Home

Would you rather be a SITH or a JEDI?!?!?

GODKING

Would you rather learn the way of the war craving Sith or follow the way of peaceful Jedi? Before deciding ask yourself these questions:

The way of the Sith is not necessarily the way of war. In fact, it has little to do with it, if you think through pretty carefully. Like the Jedi do, the Sith use war as a tool, a tool to make their points clear. Palpy showed that, when he had the Republic's war won just to turn the Republic into an Empire. While the Jedi, since before the days of Master Odan-Urr and the Great Hyperspace War, knew that some people you just can't reason with: you gotta smack them in the head hard enough to convince them to back down. A Sith who's only a Sith because he's a war-lover is not really a Sith: he's a war-lover. A true Sith is a control-lover. If he can achieve control by going into war, he does so. If he can achieve control without the ignition of his lightsaber, so much the better. If he can have his enemies fight a war for him, that's good too. Or he can have his enemies destroy each other in war.

Likewise, calling the Jedi pacifists is a gross simplification: Jedi do what needs to be done to ensure that peace and prosperity will take hold eventually. Even if it means to go to war. The difference is: it is quite rare for the Republic (and therefore the Jedi) to start a war, because the very nature of that government and the Order is contrary to needless expansionism/imperialism. While to the Sith, the need for dominance and control is natural to their philosophy, and these things more often than not require a war. But our good Sith Lord Darth Sidious shows there are really many forms to gain control, such as when he assassinated the non-Neimoidian heads of the Trade Federation, thus asserting exclusive neimoidian control over the body. And therefore, exclusive Sith control of the body.

• Are you patience in your decision making? Or are you a shoot first then ask question kinda guy/girl?

I would say I am. Bad thing of being a scientist (maybe it's a good thing) - I have to know next to everything about something before I can decide what to do with this something.

• Are you quick to join a war no matter the reason behind the war? Or are you the type that sits and mediates about the decision?

Depends. I can act rashly, but for the most important issues, I tend to sit back and meditate, in order to decide how to deal with the problem best.

• Do you show signs of emotion no matter if they are good or bad?

All the time.

• Are you looking out for #1 or are you a more universal person?

?

• Are you a greedy person or do you look to help others?

I help those who help me. As for those who do not, and especially those whom I don't like, well, I don't usually go out of my way for these people.

• Do you embrace the dark side within or do you suppress it?

That's relative. Embracing the Dark Side makes nobody a follower of Sith philosophy, it just makes them... well, prone to fall to the Dark Side. The Sith are more than darksiders.

I myself feel I would rather learn the ways of the Sith because I want to be able to show my emotions and become attached to other people.

The problem is not showing emotions, the problem is being controlled by them. That's the way I see it, however. Qui-Gon, for his attachments, to me was wiser than Master Yoda, with his distant denial of earthly connections.

Also I see more benefits in the dark side than with what I see in the path of the Jedi. And hay I may even become a Sith Lord if I play my cards right. Whats the farthest you can get with the Jedi teachings on a Council that by the time they decide on a decision it no longer helps the problem.

This reeks of KotOR to me, I wonder why...

You're wrong. It is the way of the Jedi during Yoda's time to be less pro-active than they were on sources other than KotOR. But this isn't true of all time periods in the Star Wars universe, just read Tales of the Jedi, Jedi vs. Sith, or pretty much anything on the EU. In fact, it's unecessary even to go that far. Just look at Luke Skywalker. Does anybody deny his actions were pivotal in redeeming Vader and thus ending the reign of the Sith?

Thinking like a Jedi is not thinking everything through over and over again: it's trying to see all ends, in order to make the best decision to face any problem you might have to face.

Me? I lean towards the Sith philosophy (the punk philosophy, actually): you want something done, do it yourself. But I tend to stick to this gray side: people should learn to walk with their own legs. But for me to take the right course of action, well, it takes a bloody hell of a lot of meditation. Though only for the most important issues: the least important issues are not so important as to demand much thought. And I don't try to reach my goals despite of consequences to other people, either.

of being a scientist

Funny, you've not introduced yourself as such in appropriate threads and become acquainted with other members.

:smirk2:

That's relative. Embracing the Dark Side makes nobody a follower of Sith philosophy, it just makes them... well, prone to fall to the Dark Side. The Sith are more than darksiders.
And that something more would be...what?

