Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

Read today and confirmed when I got home that the paranormal activity is a function of having v-sync turned off (or more specifically that the physics engine freaks out when the graphics start pushing frame rates too high; an issue which v-sync prevents).

Turned v-sync on when I got home. No tearing, no poltergeists, no funky water flickering in any indoor areas that contain water.

Same here. Wish that I had done this well before buying the Whiterun house. Pretty much cleaned up everything loose just so it wouldn't fling around the rooms and have me dodging for my life.. hehehe. Kinda barren now as the grab and place function is a nightmare. Decorating is minimal for now till the CK comes out.

At least my Riften home is all decorated out nicely since no phantom cups are slingshotting around the place :xp:

Enabling V-sync also keeps my vid card's fan from kicking in to overdrive.

Oh! and I finally got a water breathing item! Funny though since my potions are so kick arse now that I just stick to using them. At least I have closure :xp:

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I unofficially titled my last playthrough "ChAiNz's Revenge". 30 something hours and not a single waterbreathing artifact. :(

:lol: hehehe

I laugh, but only because I feel your pain bro :D

Chicken’s Egg

Histcarp

Nordic Barnacle

I have them committed to memory now due to my past dilemma. :¬:

May I ask why the obsession for water breathing artifacts when you're underwater for about 5 minutes in total of the game?

Huh? You should explore a bit, you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

I've already uncovered over half a dozen shipwrecks in what few waterways explored (one takes a minute dive just to get to). Several of the dungeons and caves I've explored have had hidden chests or underwater tunnels. Plus.. it's the fun of "mystery". You never know what awaits. :D

Speak for yourself. We oldtimers that remember Morrowind know that all the cool stuff is hidden at the bottom of the ocean :D

Yup! hehehe. Scored some glass gauntlets plus the misc. chest loot etc. so far. I just wish I could fight underwater too. Doesn't happen often, but there's been some times where I've been chased out of the water by slaughterfish :¬:

Also, I think the patch might have already pushed. My game has crashed half a dozen times this evening. This is definitely new behavior.
Yeah, I've been reading some worrying stories. Seems there "may or may not" be a bug with magic resistance. If so, my squishy arse is boned because I invest enchantments in that moreso than specific resistances (fire, frost, shock) since MR is the cover all bases option.

Also, I think the patch might have already pushed. My game has crashed half a dozen times this evening. This is definitely new behavior.

Indeed, I would stay away from the Skyrim 1.2 patch. Judging by reports it's totally broken. Armor and resistances no longer working, dragons flying backward, user interface glitches, a lot more frequent crashes etc.

It believe it's safe to say this patch was rushed out without any testing at all. :¬:

Great, I just patched the game via steam as I thought that would improve it.

As the last few days, Skyrim suddenly decided that I should only play in sessions of 20minutes and NOT more. As after 20mins I was staring back at my desktop.

Thing is I already played a few hours before that sort of thing started... Bethesda, will you ever learn. Seems these guys have real trouble delivering a functioning game...

*sigh* Guess I'll wait a few months, then get back to this game...

*sigh* Guess I'll wait a few months, then get back to this game...

May not take that long, they got the patch out to fix the invincible enemies patch in Fallout: NV the same day. However unsure if that was Bethesda or Obsidian Entertainment doing. Still you would think that would teach Bethesda to test their patches before sending them out.

May not take that long, they got the patch out to fix the invincible enemies patch in Fallout: NV the same day. However unsure if that was Bethesda or Obsidian Entertainment doing. Still you would think that would teach Bethesda to test their patches before sending them out.

Thing is, it was the same "tragedy" with Morrowind and Oblivion. I know it'll get fixed but it makes me wonder who or what is in lead of the playtesting.

Oh well, no point in getting fed up about it. I'll get my appetite sated eventually :lol:

Is there a way to not let Steam patch the game? Or rollback a version if it does?

I can tell you what not to do. :(

I went home in an attempt not to download the patch. Disconnected from the internet (like the Bethesda forum said) and tried to start Steam offline. Steam would not let me. So reconnected the internet and try to tell Steam to work off line after it started. Not fast enough, 1.0% of the patch downloaded. Would not let me stop it or play Skyrim offline. Looked at setting and it was already set not to download Skyrim patches without my permission. So looks like I have the patch. Played one quest with no problem, but didn't see any dragons.

Is there a way to not let Steam patch the game? Or rollback a version if it does?

Apparently you need to set Steam to Offline Mode to prevent it from auto-fetching game patches for some reason. It seems to cheerfully ignore the setting for each individual game not to auto-update it.

To make it start up in Offline mode it should work to add/edit the following keys in the steam.cfg file located in the same folder as the steam exe:

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
ForceOfflineMode=enable

I don't think there's a way to roll back if you've already patched, unfortunately. The wonders of modern DRM systems. :rolleyes:

i've been playing Skyrim for 6+ hours at a time without any crashes. i've been using the 4GB Skyrim since the first program to make Skyrim use more than 2GB of memory address space was disabled in the first patch.

this one is just an executable and a .dll file that effectively doubles the address space that Skyrim uses. unlike the previous workaround, this one launches the game through Steam which allows it to function with the DRM and, therefore, allows the game to work with the latest patches.

tried running the game without it, and it crashes after about an hour of gameplay.

Still running the vanilla Skyrim, with the 1.2 patch. Everything seems to be working fine. Haven't had any dragon issues. Still only had two CTD in around 23 hours, none with the new patch in about 4 hours.

I will say the 4GB mods for Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV were life savers.

Steam updated my game as soon as I switched my PC on last night. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, and for the most part, came out of 1.2 unscathed. Poison immunity is borked, but all the dragons I encountered flew forward rather than backwards and I only had one CTD (compared to 7 the evening before).

I must admit though that I'm a little disappointed by the lack of response from Bethesda. Normally, I give the devs some slack because communication either comes from or is dictated by the publisher, but in this case they are one and the same. :(

Relatively unscathed myself with the 1.2 patch.. but like stingerhs I use the 4GB mod along with SKSE (which fixes the immunity / resistance bugs).

Be sure to use 4GB update 4. It auto-injects the skse helper files so you only have to launch it (4GB) after launching Steam.

Steam overlay, chat talk, screenies, etc. still remain functional.

Lengthy update from Bethesda re: Skyrim.

Clicky

Summary: patch for the patch coming next week, then nothing until January, then lots of stuff. Will fix code related stuff (i.e. the engine) first and then data (i.e. broken quests, etc) later. PC will get stuff before consoles because consoles require an extra step that Bethesda doesn't control.

EDIT: Oh, CK in 2012 for those of us that have been waiting.

I've been playing vanilla Skyrim for 36 hours now. I've only crashed once or twice. Other than that, I haven't really had much trouble with the game.

It's pretty addictive. I keep getting sidetracked. I've done about 3 or 4 story quests, and the rest of the time has been spent exploring and doing side quests. I'm Archmage of the College, and I just started in the Thieves Guild. I need to join up with the Stormcloaks and get that storyline started.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many perks you get? The numbers I've seen are 50 and 70. I'm only at level 29, and I'm worried I might have wasted some perks.

I'm at level 10 and the game has never crashed for me, it's surprisingly stable for a Bethesda product. :p

Dragons are effing difficult, so fighting them is pretty fun. Difficult fights are on the whole, highlights of this game, which is by and large boring otherwise. Despite that it's terribly addictive though, Elder Scrolls-style. It's a bit too much like Fallout 3 than I'd expected, though.

Archived