Home

War starting in Korea

GODKING

I agree completely with that. We may have the strongest army in the world, but we don't have the patriotic spirt that we did during WWII. Don't get me wrong people are still patriotic, but you didn't see the same amount of people join when 9/11 happened as when pearl harbor was bombed. I honestly think that the US isn't capable of fighting on two fronts because of what this new war would cost us in lives and how it would effect the ecomony.[/Quote]

Partly it is because we Americans are spoiled beyond repair. If anyone saw on the news the interviews done by the passengers that were stranded at see on that Carnival cruise, man you would think they were babies. I know I did. Me I would be grateful that there were people willing to get the basic necessities to me even if they were cold sandwiches.

As to the US having the strongest army in the world, would they have a strong contender in Israel since after all the US did train their military and their Mosad from rumors is pretty good.

America isn't pulling from Afghanistan we actually just sent troops 30,000 i think when Obama got into office. His admistration told everyone that we are pulling out of Iraq, but didn't tell everyone they planned on sending troops to Afghanistan. The reason behind this they said is that Afghanstan is now harbouring terrorist because they moved out of Iraq including Americans most wanted terrorist his name not need to be meantion because we all know him. And plus they said that Iraq government is now capable to stand on it owns.[/Quote]

Obviously they forgot that the Taliban is still in Afghanistan. We may have freed whole areas when we first went in but all the Taliban did was flee to the hills and now we are in a dangerous situation of trying to flush them out.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Partly it is because we Americans are spoiled beyond repair. If anyone saw on the news the interviews done by the passengers that were stranded at see on that Carnival cruise, man you would think they were babies. I know I did. Me I would be grateful that there were people willing to get the basic necessities to me even if they were cold sandwiches.

What made us spoiled was modern technology. They use to have to walk to a library, now we can just go on the internet and order the book or download it to your kindle. People use to have to walk miles to go to a store now everyone has a WalMart in the backyard.

As to the US having the strongest army in the world, would they have a strong contender in Israel since after all the US did train their military and their Mosad from rumors is pretty good.

Maybe, but my personal opinion is that we still are stronger because we have the technology that gives us a advanced over anyone, but if Israel could get the technology we have then yes they would be a big contender.

Obviously they forgot that the Taliban is still in Afghanistan. We may have freed whole areas when we first went in but all the Taliban did was flee to the hills and now we are in a dangerous situation of trying to flush them out.

You are correct if you look at some of the war records and video when we first went into Afghanistan and Iraq we had no oppositions because they never fought back they just retreat. (There may have been a few cases where they actually fought back)

I agree completely with that.
You good sir are not agreeing with me because that is not what I meant for the most part.

JediMaster12 on the other hand did get what I meant.

To me it has nothing to do with patriotism. I don’t know anyone that does not love the concept of what this country stands for. However, most of my friends, including myself, do question what this county actually does. These generations are just too spoiled and selfish to being self-sacrificing enough to practice what we preach. Sure we will give $100 or $1000 to help the victims of some earthquake or other tragedy, but don’t ask us to give up our cushy lifestyle to actually make a difference. I volunteer, but don’t ask me to give up my football weekends watching the University of Texas. Even in a 5 and 7 year that isn’t going to happen.

The Great Depression may have been the best thing to happen to America before World War II. It toughened them up for the scarifies that had to be made on the home front in order to support the troops on the battlefield.

To me it has nothing to do with patriotism. I don’t know anyone that does not love the concept of what this country stands for. However, most of my friends, including myself, do question what this county actually does. These generations are just too spoiled and selfish to being self-sacrificing enough to practice what we preach. Sure we will give $100 or $1000 to help the victims of some earthquake or other tragedy, but don’t ask us to give up our cushy lifestyle to actually make a difference. I volunteer, but don’t ask me to give up my football weekends watching the University of Texas. Even in a 5 and 7 year that isn’t going to happen.

I understand that we are spoiled. You may say me being as young as I am don't completely understand, but I do. I see all the time someone gets something and they are like thats not what I wanted and they get anger when they should be happy what they got. (I am not exception) Thats just our "new generations" nature. All people are greedy, now to what extent is what seperates people from each other. People today want to have more and more because they want to have more than someone else. For example: I hear my friends talking about a video game and how cool it is; then I feel left out and I bet you know what I do. I go home and tell my mom that I "need this game" because everyone has it.

Everyone blames my generation, but that how we are "raised" I not saying it we don't contribute to it, but it isn't completely our fault. You got to give some blame to the parents of our generation. If they didn't raise us this way this wouldn't happen.