The problem is not showing emotions, the problem is being controlled by them. That's the way I see it, however. Qui-Gon, for his attachments, to me was wiser than Master Yoda, with his distant denial of earthly connections.

Ever mindful of the 'living force' supposedly he was communicating with yoda from beyond. He'd found the way to continue to exist consciously after death.

This reeks of KotOR to me, I wonder why...

Hear that? The one who blithely ignores the fact he's in the KOTOR section and seems to want to discuss general star wars is now correcting another newcomer about reeking of KOTOR.

Look, if all you want is to discuss general star wars, then please feel free to do so:

http://lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=436

Have fun.

Don't go off into deriding other people while you're jere just because what they're saying "sounds too much like KOTOR".

You're wrong. It is the way of the Jedi during Yoda's time to be less pro-active than they were on sources other than KotOR.

Is it? Or is it more due to the fact that their numbers dwindled across the galaxy at that point in juncture?

If you're referring to their reluctance to get into politics, I think it's safe to say they had their reasons. Plus it was illegal for a jedi to hold any official position after the Ruusan Reformation.

Me? I lean towards the Sith philosophy (the punk philosophy, actually): you want something done, do it yourself.

Punk? I assume you're not referring to the fashion/music/political lifestyle spurned from a movement in the 70's. If you are, then the word can be made to mean whatever you want so it is therefore useless because it is so subjective as to not be relevant in the real world.

There are other definitions, but the most relevant are all based more or less around the idea of inexperience and servitude (to put it kindly). That does not sound like philosophy encompassing "do it yourself". I'm sorry, you'll have to try again.

But I tend to stick to this gray side: people should learn to walk with their own legs. But for me to take the right course of action, well, it takes a bloody hell of a lot of meditation.
Fair enough. This comes across as more pondering deeply as opposed to a trance to alter your state of mind. Just saying.

Though only for the most important issues: the least important issues are not so important as to demand much thought. And I don't try to reach my goals despite of consequences to other people, either.

So you'd simply not achieve something if doing so would harm another, would this still be the case if the opposite were true, where not achieving would harm someone? Explain.

Funny, you've not introduced yourself as such in appropriate threads and become acquainted with other members.

Lol, I wans't even aware there were such such threads. My comment was made for solely one purpose: justifying my opinion. In fact, for that very purpose it is not strictly necessary.

And that something more would be...what?

To be a Sith requires acceptance of philosophical concepts. Such as desire power for power's sake, survival of the fittest... That sort of thing. If the Sith were only and truly defined by their darkside, simple thugs such as Xanatos and all the bunch of "common" darksiders that certainly do exist throughout the SW universe could brag on about being Sith.

Ever mindful of the 'living force' supposedly he was communicating with yoda from beyond. He'd found the way to continue to exist consciously after death.

That's not what I meant when I said that. I meant to say Qui-gon was less prone to go by the book, as was the Jedi way at the time (Yoda's way too, as he demonstrates when Obi-wan in knighted by the end of Episode I), and was more prone to go about on his instincts, to do what must be done.

Hear that? The one who blithely ignores the fact he's in the KOTOR section and seems to want to discuss general star wars is now correcting another newcomer about reeking of KOTOR.

To the first part, I see it is fair enough. As to the second, I believe KotOR is actually indissociable from general Star Wars. In fact, it's bloody supposed to be, because it is part of a whole, and that whole happens to be hmmm... general Star Wars.

Look, if all you want is to discuss general star wars, then please feel free to do so:

http://lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=436

Have fun.

Sure will.

Is it? Or is it more due to the fact that their numbers dwindled across the galaxy at that point in juncture?

No, it's because after 4000 years of fighting the Sith, the Jedi decided to go over everything that has passed, and try to correct the mistakes they made that allowed each time for a Sith Lord to emerge from the ranks of the Jedi Order itself and shake its foundations, set the galaxy on fire, etc...

If you're referring to their reluctance to get into politics, I think it's safe to say they had their reasons. Plus it was illegal for a jedi to hold any official position after the Ruusan Reformation.

I'm referring to their behaviour as a whole: they sat back and talked about everything, from the tenets of the Order to its political stance, where only the most important issues should deserve such an approach.

Punk? I assume you're not referring to the fashion/music/political lifestyle spurned from a movement in the 70's. If you are, then the word can be made to mean whatever you want so it is therefore useless because it is so subjective as to not be relevant in the real world.

