Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought as much. I remember downloading it ages ago on a similar "deal" just wasn't sure if it had remained so (free). Thanks for the confirmation :D

As I recall, it was released for free to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of the whole series, just as Arena was rereleased five years prior for similar reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
O.M.G. want. now.

Released demo in it's entirety (3 part).

Some (a lot of) things old, BUT some things new (at least for me some things were.. hehe) :D

@stoffe, Giant Spider warning on part 2 starting at 1:30 ;)

Hmmm, SciFi-ish interface in Skyrim too? Looks a bit out of place. But then I don't have high hopes for a good UI in that game anyway since it seems to be made for gamepad navigation and not mouse/keyboard.

Spiders... urgh. I don't understand why game devs insist on placing giant spider creatures in Fantasy RPGs (TES3:Morrowind being the refreshing exception). Not only does a fair number of people suffer from arachnophobia and it can completely ruin the game for those (until someone makes a mod removing the spiders), it also looks completely unrealistic. But I guess it's one of those "Tolkien did it so it's mandatory" things. Like elves. :wonder:

Other than that the game looks very pretty. I hope with "handcrafted dungeons" it means they've done away with the tons of nondescript carbon copied mines/caves/ruins with absolutely nothing of interest within that littered the previous two Elder Scrolls games, and it's not just an exception of the rule.

The dragons look impressive (if a bit dumb, why land when fighting a creature incapable of flight who's armed with a melee weapon?). Pretty environments, though I hope there will be more than just snow and rock. Would get a bit dull after a while. Nice that you can dual-wield weapons as well.

Spiders... urgh. I don't understand why game devs insist on placing giant spider creatures in Fantasy RPGs (TES3:Morrowind being the refreshing exception). Not only does a fair number of people suffer from arachnophobia and it can completely ruin the game for those (until someone makes a mod removing the spiders), it also looks completely unrealistic. But I guess it's one of those "Tolkien did it so it's mandatory" things. Like elves. :wonder:

Because spiders can be scary, and the developers want the game to be scary at certain points? And what about those who suffer from dracophobia?

Because spiders can be scary, and the developers want the game to be scary at certain points? And what about those who suffer from dracophobia?

And those that suffer from botanophobia, chionophobia, hoplophobia, achluophobia, photophobia, acrophobia, agoraphobia or claustrophobia? Let's not forget them.

By all means, make fun of us. The point still remains, it ruins games and in some cases prevent people from finishing them without mods. :wonder:

(I had to use a mod that god rid of the Spider Daedra in TES4:Oblivion to be able to play that game.)

Originally Posted by stoffe

By all means, make fun of us. The point still remains, it ruins games and in some cases prevent people from finishing them without mods.

(I had to use a mod that god rid of the Spider Daedra in TES4:Oblivion to be able to play that game.)

I'm right there with you. I can only pray that Visceral doesn't add a spider necromorph to Dead Space 3... I hope they didn't read that.

By all means, make fun of us.
It wasn't so much to make fun of you but more to point out that pretty much everyone is afraid of something (there isn't a cool Latin name for a fear of coconuts, but I have a touch of that. Also rabbits - leporiphobia. I was scarred as a child by a combination of the killer rabbit of Caerbannog in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Watership Down.). Sure you could remove giant spiders, but where do you stop? If you cleansed every possible phobia-inducing element out of games, you wouldn't be left with much beyond an empty white room (which some people would still be afraid of).

Originally Posted by Sabretooth

I wonder why there haven't been spider necromorphs in Dead Space yet. Having to shoot down eight limbs to kill an enemy sounds like something obvious enough to have made it to the first game.

There was one or two in the book.

On topic: Obviously I'm looking forward to Skyrim. I'm debating whether I should wait for a GOTY edition (if at all possible) or not. I'm also struggling should I get it on PC and have to spend hundreds of dollars so it can run with minimal lag, or 360 and be cursed with a limited controller.

• 2 weeks later...
This is likely a stupid question, but how moddable might this game be?

Pretty extensive. Previous games have gone through just about every convention possible. Models, MoCap, texturing, world building.. you name it, there's probably a mod for it (previous ES titles).

Probably have one of the largest modding communities I've ever known. They have confirmed that Skyrim (pc) will be released with the tool kit (as all the other games have). :)

There may be some differences in moddability given the engine changes, although presumably their internal tools at least would maintain pretty much the same functionality (if not improve).

That being said, plenty of fans seem to have delusions about what they can and can't mod. For example:

1. You can't mod classes back in. (Not sure why they'd want to)

2. You probably can't put attributes back in (And really, it would just get messy).

3. You can't add more armour slots.

4. You can't add more skills (probably even harder with the new setup).

Also, I'm hoping they eliminate the need for a third-party script extender.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived