Home

Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5

Nedak

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, in the last few days i reached level 50, and am closing in on level 60. :)

It's getting harder and harder to level up though...

Yeah, seems I've been at lvl 51 for ages...

at least at that level, vendors start carrying the good stuff, and loot contains daedric items :D

Paahketgz, (my Bosmer archer/rogue/assassin) was grateful for the (somewhat) plentiful supply of daedric arrows he's amassed.

Installed a few cosmetic mods (not really cheating in my book :xp: ) but I was SOOOO tempted in installing a fletching mod. must... maintain.. willpower :headbump

To Achilles: I meant that the world doesn´t change at all when Im not doing something, of course there are these small random encounters, but for example, i have never seen a dragon killed by anyone but myself, and they have only attacked other characters while im around. All the people talk about is stuff i have done, almost never about anything else. Its like no one else does a sh*t about anything, even the of so horrible and brutal war didnt evolve at all until I took part in it, and i couldnt even choose to betray that ass of a jarl i ended up joining...

i have never seen a dragon killed by anyone but myself
If you have a dragon spawn near a giant's camp you will.

All the people talk about is stuff i have done, almost never about anything else.
We've gone from "nothing" (which I interpret as "never") to "almost never". I'll call the progress, but we're still a ways off from reality.

Its like no one else does a sh*t about anything, even the of so horrible and brutal war didnt evolve at all until I took part in it
At this point it sounds as though you're holding Skyrim to a standard that no RPG ever made can meet. Quests (and quest lines) are triggered by the PC. I'm pretty sure it always has been and always will be this way.

and i couldnt even choose to betray that ass of a jarl i ended up joining...
This is my chief complaint with Skyrim: everything is a railroad.

i have never seen a dragon killed by anyone but myself, and they have only attacked other characters while im around.

I've seen a dragon try to take on a forsworn encampment and get crushed pretty quickly.

Also if you hide in the tower at the main plot quest where you first get to fight a dragon the Jarl's housecarl and detachment of town guards will kill the dragon on their own. Not very heroic, though. :)

If not make the finishing move, I've seen people bring down dragons to the ground. It usually annoys me when I can't make the finishing move on a dragon because some guy with a troll-face shoots him with an arrow first. >:/

Quite. The game does a pretty poor job imparting why the Dragonborn should even be required to deal with the dragon menace. Small groups of noname NPCs with bows and basic spells can take them down with little problem on their own, after all.

So it mostly feels like you're dealing with the dragon threat because nobody else can be bothered to, not because nobody else can. :)

(Speaking of dragon difficulty, I feel it was a wasted opportunity by the developers not to keep the Slowfall magic/potion effect in the game and give dragons a grab attack where they can snatch you off the ground in mid-flight and then drop you from high above. Aside from Alduin they also seem to use surprisingly few Shouts other than the basic fire/frost breath. Shouts are supposed to be the draconic language, so even the humblest wyrmling should know them, IMO.)

Agree on the railroading (though most RPG's are guilty of this), it basically force you to meta-game which in turn drags you kicking and screaming away from immersion land.

At this point it sounds as though you're holding Skyrim to a standard that no RPG ever made can meet. Quests (and quest lines) are triggered by the PC. I'm pretty sure it always has been and always will be this way.

Din's Curse actually has the entire world and plot moving, no matter what you do. Plots are usually generated by random presets on the map, and how the individuals react to them and each other (example: a town with little food will have plenty of people begging you for food, and if you don't help them, they might steal/kill someone for food/die of hunger) Opposing groups of monsters will murder each other in the dungeon, with the winners leveling and becoming stronger, and if the town is attacked and you don't get back, then you better have given the townsfolk decent equpment to fight them off. Granted, the game is low on story, but I hope one day open world games will be able to do this.

give dragons a grab attack where they can snatch you off the ground in mid-flight and then drop you from high above.

Sounds like it'd be too harsh on those not using Slowfall. Dragon fights tend to be tough as it is, the only way I get through them is to find a piece of cover and stick to it earnestly.

Sounds like it'd be too harsh on those not preparing for battle properly

Perhaps, but it's not that much different from how dragon fights currently are if you prepare for them ahead of time. Once you get reasonably high level and accumulate good gear (or become skilled enough at enchanting/smithing to make your own) dragon fights aren't that tough. Stock up on fire/frost resist gear (and swap depending on what you run across) and their breath weapons won't harm you much. Toss Spellbreaker and a few blocking perks in and you can stand in a dragon breath and take essentially no damage at all. :)

The Flemeth intro cutscene at the beginning of Ðragon Age 2 is how I envision a flying dragon would fight. When they don't it just feels like the dragons are going easy on you. They're big and strong and should have no trouble snatching a little human or elf off the ground. It should be suicidal to take on a dragon without being prepared. Buying a few potions of Slowfall seems like a reasonable life insurance when heading off to do battle against them. :p

Meh. Those I kinda get. Half-naked Nord bandits (inventory: fur armor, fur shoes, iron dagger, lockpick, 6 gold, potion of minor stamina) should not take 10 minutes and 27 restarts to kill. I mean, seriously, make this guy the Bandit Chief cuz the guy with the title and the heavy armor went down in like two swings.

Meh. Those I kinda get. Half-naked Nord bandits (inventory: fur armor, fur shoes, iron dagger, lockpick, 6 gold, potion of minor stamina) should not take 10 minutes and 27 restarts to kill. I mean, seriously, make this guy the Bandit Chief cuz the guy with the title and the heavy armor went down in like two swings.

hehe.. true enough :D

Seeing many disproportionate leader/goon roles.

I hate fighting the forsworn "goons" moreso than the Briarheart leaders. I just pickpocket the briarheart and they die instantly :devsmoke: The goons I actually have to beat down :lol:

Though a lot of that is swarm tactics. One-on-one I usually don't have that many problems with encounters, melee or magic. So far, it's been the advantage of my sneaky/assassin IF I see them first. The moment I get swarmed, I'm boned. Hagravens tend to summon immediately then fireball spam (lately dual trolls or other insane creature at my level.. ugh) and Wisp Mothers tend to appear randomly with wisp encounters, only appearing after the first kill and landing icy spikes in my arse as I'm dealing with the other 2 wisps... hehe.

It's easier to take down a dragon than these 2 particular encounters for my particular playstyle. Though remind me to never run in to the bandits that are in your game... don't think I've ran in to any that tough in mine (or I have had the luck of landing the first, usually critical/sneak, first). May have to test their abilities just in case.. though admittedly, I tend to "potion up" (Alchemy 100) for the boss fights. May be why they're not as much problems as enemy fodder. :giveup:

Archived