There are other definitions, but the most relevant are all based more or less around the idea of inexperience and servitude (to put it kindly). That does not sound like philosophy encompassing "do it yourself". I'm sorry, you'll have to try again.

A matter of opinion, in my opinion. And I may be here to discuss Star Wars, but not punk philosophy and your interpretation of it.

Fair enough. This comes across as more pondering deeply as opposed to a trance to alter your state of mind. Just saying.

I'm not discussing ethereal concepts involving states of mind and all that, I'm discussing philosophical approaches on how to handle most situations.

So you'd simply not achieve something if doing so would harm another, would this still be the case if the opposite were true, where not achieving would harm someone? Explain.

I don't f$%*@ up people for my own benefit, that's what I was trying to say.

That sounds quite Jedi-ish to me, "Darth". You claim yourself a Sith, yet it's blatantly obvious by several of your posts that you also cling to the Jedi. Do you not think a Sith would harm another for his/her own benefit? Hence the reason that Sith apprentices kill their masters to become the Dark Lord. It's survival of the fittest, Primus. Sith look out only for themselves.

Example... Darth Nihilus (or as you call him, oblivously, Darth Galactus) destroyed whole worlds to be able to survive... he's a Sith Lord... he knows that the Sith ideals only have oneself at the center of the universe. Only the Jedi care about other people throughout the Galaxy.

@K. Solo: Already said he tends to stick with the gray.

Lol, I wans't even aware there were such such threads. My comment was made for solely one purpose: justifying my opinion. In fact, for that very purpose it is not strictly necessary.

Well then, justified or no, why not introduce yourself in the "getting to know each other" thread at the top of ahto? For a start anyways...

To be a Sith requires acceptance of philosophical concepts. Such as desire power for power's sake, survival of the fittest... That sort of thing. If the Sith were only and truly defined by their darkside, simple thugs such as Xanatos and all the bunch of "common" darksiders that certainly do exist throughout the SW universe could brag on about being Sith.
So essentially followers of their own philosophy. Sounds a lot like everyone else if you can get past the whole nihilistic, subjugating, cruelty thing.

That's not what I meant when I said that. I meant to say Qui-gon was less prone to go by the book, as was the Jedi way at the time (Yoda's way too, as he demonstrates when Obi-wan in knighted by the end of Episode I), and was more prone to go about on his instincts, to do what must be done.
I think everyone does that, but that could just be me. What made Qui Gon Jinn different is he was willing to be more defined by it.

To the first part, I see it is fair enough. As to the second, I believe KotOR is actually indissociable from general Star Wars. In fact, it's bloody supposed to be, because it is part of a whole, and that whole happens to be hmmm... general Star Wars.

Difference of opinion I suppose? Still, the entirety of the Expanded Universe is so vast with such a huge timeline, I would contend it is just as dissociable as any other part and it sort of needs to be that way to keep it from getting too confusing.

This doesn't mean we cannot liken something in one era to another, it means we cannot do it at the cost of relevance; we must come full circle. Bearing this in mind I don't see, pray tell, how being too kotor specific (as opposed to departures from it) is a problem.

No, it's because after 4000 years of fighting the Sith,

Must be another difference of technicality. They hadn't fought sith since the ruusan reformation, so I'd say more like 3000 years and a near 1 millennium break saw them surprised and nearly completely purged. The sith may have been secretly at war with the Jedi meanwhile, but the jedi (mistakenly) were under the impression the sith were extinct. Just saying.

the Jedi decided to go over everything that has passed, and try to correct the mistakes they made that allowed each time for a Sith Lord to emerge from the ranks of the Jedi Order itself and shake its foundations, set the galaxy on fire, etc...

They do that every time. The Exile reforming the order. To Luke reforming it. It ends basically the same way every time regardless.

I'm referring to their behaviour as a whole: they sat back and talked about everything, from the tenets of the Order to its political stance, where only the most important issues should deserve such an approach.

OK let's go back to what you said then:

You're wrong. It is the way of the Jedi during Yoda's time to be less pro-active than they were on sources other than KotOR.

So essentially what you're saying is: The lack of a proactive role inevitably comes from complacency built up over time and is applicable to anyone and anything. At any time; that the real issue here is that debating to a point where decisive priority is lacking is a flaw inherent in "thought before action". Correct?

