Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

^ Yeah, some gorgeous gameplay add-ons, like the dual-wielding and the shout magic (I was especially impressed by the one that calls a storm - weather changing magic is very welcome, IMO). Dragons look like a pain to defeat using melee only, but I guess that was expected. Their animations aren't very fluid, though. You'd think Bethesda would pay more attention to that, but I'm sure those things will be looked on.

Their animations aren't very fluid, though. You'd think Bethesda would pay more attention to that, but I'm sure those things will be looked on.

Awful animations and character models (and beautiful landscapes) have been a hallmark of the Elder Scrolls series since Morrowind (where the character models were known to make your eyes bleed). So I'm personally not expecting too much in that area. As long as they're passable enough not to distract you from the rest of the game I'm satisfied. :)

So I'm personally not expecting too much in that area. As long as they're passable enough not to distract you from the rest of the game I'm satisfied. :)
and moddable. :xp:

From what I've seen so far they have done a better job with the character models in Skyrim. Still I'm not worried about it as long as the game popular enough for people to spend time making mods.

Yesterday I was a buzz wanting to play ME3 and TOR, today I'm back to wanting Skyrim more.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-elder-scrolls/714851

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY this game looks awesome :eek:

Absolutely can't wait for this game to come out. Thank goodness ME3 doesn't come out till March 2012.. :lol:

G4TV just released another gameplay trailer yesterday. Has some of the stuff shown above.. but adds some more little tidbits as well. 14 minutes of OMFG.. hehehe

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53441/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-E3-Gameplay-Demo/

Agh, those crystal ball guards annoyed the hell out of me. Pickpocketing was a therefore a pain if your character didn't have the adequate stats. Unless you reloaded once your mischief failed and you got caught, you're in for a night in jail, waiting or trying to break out with a single lockpick. Would be nice if people could bounty hunt you when you're out in the open, away from any safe town.

They also are reporting in the article that hand to hand has been removed as a skill. No more punching mudcrabs when you are ready to level up. :xp:
I don't remember ever using my fists (or having a boxing-focused character for that matter) on the previous game unless it was absolutely necessary (early in game; when your weapons break; etc), so I'm good.

I would use magic and hand to hand as my major skills in Oblivion and only use them when I was ready to level up (after increasing two minor skills by 10 (two minor skills that related to different Attributes). Then I would either use a homemade spell on my playable character or run around the shore line punching mudcraps and collecting nirnroots until it was time to sleep and level up. Something ChAiNz and stoffe taught me in the Oblivion thread. I used basically the same strategy once I played Morrowind.

Just to tone down some of the excitement for Skyrim.

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible”

The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .”

Credit goes to acdcfanbill for the link.

None of us want to be overly enthusiastic about Skyrim and have our expectations too high. Maybe this news will help dissipate some of those high expectations.

Well, there goes any hope for decent journal/character/inventory menu design. Which is a serious issue in an RPG. The quality of the graphics at maximum settings, and quite a few other factors, will most likely suffer as well. Mods can fix all of that, but I'm not especially willing to accept Bethesda leaving a bunch of the work they should've done to modders. When modders are being forced to finish a game for the devs, instead of adding cool new stuff to it, the devs have failed in their job. Even if there's a decent excuse (Obsidian getting rushed with KOTOR 2, for example), it's still a failure to some extent.

With that said, I like the versatility of the combat system, picking what to do with each hand (though I dread to see the 'dual wield stupidly huge FF style swords' mods that will surely come). I like the shout magic, since it gives sword+shield, sword+sword, and 2-handed sword (I doubt people will play shield+shield) players the option to use at least some spells without totally changing their equipment. I also like that Dragons need to be brought down somehow before you can beat them to death in melee. Sure, it'll be tougher for a melee centric character (which I often play), but I like the realism of a dragon actually using its natural advantages, instead of landing and running at you if you're using a sword.

He was talking about how not all dragons want to end the world. Does Elder Scrolls have the intelligent, possibly speech-capable, type of dragons in it, as opposed to the now more common non-sentient animal depiction? 'Cause that'd be cool. I miss dragons being wily bastards.

Well, there goes any hope for decent journal/character/inventory menu design.

I don't know about that. At least as far as inventory menu design goes they link ChAiNz posted above looked pretty good in that regards. About at the 3:35 mark.

He was talking about how not all dragons want to end the world. Does Elder Scrolls have the intelligent, possibly speech-capable, type of dragons in it, as opposed to the now more common non-sentient animal depiction? 'Cause that'd be cool. I miss dragons being wily bastards.

It sounds like they are intelligent (at least some of them). The playable character even gets to learn their language and from what I've read some will even speak English (or whatever language the NPC are speaking). Pretty sure the voice the PC learn are dragon speak and the PC was born with a dragon soul.

Not worried one bit since I'll be owning both console and pc versions ;)

From the videos, I'm not seeing anything that is going to disappoint, and Beth's long time standing of releasing tools will make that a non-factor.

What WOULD make me sad/angry/bitter was if Beth ever changes their stance on releasing tools. Talk about a huge arse community revolt. By far one of the largest mobs you wouldn't want to see raged ;)

Loving all the butt-hurt comments on the article's site though.. :lol:

Should I be excited about this game? I don't know. I'm still not over the fact I spent 50 bucks on Oblivion, which I disliked.

If the elements of Oblivion you disliked still seem to be present, be unexcited. If they're gone, be anywhere from neutral to excited. If you get too excited, you might end up with a bad game and $50 poorer. If you aren't excited enough, you might miss out on a cool game. REAL LIFE CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES! (RL is the best RPG ever made, despite having a terrible inventory system, very limited carry weight, a slow start, an unintuitive leveling system, no mods, absurdly difficult combat with only one difficulty level, and a ton of pointless filler content.)

Believe it or not, games come down to personal preference, despite my best attempts to inform people of the fact that they should stop liking what I don't like.

I'm not too sure how I feel about this upcoming ES game tbh.

I gave many hours of my life to Morrowind between 04-06 and nearly as much to Oblivion.

Morrowind was the first game that gripped me in the sense that "I AM the character" as opposed to "i'm playing a computer game". :lol:

For the time being i'll just say this: I really hope the NPC's don't level up alongside the character like they did in Oblivion, that was a bad move imo.

Archived