And what I meant by patriotism was that people are winning to start these wars, (and to support these wars) but when people ask people to fight most of american aren't going to give up our luxury life style to go get shot at and stay on the military bases over there without access to food, tv, and internet 24/7.

The Great Depression may have been the best thing to happen to America before World War II. It toughened them up for the scarifies that had to be made on the home front in order to support the troops on the battlefield.

Well, I wouldn't say its the best thing because it was a horrible time because lots of kids and people starved thats not the kind of toughening we need. (however few died) I will agree with you that it did toughen them for the road ahead.

Sure we will give $100 or $1000 to help the victims of some earthquake or other tragedy, but don’t ask us to give up our cushy lifestyle to actually make a difference. I volunteer, but don’t ask me to give up my football weekends watching the University of Texas. Even in a 5 and 7 year that isn’t going to happen.

Wow. When's the last time that everyone gave up their cushy lifestyles FROM OTHER COUNTRIES to help out the people in Louisiana after hurricane Katrina? I'm sorry that the US gives out the most worldwide aid to just about every country. Isn't it also interesting to think that the US has given a ton of food, water, and money to North Koreans? Regardless if this money comes from the federal gov't (which we pay taxes to all the time), you don't see people protesting with signs saying "stop giving aid to others!" Hm, yeah, we are a terrible group of people right? Just because I could sell my house just to go help someone else, doesn't mean I HAVE to or SHOULD just to be considered un-spoiled or a "good" person.

Don't try to make people feel guilty for being well-off or having a "better" lifestyle than others.

Don't try to make people feel guilty for being well-off or having a "better" lifestyle than others.
Wow you did not get what I was getting at at all did you. Looks at title of thread....War...talking about the sacrifices necessary to fight a war on two fronts. However, you state I was implying something else by taking what I wrote completely out of context.

You really believe Americans are willing to give up getting a new car for 5 years so that we could retool factories to produce war products as we did in WWII?

For the record, I was saying America is very good at giving and making sacrifices as long as it not hinder their personal lives. So no, I do not feel we are willing to give up new cars, have blackouts, or ration as they did in WWII.

I’ll do it if I want to, but that was not what I was doing in the first place. Good job at not paying attention to the context to what was written.

Everyone blames my generation, but that how we are "raised" I not saying it we don't contribute to it, but it isn't completely our fault.
I'm not blaming your generation, which is the reason I wrote generations. I believe all the current generations are at fault. Yours less so, since that generation has not had a chance to make repeat the mistakes of prior generations, yet.

Wow you did not get what I was getting at at all did you. Looks at title of thread....War...talking about the sacrifices necessary to fight a war on two fronts. However, you state I was implying something else by taking what I wrote completely out of context.

You really believe Americans are willing to give up getting a new car for 5 years so that we could retool factories to produce war products as we did in WWII?

For the record, I was saying America is very good at giving and making sacrifices as long as it not hinder their personal lives. So no, I do not feel we are willing to give up new cars, have blackouts, or ration as they did in WWII.

I’ll do it if I want to, but that was not what I was doing in the first place. Good job at not paying attention to the context to what was written.

Please tell me why would need to give up our cars to fight a war at all? We seem to have the most powerful military in the world while still maintaining our "cushy" lifestyles...

Wow. When's the last time that everyone gave up their cushy lifestyles FROM OTHER COUNTRIES to help out the people in Louisiana after hurricane Katrina?

It appears that a small number of countries gave or offered to give a small amount of resources to the cause:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

And before you start criticising the generosity of other countries maybe you should think about the people in your own country who did not help.

^I would NEVER criticize the generosity of anyone (or the character of anyone that didn't give at all)...but focus on the giving up of the lifestyle to help other people. None of those countries giving aid forced their population to give up their lifestyles just to help out others. I think people are generous just by thinking of others no matter how much they can help.

Please tell me why would need to give up our cars to fight a war at all? We seem to have the most powerful military in the world while still maintaining our "cushy" lifestyles...

Well if would have read the thread, you would know that is a question to asked others that were stating the US could not fight a war on two fronts because of the economy. :rolleyes:

Well if would have read the thread, you would know that is a question to asked others that were stating the US could not fight a war on two fronts because of the economy. :rolleyes:

What are you getting so defensive for? I've read the whole thread! I understand what the point of contention is, but I'm asking you, why would we need to expand anything in order to fight on two fronts?