A matter of opinion, in my opinion. And I may be here to discuss Star Wars, but not punk philosophy and your interpretation of it.

Yes. It is your opinion. Which makes it subjective.

My point is when you say you go off of "punk philosophy" is that there's a huge difference what it means to you vs what it means to others others. You do yourself a great disservice by not using objective terms universally understood. You hinder communicaiton with others as well.

I'm not discussing ethereal concepts involving states of mind and all that, I'm discussing philosophical approaches on how to handle most situations.
Gtocha.

Hence you say you're gray jedi.

That sounds quite Jedi-ish to me' date=' "Darth". You claim yourself a Sith, yet it's blatantly obvious by several of your posts that you also cling to the Jedi. Do you not think a Sith would harm another for his/her own benefit? Hence the reason that Sith apprentices kill their masters to become the Dark Lord. It's survival of the fittest, Primus. Sith look out only for themselves.[/quote']

And when did I call myself Sith, sonny? Saying one leans more towards Sith philosophy is not calling oneself a Sith. That's saying one leans more towards Sith philosophy.

It's blatantly obvious from my previous posts I am critical of some Jedi precects as well as some Sith precects. I happen to believe in survival of the fittest, but that does not mean pulling someone's carpet outright. Even of the least fit ones. that's the difference between what I believe, and a Sith.

Example... Darth Nihilus (or as you call him' date=' oblivously, Darth Galactus) destroyed whole worlds to be able to survive... he's a Sith Lord... he knows that the Sith ideals only have oneself at the center of the universe. Only the Jedi care about other people throughout the Galaxy.[/quote']

So let's all give Darth Galactus a round of applause, for being called a Sith Lord and acting like one! True, the Jedi care about other people throughout the Galaxy where the Sith do not, but the Jedi are compassionate (they care for people inconditionally of their past history/prejudice regarding these people, it's central to their philosophy). I am not compassionate, not in the least. But I don't go out to kill each morning, I don't go out of my way to help people, except for those who go out of their way to help me, but I don't go out of my way to harm them either.

So essentially followers of their own philosophy. Sounds a lot like everyone else if you can get past the whole nihilistic, subjugating, cruelty thing.

Precisely.

I think everyone does that, but that could just be me. What made Qui Gon Jinn different is he was willing to be more defined by it.

His actions were defined by just that. For example, had Qui-gon been set to chase Jango Fett in Episode II, I wouldn't believe he'd make as many reports to the Council as Obi-wan did. He'd just go after Jango and, once that was cleared, he'd sort out the details and report later.

Difference of opinion I suppose? Still, the entirety of the Expanded Universe is so vast with such a huge timeline, I would contend it is just as dissociable as any other part and it sort of needs to be that way to keep it from getting too confusing.

Well, when one discusses a broad matter such as the Sith, or the Jedi, sticking to one era is too restrictive. Because they change over time.

This doesn't mean we cannot liken something in one era to another, it means we cannot do it at the cost of relevance; we must come full circle. Bearing this in mind I don't see, pray tell, how being too kotor specific (as opposed to departures from it) is a problem.

Granted.

Must be another difference of technicality. They hadn't fought sith since the ruusan reformation, so I'd say more like 3000 years and a near 1 millennium break saw them surprised and nearly completely purged. The sith may have been secretly at war with the Jedi meanwhile, but the jedi (mistakenly) were under the impression the sith were extinct. Just saying.

It was 4000 years of fighting Sith.

5000 BBY: Great Hyperspace War

4000 BBY: Old Sith Wars

3000 BBY: The rise of Darth Ruin

1000 BBY: The rise of Darth Bane, the 7 Battles of Ruusan and the Ruusan Reformation

And that impression you spoke of ended with the rising of Darth Maul. I know that the 50 years the Jedi spent knowing the Sith from the death of Darth Maul to the death of Palpatine is little compared to the 950 years of ignorance, but the fact remains: they were adapted to fight the old Sith, which were a threat from without. Not the new ones, which happened to be berthed at the seat of galactic government.

They do that every time. The Exile reforming the order. To Luke reforming it. It ends basically the same way every time regardless.

Up to the point of the Ruusan Reformation, I have a different perception of the Order. I feel the change that undergoes the Order after each major crisis is not as radical as the change resulting from the Ruusan Reformation itself. I see that period as a period of radical change to both orders: of the Sith and of the Jedi. But that's me, and I have little argument to support that. But since I was referring throughout my text to Jedi of Yoda's time, it matters little too.

