda I was pleasantly surprised. Still not a huge surprise since they farmed out Fallout: New Vegas. I know what I want for my birthday next year.

They already said it was Gamebryo a few weeks back. It has been in development for a couple of years (presumably at least since FO3 was finished, if not beforehand), so I wouldn't expect many changes. Maybe they'll switch to the id Tech 5 engine for TES6, although they've said previously that its not an "open world" type engine, apparently.

They already said it was Gamebryo a few weeks back. It has been in development for a couple of years (presumably at least since FO3 was finished, if not beforehand), so I wouldn't expect many changes. Maybe they'll switch to the id Tech 5 engine for TES6, although they've said previously that its not an "open world" type engine, apparently.

Ahhhh... Damnit.

The trailer was pretty epic. Not that it tells you anything, but it was still cool anyway.

However, I must say that I HATE GAMEBRYO!

Oh, sweet! Hopefully they didn't start with "let's see what we can make it do" and kept the "let's make it work right" attitude from the start. Otherwise... Gamebryo Hell Part 2.

It's great news, nonetheless. I can't imagine an engine with as many problems for so many people as Gamebryo... Well, I can, but if I think about it too much, I will never be able to sleep again. *shivers*

The game will be on a new engine
Hrmm interesting given that Todd Howard had apparently confirmed a while ago that it would be on Gamebryo, as I said earlier:

Eurogamer: Is it fair to say then that it's based on existing technology?

Todd Howard: The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.

The "Fallout 3 tech" part would seem to confirm Gamebryo IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the "new" engine is just a revised Gamebryo, as opposed to an entirely different engine altogether.

^^^^

yeah, sounds to me like their using Gamebryo as a starting point for the new engine and not necessary a slightly upgrade version. i can imagine that it has to do with how the game handles the open world environment since there were few issues in that regard with either Fallout 3 or New Vegas. everything else with that engine needs a significant overhaul to keep up with new engines coming from iD and Crytek (particularly Crytek given that both previous Crytek engines handled large open environments very well).

• 2 weeks later...

just curious to see what your disposition was on that one. ;)

as for Skyrim, i'm game. Bethesda set the bar pretty high with Oblivion when it designed Cyrodiil when it came to overall diversity of settings. Despite that Skyrim is mostly cold mountains and whatnot, i can imagine that it wouldn't take much for there to be at least some diversity between all of that. Just think: if there are mountains, then there are also valleys, and the diversity of going from the bottom of the valley to the top of a mountain is always immense.

i think that there even stands a chance for additional gameplay elements such as needing to adapt to weather conditions and even seasonal changes. in mountainous terrain, weather conditions change rapidly, and seasonal changes can be drastic. that alone can add quite a bit of diversity to the game as well.

I was thinking about leaving Tamriel alone for a bit and focusing in, say, Akavir maybe. I'd like to be part of an expeditionary force for example.

i think that there even stands a chance for additional gameplay elements such as needing to adapt to weather conditions and even seasonal changes. in mountainous terrain, weather conditions change rapidly, and seasonal changes can be drastic. that alone can add quite a bit of diversity to the game as well.

Hmm, a Hardcore from New Vegas of sorts. That'd be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Scans of the Game Informer article went up last night, here ye go.

Here's what I see:

- Two centuries into the future

- A "redesigned" engine. Probably a reworking of the Gamebryo one?

- A redesigned interface...

- No classes, gameplay is now entirely dependent on how you play, what skills you use etc.

- Dual-weilding of any combination of weapons, shields, magic, etc. For eg. shield and sword, magic and axe, etc.

- One new perk every level, Fallout 3-style

- Dragons! You'll be fighting lots of lesser dragons, and the end boss is presumably Alduin, the super god-Dragon thing or whatever that is going to destroy the world (no he's not)

- The player is a rare Dragonborn who is destined to slay dragons, but at the same time discover the mysteries behind why the dragons are back and how they prefer their tea

- The king of Skyrim is dead - civil war time!

- You can now forge weapons, enchant stuff, cook, cut wood, mine and so on. Farming will probably be a DLC.

- No more zoom-in conversations! Characters that can walk about and do stuff while they talk! No word on the quality of writing.

- Swap your combat loadout with the touch of a button

- The higher you raise your skill, the more it contributes to levelling. For eg. raising one skill from 34 to 35 will make you level faster than raising another from 11 to 12. Conclusion: Jack of all trades have it slower.

- Level cap is 50, but not a hard cap; you will continue to level-up very slowly after that.

- Bows are slower, but much more powerful

- Melee combat is now more energetic and dynamic and all that

- Backpedalling is now much slower than your walk-forward speed

- Five schools of magic; Mysticism has been removed and its spells have been thrown about

- If you drop a weapon, there's a chance it might lie there, or a young boy might pick it up and return it to you, or two burly men might try to fight over it. The highlight here is that there will be little boys in the game and you can probably kill them, too.

- Level-scaling is fun!

- The game will tailor to how you have played. If a woman asks you to save her daughter from kidnappers, the quest will be set in a dungeon the game knows you haven't explored.

- Similarly, there's a vast storehouse of knowledge on the decisions you have made, and how you have played the game. Sounds promising.

The game will tailor to how you have played. If a woman asks you to save her daughter from kidnappers, the quest will be set in a dungeon the game knows you haven't explored.

This i like.

Something that annoyed me at times in Oblivion was the fact that i could clear out a dungeon/cave, only to be sent back there shortly after to do a quest of one type or another.

A "redesigned" engine. Probably a reworking of the Gamebryo one?
That was my feeling, although there was that interview I mentioned earlier where it seemed to indicate that they'd ditched Gamebryo altogether, just keeping the middleware. Time will tell I guess.

The king of Skyrim is dead
Didn't they do that already?

The highlight here is that there will be little boys in the game and you can probably kill them, too.
Seems highly unlikely. Expect a repeat of the Fallout 3 invulnerable kids (at least until the PC mod to change it comes out).

- Sabre – I did not read where the PC is a prisoner for some undefined crime. Who is either pardon or escapes, yet no one seems to care.

Other than that, what I'm sure is just an oversight, it looks good to me.

Woah woah woah, there's still level scaling?! SOMEBODY TALK ME DOWN OFF THIS LEDGE. :hor:
Jump! Jump! Jump!... Wait.. I mean please step away from the ledge…

Archived