Well personally I don’t think we would unless the two fronts are China and Russia. It is my personal opinion that the economy is not that bad. So in a war in Afghanistan and North Korea about the only real sacrifice I see is $5.00 plus at the pump. Not that I believe the American people would put up with that either.

But yes, the (sad?) fact really is that the two countries will just settle down and there won't be a dramatic finale that everyone seems to expect out of two rivalling nations. :p

That's a possible outcome, just as unification is (following what happened with Germany on the 90's). Certainly one of the most interesting questions of current international relations.

I don't think it will come to two fronts at all - isn't America going to get out of Afghanistan next year (they keep saying that every year :xp: )? Assuming a Korea war takes place, America would, in my opinion, beat retreat from Afghanistan and leave it under care of the democratic government there.
There's hardly anything stable over there as it is now. Not in Iraq and naturally not in Afghanistan. I'd say it's not an option for the US government.

^I would NEVER criticize the generosity of anyone (or the character of anyone that didn't give at all)...but focus on the giving up of the lifestyle to help other people. None of those countries giving aid forced their population to give up their lifestyles just to help out others. I think people are generous just by thinking of others no matter how much they can help.
You do realize that offering helping hands to countries in times of distress is a powerful diplomatic weapon, right? When a government makes such and offer they are not doing that out of kindness of their hearts but rather because they expect to earn something, be that an influence increase with the helped country or with the global society of States.

Plus, when a disaster strikes a poverty-striken country such as Haiti, it's just natural that there's more international help and cooperation. As we can see, that country is virtually no more.

Well personally I don’t think we would unless the two fronts are China and Russia. It is my personal opinion that the economy is not that bad. So in a war in Afghanistan and North Korea about the only real sacrifice I see is $5.00 plus at the pump. Not that I believe the American people would put up with that either.

Well, it's possible that opening up the 38th Parallel conflict could bring China and Russia into the conflict as well (however unlikely, the possibility is there). If these two nations entered the conflict on NK's side, definite changes would have to be made, as though the US's economy is not horrible, it certainly isn't in a condition to fight a superpower like China or Russia. Let alone both with North Korea and Afghanistan....

The American public would definitley be upset with that kind've conflict, as the economy would take a huge hit if we were to fight a nation we rely so greatly upon.

In reality, America's situation isn't all that different from the first time the North Korean tanks rolled into Seoul...

Well, for one no Americans are not willing to, but neither is any other country. Plus no one is really buying new cars in this recession. And right now we shouldn't trying to sacrifice anything. We need to try to put money back into circulation.

I don't think we are willing to because now we don't have too. We aren't going to have a blackout anytime soon because we have enough power to manage our needs. Stuff like that doesn't happen now because supply for that stuff meets demand. And if we need more of something to supply for the war the places that make that stuff will increase production.

I'm not blaming your generation, which is the reason I wrote generations. I believe all the current generations are at fault. Yours less so, since that generation has not had a chance to make repeat the mistakes of prior generations yet.

Well, if you give me a way to change besides raising my kids different when i grow up im open ears.

And before you start criticising the generosity of other countries maybe you should think about the people in your own country who did not help.

For one i don't know anywhere in the United States that people didn't donate money or something to them. Even years after Katrina people flocked down there to still help rebuild homes for people who lost theirs. So don't talk about how people in our country didn't help.

For one i don't know anywhere in the United States that people didn't donate money or something to them. Even years after Katrina people flocked down there to still help rebuild homes for people who lost theirs. So don't talk about how people in our country didn't help.

But did every single American who was capable of going to Louisiana go? Why is it fair to be disappointed with other countries who did not "[force] their population to give up their lifestyles just to help out others" (post 59) when the US government did not force Americans to give up their own lifestyles?

Plus no one is really buying new cars in this recession.

Really, you are not being serious are you?

GMC sold 1,856,944 vehicles in 2010 through November up 7.0% from 2009

Ford sold 1,741,343 vehicles in 2010 through November up 21.1% from 2009

Chrysler LLC sold 984,509 vehicles in 2010 through November up 16.5 % from 2009

Toyota sold 1,582,289 vehicles in 2010 through November up .02% from 2009

American Honda sold 1,100,64 in 2010 through November up 5.5% from 2009

Nissan North America Inc. sold 814,840 in 2010 through November up 17% from 2009

Hyundai Motor America sold 493,426 in 2010 through November up 23.% from 2009

Mazda Motor of America Inc sold 208,087 through November up 9.8% from 2009

Kia Motors America Inc sold 325,824 through November up 16.8% from 2009

Subaru of America Inc sold 237,126 through November up 22.5% from 2009

American Suzuki Motor Corp sold 21,347 through November down 42.% from 2009

Mercedes-Benz sold 203,475 through November up 18.6% from 2009

Saab sold 4,371 through November down 44.0% from 2009

Volvo sold 49192 through November down 11.8% form 2009

Do I need to go on or will you admit someone is purchasing vehicles in this economy.