OK let's go back to what you said then:

So essentially what you're saying is: The lack of a proactive role inevitably comes from complacency built up over time and is applicable to anyone and anything. At any time; that the real issue here is that debating to a point where decisive priority is lacking is a flaw inherent in "thought before action". Correct?

Like I said before, I was referring to the Jedi of Yoda's time. I meant to say too much thought about everything can be detrimental. But the most important issues should have that amout of thought, like I said in my first post.

Yes. It is your opinion. Which makes it subjective.

My point is when you say you go off of "punk philosophy" is that there's a huge difference what it means to you vs what it means to others others. You do yourself a great disservice by not using objective terms universally understood. You hinder communicaiton with others as well.

What do you have of objective then? I believe in the following philosophy: "Want something done? Do it yourself." That's been clear from the start. If I call it "punk philosophy", "Sith philosophy" or "Teletubbie philosophy" is entirely up to me, and irrelevant in all its aspects.

Gtocha.

Hence you say you're gray jedi.

Well, I don't like that term. xD I blend some Jedi and some Sith precects. But I tend to lean more towards the Sith side of things (always was one to cheer for the bad guys).

• 1 month later...

How about "to hell with them both." Is "to hell with them both" an option?!

Right now, one of the reasons I'm really stuck when it comes to writing anything for the GFFA is because that kriffing witch Traya had a point. So did that borderline alcoholic and chronic gambler Mr. Rand.

Both of them are men and women who have too much power, no checks on that power, want to destroy the other faction completely (by conversion or death), and turn the galaxy into a blood-soaked battleground over and over again, fighting the same oversized gang war for 25,000+ years while solving absolutely nothing and killing untold trillions in the crossfire.

The Force gives them the ability to do incredible and awesome things, but look what it does to the people who use it.

* If you're Jedi, then those who can't feel the Force are sheep to tend. If you're Sith, they're sheep to slaughter...but everyone else is still sheep.

* If you're Jedi, you're cut off from your family, told not to make friends, punished for making connections with other people, and exiled if you have a child, spouse, etc. The Order is Mother. The Order is Father. The Order are your friends; trust the Jedi Order.

* If you're Sith, you're either tested by having to kill your loved ones...or you go so bat guano crazy on the Dark Side that you kill them impulsively. Either way, the jealous Force wants no competing passions, no conflicting loyalties, nothing that could possibly get between a addict and their drug...er, a Adept and the Force.

* If you're Jedi, you're told to make yourself dead inside. There is no emotion...there is no passion..."don't grieve for those lost. If you have the perfect little detachment, you shouldn't care if they die, you should celebrate it because they're part of the Force" (aka "the only thing that matters").

* If you're a Sith, the only thing you're allowed to feel is rage, anger, pain, and power-lust. Lovely...

* If you're a Jedi, you're taken away from your family at infancy or early childhood by some jackass with a lightsaber, shut up in an Enclave for 12 years until someone either deigns to train you or you're thrown out like trash (Mical), or shoved into a dead-end job in the Service Corps. If you're one of the "lucky" ones that gets trained, expect to die horribly (but doing some small good in a rather uncaring universe).

* If you're Sith, you're at least recruited at the age of consent for what is inevitably a short and brutish life, but great for making everyone else in your path hurt just as badly as you do.

And if you're an ordinary citizen and the lightsabers show up, bend over and kiss your shebs goodbye because you're just so much collateral damage. The Jedi will at least feel bad when you end up dead.

How about "to hell with them both." Is "to hell with them both" an option?!

I swear sometimes I almost forget about our differences when you talk like this. :dev9:

Right now, one of the reasons I'm really stuck when it comes to writing anything for the GFFA is because that kriffing witch Traya had a point. So did that borderline alcoholic and chronic gambler Mr. Rand.

Oh face it, you drove your blade through her when you had to. I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near as fond of Atton either.

Both of them are men and women who have too much power, no checks on that power, want to destroy the other faction completely (by conversion or death), and turn the galaxy into a blood-soaked battleground over and over again, fighting the same oversized gang war for 25,000+ years while solving absolutely nothing and killing untold trillions in the crossfire.

