• Mass Effect 2
    • Pokemon: Heartgold/Soulsilver
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Starcraft II: The Wings of Liberty
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games I am aware of that you missed (most of which probably don't warrant consideration anyway and of which I have only played 3 myself)

Aliens vs. Predator

Darksiders

Dead Rising 2

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Epic Mickey

F1 2010

Heavy Rain

James Bond: Blood Stone

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Mafia II

Metro 2033

Metroid: Other M

Napoleon: Total War

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Metroid: Other M should never be on any sort of favourite list unless it's a "favourite things you love to hate" list...

An epic duel between it and Force Unleashed 2.

Only allowed 20 on the poll, so if we need to actually add more that people would actually vote for we (by which I mean Sabre) can start another poll. Without Jae, Mav, Lynk and Sabre I would have only had ME2 vs RDR. Also without stoffe there would have only been 15 choices on this poll.

Ack, being limited to only 3 is a pain. AP might be one of my favorites in 2011, but I'm just now buying it since it was so buggy initially.
Pain? I only voted for two as I was worried about my Mass Effect Fanboy status being revoked should RDR or Fable 3 win by one vote (not likely).

I voted Mass Effect 2 mainly because it is one of my favorite games ever at least up until the final boss.

My other vote went to Fallout: New Vegas. This is mainly due to the fact that Obsidian kept everything I love about Bethesda games yet still producing the story Bethesda usually is lacking in. The NPC actually have something to say and most have some type of back story. Still wish they could have did more to stop some of the recurring bugs from Oblivion and Fallout 3, but still was a very fun waste of time. I still cannot fathom something this brilliant could be developed by the same company as Alpha Protocol. Of course I have to remember Obsidian also developed my favorite Star Wars game of all-time TSL. That does not revoke my BioWare/Mass Effect fanboy status, does it?

Other games that had my consideration:

Fable 3 – Fable 3 may have gotten my vote for favorite game except for the second half of the game (which really isn’t half, but more like a quarter). Between that and a goofy unexplained final enemy and way too easy combat I had to place my vote elsewhere. Still was fun to play, at least up until a certain point.

Red Dead Redemption – Red Dead Redemption was fun, but being from Texas and raised in a small ranching/farming community, I could not get over a horse not being able to swim. Still need to get over that and accept it as game mechanic to finish the game.

BioShock 2 – Bought the game around the day it came out, but still have not even opened the package.

Game that I gave no consideration to:

Alpha Protocol – Tried, but between the mini-games and the bugs was so frustrated I almost threw not only the game disc, but the entire 360 out the window. Decent story, but does not make up for the poor design.

The only thing that comes to close to a GotY is Fallout: New Vegas. Note, I say close, because even though I felt that F:NV was probably the most entertaining game that I played this year, I don't feel that it added or introduced anything conceptually new that was different from the zeitgeist. TL;DR: it's not Portal in terms of doing something new, so I don't believe any game this year really merits the moniker.

I suppose one could mention Super Mario Galaxy 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Alpha Protocol*, but none of these titles really hit the nail on the Change Everything® hammer.

Question: Is it possible for one to unvote, in the case where, say - I don't know - for Mass Effect 2? ;)

*Even though it has been declared a pariah by the ineffable, immutable gamer community, and subsequently banished to an inescapable labyrinth of eternal pain and torment, ahem.

I'm a jackass and I didn't just vote for 3.

Ay Bay-bay because I actually bought it, if in the discount bin. The rest I only voted for because I want, and I like...or at least I'm throwing my name in the hat.

New Veg not because I played it, but rather want to play it after witnessing it at a pal's house.

FF13 same as NewVeg

GOW3 simply because I played 1 & 2 and thought those were awesome...well ok I demoed it. :devsmoke:

ME2 just because so many people here liked it and a pal of mine raves by it. I dun care really. You could call it an inflationary vote.

Red Dead Redemption. It's grand theft hoarsiez. :dev9: Gotta support rockstar.

SC2: anything continuing the awesomeness of SC gets my vote.

The only thing that comes to close to a GotY is Fallout: New Vegas. Note, I say close, because even though I felt that F:NV was probably the most entertaining game that I played this year, I don't feel that it added or introduced anything conceptually new that was different from the zeitgeist. TL;DR: it's not Portal in terms of doing something new, so I don't believe any game this year really merits the moniker.

I guess that all depends on your definition of GotY. Personally, I rather a game be filled with decent storytelling and fun to play rather than being innovative. Innovative, for the sake of innovations just annoys me. If it adds to game play or storytelling then I’m all for it, but developers pulling stuff out of thier butts just so they can brag about being the first to do it is just plain stupid. Example: Peter Molyneu.

Question: Is it possible for one to unvote, in the case where, say - I don't know - for Mass Effect 2? ;)
No.

I left the vote public so there could be no shenanigans.

I'm a jackass and I didn't just vote for 3.

Can't follow directions, big surprise.

Archived