But did every single American who was capable of going to Louisiana go? Why is it fair to be disappointed with other countries who did not "[force] their population to give up their lifestyles just to help out others" (post 59) when the US government did not force Americans to give up their own lifestyles?

Who said I was disappointed with it at all? Someone else pointed out that it's a disappointment that not ALL Americans sacrifice everything to help out with any "noble" cause, and I merely pointed out that no one in any other country does it either. That's all.

I really don't think a war's going to break out in Korea anytime soon... I actually find the idea of a peaceful reunification more likely than another war.

Unification won't happen until China sits on the Kim family hard enough and/or feeds them anti-psychotic medication. War, on the other hand, is entirely possible because the Kims are as insane as Saddam Hussein was, thinking they can take on the US.

Unification won't happen until China sits on the Kim family hard enough and/or feeds them anti-psychotic medication. War, on the other hand, is entirely possible because the Kims are as insane as Saddam Hussein was, thinking they can take on the US.

100% agree. China is the key at this point...too bad that their government is just as oppressive and "evil" as North Korea's.

100% agree. China is the key at this point...too bad that their government is just as oppressive and "evil" as North Korea's.

Well...that type of government does have its advantages for Korea...if the North were to collapse after Kim Jong Il's death, I doubt China would step in to restore order. They'd be too busy trying to find an internationally acceptable way to handle refugees to even care about what happens to their 'black sheep' of a cousin. Oppressive governments have a tendency not to stick up for eachother..unless its absolutley necessary.

I think China is a big factor in this also because no matter what they are going to go with us because without trade with the US they are going to have a huge economic problems. As you are know that a majority of stuff in the US is made by China.

GMC sold 1,856,944 vehicles in 2010 through November up 7.0% from 2009

Ford sold 1,741,343 vehicles in 2010 through November up 21.1% from 2009

Chrysler LLC sold 984,509 vehicles in 2010 through November up 16.5 % from 2009

Toyota sold 1,582,289 vehicles in 2010 through November up .02% from 2009

American Honda sold 1,100,64 in 2010 through November up 5.5% from 2009

Nissan North America Inc. sold 814,840 in 2010 through November up 17% from 2009

Hyundai Motor America sold 493,426 in 2010 through November up 23.% from 2009

Mazda Motor of America Inc sold 208,087 through November up 9.8% from 2009

Kia Motors America Inc sold 325,824 through November up 16.8% from 2009

Subaru of America Inc sold 237,126 through November up 22.5% from 2009

American Suzuki Motor Corp sold 21,347 through November down 42.% from 2009

Mercedes-Benz sold 203,475 through November up 18.6% from 2009

Saab sold 4,371 through November down 44.0% from 2009

Volvo sold 49192 through November down 11.8% form 2009

Now how many of those got repo or foreclosed by the bank or by the car dealership because they couldn't make the payments on the car or the loan they used to pay for the car. And those include any car that is sold by them which means OLD cars and NEW cars. Also people trade in cars and get a major discount because of so. So it isn't like everyone is spending 20,000 dollars on a brand new car.

And a lot of people must not be buying cars because they wouldn't be closing most of their assemby lines if people were buying cars and MEETING their payments.

http://adrianbalan.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/worldwide-car-sales-20093.jpg

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/?p=8673

Look at this two websites first one shows the differences in cars sold worldwide in 2008-2009. The second one shows 10 major car makers that have filed or are about to file for bankruptcy

So I don't think people are buying as many cars as you think and actually paying the whole car off.

Do I need to go on or will you admit someone is purchasing vehicles in this economy.

Someone is buying cars, but those stastics are also WORLDWIDE sales if I am correct. Yes someone, but not all of those cars are sold in the US. And not including the factors I listed above. You said Americans aren't willing to give up their new cars well i don't think that many americans actually have knew cars to give up.

No, but could they have donated money to a Katrina fund? Thats still contributing is it not? And I never said anything about other countries I just commented on the fact you said that we should be think about the people in our country that didn't donate. I pretty confident that almost everyone in the United States donate some money ranging from some change in their pocket to millions.

Archived