Eh? I thought the great schism wasn't until 20,000 years after the initial forming of the JO and the republic... Then again when you take into consideration that force wielding darksiders whom inspired the sith came from tython as did the jedi...I suppose you have a point albeit a minor technical inaccuracy. :D

The Force gives them the ability to do incredible and awesome things, but look what it does to the people who use it.

* If you're Jedi, then those who can't feel the Force are sheep to tend. If you're Sith, they're sheep to slaughter...but everyone else is still sheep.

* If you're Jedi, you're cut off from your family, told not to make friends, punished for making connections with other people, and exiled if you have a child, spouse, etc. The Order is Mother. The Order is Father. The Order are your friends; trust the Jedi Order.

* If you're Sith, you're either tested by having to kill your loved ones...or you go so bat guano crazy on the Dark Side that you kill them impulsively. Either way, the jealous Force wants no competing passions, no conflicting loyalties, nothing that could possibly get between a addict and their drug...er, a Adept and the Force.

* If you're Jedi, you're told to make yourself dead inside. There is no emotion...there is no passion..."don't grieve for those lost. If you have the perfect little detachment, you shouldn't care if they die, you should celebrate it because they're part of the Force" (aka "the only thing that matters").

* If you're a Sith, the only thing you're allowed to feel is rage, anger, pain, and power-lust. Lovely...

* If you're a Jedi, you're taken away from your family at infancy or early childhood by some jackass with a lightsaber, shut up in an Enclave for 12 years until someone either deigns to train you or you're thrown out like trash (Mical), or shoved into a dead-end job in the Service Corps. If you're one of the "lucky" ones that gets trained, expect to die horribly (but doing some small good in a rather uncaring universe).

* If you're Sith, you're at least recruited at the age of consent for what is inevitably a short and brutish life, but great for making everyone else in your path hurt just as badly as you do.

Well think of it this way, the TOR comics showed that even most people with lightsabers at that point, important or pion, are little to nothing without their lightsabers and powers.

Everyone appreciates a little charm. :dev10:

And if you're an ordinary citizen and the lightsabers show up, bend over and kiss your shebs goodbye because you're just so much collateral damage. The Jedi will at least feel bad when you end up dead.

OR have a ton of expendable resources and survival skills so you can last maybe a little longer in untamed space should you happen to survive the encounter. :D

My opinion of Atton was "You're clearly insane, high, or both. You've crashed my ship three times, and you're barely able to hold a conversation that doesn't involve gambling or booze. Here's two-hundred credits. Get wasted, find a Twi'lek hooker, and forget you ever saw me." (My DSM Exile, however, is actually pretty fond of him, since they're rather similar in mentality.) My thought on Kreia was that she left her Gom Jabbar and Box of Pain in her other robes.

While I think Kreia, Atton, and Vrook can take a long walk out the short airlock (and use G0-T0 as a volleyball on the way), that doesn't mean they don't occasionally come up with scathingly good points. It's kinda like watching Fox News. 90% of what's said is repulsive, but that 10% hits dead on.

But yeah, I'm lumping the Legions of Lettow and the Schism in with the Sith because it's "same crap, different name." they just happened to like the style of this near-human species out in the middle of galactic nowhere, so they took the name and kept it.

Either way, the Lightsiders want the Darksiders dead or converted. The Darksiders want the Lightsiders dead or converted. The names change, but the rest of the galaxy still gets a lightsaber up the shebs either way.

My opinion of Atton was "You're clearly insane, high, or both. You've crashed my ship three times, and you're barely able to hold a conversation that doesn't involve gambling or booze. Here's two-hundred credits. Get wasted, find a Twi'lek hooker, and forget you ever saw me." (My DSM Exile, however, is actually pretty fond of him, since they're rather similar in mentality.)
Ah, viewed positively only when leaning farthest away from redeeming one another or one's own redemption. A certain un-fondness all too similar to the mean old scow.

My thought on Kreia was that she left her Gom Jabbar and Box of Pain in her other robes.

Which she could have carried with her practically that whole time. Incidentally some people saw it first but were shunned for their scoundrel-like ways which speaks for itself. :)

While I think Kreia, Atton, and Vrook can take a long walk out the short airlock (and use G0-T0 as a volleyball on the way), that doesn't mean they don't occasionally come up with scathingly good points. It's kinda like watching Fox News. 90% of what's said is repulsive, but that 10% hits dead on.

Touche, and likewise to those on the opposite side, especially to those with a constant axe to grind.

