Home

This year needs to end!

Negative Sun

I agree, I lost 2 grandparents, an uncle and a Close friend this Year, but I must say these horrible moments pushed me to get back on the Prowl for a good women lol, Its amazing how being at your lowest makes you realize the things your missing. Bring on 2011! :)

Regarding ME3, I've still gotta finish ME2 lol!

actually, this has been a great year. i dated a fantastically wonderful woman and proposed to her back in June. now, i'm going to be getting married in August, and i really can't wait (despite all the anti-marriage people that start coming out of the woodwork after you tell them).

i also graduated from college this year with a BS in Computer Science, and while i'm still currently working as a PC repairman, prospective jobs as a programmer are starting to open up.

so, ya, a lot of big, good things this year, and there's only more good stuff coming up next year. :D

Yeah, my year wasn't great too... but well, for me, 2010-2011 it's all the same, there is not much that will change because it's a new year... But well 2010 was really like a bad year, and all the bad things started exactly the 1rst January, so I just hope this One brings me more luck x)

I'm torn. On the one hand, I was inundated throughout 2010 by fans of Craprica and Stargate: Voyager to no end. But on the other, both shows have been rightfully canned before the end of the year. So really, 2010 was a bad year to be ****ty sci-fi.

On the whole, I don't see 2011 being a whole lot different than 2010. There's no tangible difference between December 31st and January 1st. They're just days, that happen to be the last and first days of different man-made calendar years. Same ****, different pile.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I was inundated throughout 2010 by fans of Craprica and Stargate: Voyager to no end. But on the other, both shows have been rightfully canned before the end of the year. So really, 2010 was a bad year to be ****ty sci-fi.

On the whole, I don't see 2011 being a whole lot different than 2010. There's no tangible difference between December 31st and January 1st. They're just days, that happen to be the last and first days of different man-made calendar years. Same ****, different pile.

There's a huge difference between December 31st and January 1st...because when January 1st hits, that's when I have to start erasing every date that I write down on a paper because I still think it's 2010 for about 2 months :(

(Warning: Rather Long)

2010 is the end of both the best and the worst decade of my adult life. On the plus side, the ecstatic side, there are these milestones: I got the best job of my entire life, learned how to play chess, took vacations from St. Louis and Florida all the way north to Alaska, and became an up-and-coming star in the public speaking and training/disability field. I grew closer to my family and to God, participated in the first competitive tournaments since my high school days, and witnessed my sister get married and become pregnant! Most of all, I treasured life itself more than I ever have before. In the eighties, I was a very small child, and in the nineties, I was too absorbed in the torments and triumphs of high school to care about more universal questions. In the 2000's, I finally "grew up" and am still in the process!

On the minus side, these shadows linger: I flunked out of college--not once, but twice. I was hospitalized for suicidal clinical depression--also not once, but twice. After the second time I failed at higher education, I ran away desperately to Las Vegas, hoping to start a new life and a new fortune. I ended up gambling away eight hundred precious dollars and my family's even more precious trust. I gained a lot of weight, and a lot of shame and guilt when I had even more trouble with my physical mobility due to same. I rebelled against my religion's edicts, my family's advice, my conscience, and my inner self. I scoffed at the people I believed were "losers", utterly forgetting what it felt like to be the one scoffed at--until I again knew what it meant to lose, and to be lost. In the 2000's, I also "grew down". As much as I regret my follies and failures in this past decade, I know I'm human...

As for 2010: Was it a "plus" or a "minus" year? I'd say it came out even.

Pluses:

My sister's announced pregnancy

A family vacation to Walt Disney World during Thanksgiving week in Orlando

Visiting my aunt over Labor Day

Two official chess tournaments, accredited by the U.S. Chess Federation

Business trips to Atlanta, GA and San Jose, CA

Minuses:

Losing my job

Not being able to find another job, especially due to my physical disability

Sending out resumes/declarations of intent and receiving NO response at all

Filing for unemployment and applying for additional government assistance

Not writing anything epic or finishing any of the games I bought save ME2

Here's hoping the next year (and decade) are even better! :)

I third the notion sabre seconded that urluckyday initially said: Nobody should wish time away.