Ah but you do have if ever so slightly a favor towards the light side. And why not? Mikey did spark a little interest there, but alas you've caused enough havoc in the galaxy; now its new jedi order needs its new leader so you ultimately could not bring yourself to soil such satin purity of the only one who actually remained true to the order by the way he lived. Bittersweet or just plain bitter?

The Echani and the Miraluka may hate each other, but damn if they ever wavered in their support. And even Atris never said die without first saying love.

But yeah, I'm lumping the Legions of Lettow and the Schism in with the Sith because it's "same crap, different name." they just happened to like the style of this near-human species out in the middle of galactic nowhere, so they took the name and kept it.

We musn't forget there are also those amongst the other side who actually would mean well were they only shown how. Unless we are more like that old witch than we thought. :dev9:

Either way, the Lightsiders want the Darksiders dead or converted. The Darksiders want the Lightsiders dead or converted. The names change, but the rest of the galaxy still gets a lightsaber up the shebs either way.

Well, but you did acknowledge that the patriotic and militant brutes of the republic did have a lick of compassion. And besides, Even force sensitive need a little hand once in a while.

I'd have to say that I'd be on the fence, and go with a gray Jedi, leaning a little more towards the light, a la Jolee Bindo. As with most philosophies, on a personal level, both the Sith and Jedi mentality have some truths to them. Strength is invaluable to survival, and compassion is important for a maintenance of personal integrity. You don't want to be a doormat, and you want to assert personal vindications and rights, yet the greater good, and making a lasting, positive impact on history, should be a focal point for everything you do.

The problem with Sith and Jedi factions, which is again a trend seen in most real life philosophies, is that a large number of organised followers leads to corruption and twisted forms of the original message. The Jedi Order focuses far too much on restraint and servitude, which will only lead to outbreaks of rebellion, because no being of emotion can withstand a constant repression like that. And emotion is only natural, but not when taken to an extreme. The powers of the dark side aren't inherently dark, but, when used in excess, they dominate and twist the psyche of the user. It's much like emotional eating, but in a far more dangerous context. The Sith desires to kill, enslave, and conquer are driven by this excessive use, and are wrong for obvious reasons.

The Force, in the Star Wars universe, is the primary impetus for change in the galaxy. It connects all life together, so life cannot exist without it, save for special cases like the Exile or the Yuuzan Vong. There will always be Force sensitives, and they will always discover and try to use their powers. Better to give them some sort a philosophy than to let them wreak havoc by using untrained Force abilities. That doesn't mean that they should be sent to the Jedi or the Sith; instead, they should be taught a balance of individual philosophy that gives them a strong sense of purpose and identity. If the Force is a sentient entity, then it's pretty evident that it doesn't give a damn for light or dark, so it's better to think of the Force as an energy to be harnessed. Direction, then, must come from the user.

Rigidly structured lines of contention are the main reasons the Sith and Jedi became such bitter enemies. If they just married the best of their traits together, it might be a different story.

The Dark Side does have the disadvantage of making most of its users act like they're high on PCP and/or crack cocaine. Does about as well for their physical health and life-span, too.

The Light Siders? The average Jedi? Sure, let them crash on your sofa and drink your last beer. Good folks, trying to make the universe a better place on their way out than when they came in. It's true that I really do like Mical. He doesn't just talk a good game, he's willing to live it, too. I also thought the pre-Exar Kun Jedi and Luke's New Order had the right ideas. The Force comes first, the Order second, and you can still expect a high chance of dying horribly...but they aren't divorced from the people they protect. (In this, the Lars family and Han probably had more influence on Jedi policy than they'd ever realize). I even thought Atris had a spectacularly good idea in training an order of Force-resistant guards to keep watch on Jedi, acting as a bridge between the saber-swingers and the Force-deaf (the flaw in the plan was that the Grand Mistress had already gone mad).

Where they start getting obnoxious is when the group-think kicks in, and when they do their best to divorce themselves from anything other than a feedback loop of their own greatness. It's when their apprentices are taken from their families and have no concept about how ordinary people live. It's when they talk a good game about being protectors of the Republic when the Mandalorians have blasted everyone else in a five-kilometer radius. It's when The Force and The Code become the only things that matter, and that everything else has to be handled with tongs (and a measure of contempt) or forbidden.

And I do like the Republic. For all of its many flaws, it's a place where the average, ordinary sentient can be left alone to pursue their path in peace.

Archived