Unless your troubles are serious, something you can learn from, or something you can do something about, don't dwell on them. Worrying and dwelling is what we do instead of doing what we ought to be doing.

This year has not been without its downsides, but it has been, overall, a rather decent year for me.

I'll start on negatives so I can end on a positive note.

Negatives:

I learned the trade I'm going into has no work, so I couldn't escape the unemployment trap so easily afterall. Huge setback.

A couple friends of mine who had adopted me as trusted family to their two little children broke up this year. I foresee this becoming a problem. I hope I am not going to be dragged into this, but they both have intended and desired that I testify. Each wishing to pit me against the other. It's a no win sitch that will have both of them seeing me as an enemy.

I knew both of them for the ~7 years they were together and even a little bit prior before they met each other. I know I'm not getting the full story from him, but she isn't helping either, refusing to talk and go into detail. Plus seeing the facts as I know them, it does not paint a pretty picture for either of them and most of all for their kids. Though I do expect that they should still be cross with the other: It's only been since July.

I have stretched the tendons out in my right shoulder. It was installing granite counter tops into my parents' home with our contractor. This is difficult because it is both unbelievably heavy work and yet the pieces are fragile enough to break under their own weight if carried the wrong way. Needless to say very, very difficult hard work. This injury is a cost of necessity in some ways. It was unavoidable and I knew the risk.

The doc says it'll heal back but it'll take awhile. The popping in the joint occasionally hurts a tiny little bit, but otherwise is just annoying. Occasional tremors throughout my arm cause a few stability issues, though it is most prominent in my hand for brief periods. (Annoying but at least I'm left handed. :p)

My pet rats both died. One was getting too old and her health was deteriorating, I had to have her put down. The other died early of unnatural causes within 3 months. Rats hold a certain significance in my life, and only those closest to me will ever learn what that truly is.

Neutral:

Learned that there's a few lesbians in my family and a few friends have come out of the closet as gay lesbian or bi over the years. This pits my desire for fair treatment of them against my faith that I won't betray. Consequently I have moved to a neutral position on gay marriage since I cannot prioritize one over the other without guilt, and nothing anyone says on either side will change that. Having gone from one extreme to the other (the latter seen here on LF previously), I'm finally weighed down into the middle, none of this is negotiable nor debatable so do not try to sway me back one way or the other.

Positive:

This year I have managed to stay busy enough that I have almost all my debts paid off now. The recession has not seriously impacted me as bad as I initially thought it would. Something I do not take for granted.

I have started back on going to school. While specifics are uncertain, I now have an inner direction I am following.

I've attained clarity and direction for my life I did not have before--a thing only gained by time.

Have attained a certain peace of mind; certain issues from childhood, though accepted years ago, took awhile to completely come to terms with. I can now say with certainty that I am who I am.

Got to see some close friends who finally got out of the army. Along with it I got to see San Diego as well as visit my other family down in southern CA. Also while not the first vaca ever taken on my own, it was the first time I ever drove down there on my own.

Got to splurge at my discovery of Fry's Electronics.

My current car has continued to hold up excellently.

I have been able to make a serious investment into doing handyman work in general, thanks in no small part to Harbor Freight tools and by extension Cummins Tools.

So I'd say while I've had a 'meh' year, it has been more or less for better.

Here's to another year. May it be the best it can ever be, come what may, thick and thin.

Been a great year for me - got my Bachelor's degree in IT and started studies for a Master's degree in software engineering, got some job offers and, finally, got into a USAID funded project that starts in January. Had a lot of fun too, whether it was by playing various games or going out with friends, there was always something to do. I can only hope that 2011 is as good for me (or better) as 2010 was.

Archived