• Mass Effect 2
    • Pokemon: Heartgold/Soulsilver
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Starcraft II: The Wings of Liberty
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did't know that the poll allowed multiple choice.

Well you can't blame me for that.

Please vote for your favorite game of 2010, you can vote for as many as you want, but please limit it to three choices.

:D

And here I thought I was the only one that never read directions.

Most predictable post of the year.

A close second.

Only chose one, and that was RDR.

Is it my fault I like GOOD games? I think not. :carms:
They are both good games, true. I enjoyed ME2 very much at the time it came out, but now that the hype factor has worn off I don't find that it touches my GotY list. Which brings up another point entirely of whether or not recency factors into the decisions of most, I imagine it does. On the other hand RDR has certainly held up over the year in my mind... though playing as John's son pissed me off, much like ME2 Terminator did.

I'll be playing Bioshock 2 and AssBro next week, so can I vote later? And ME2 even later than that.

I'll explain myself: this year has totally crushed what little gaming time I had, so I'm enjoying my vacations the best way possible, catching up with my gaming.

If not, well, my preliminary votes goes to Halo Reach, Fallout New Vegas and CoD: Black Ops.

*Gasp*
Let's face it, it droppped the ball hard.

Alpha Protocol - Luckily, I seem to have once again dodged the bugs that plagued others. Perhaps it is a function of the small selection of games that I play, but I think the game deserves recognition for the amount of choice-and-consequence it presented. We need more games like this one.

Fallout: New Vegas - I think Nipton was genius. I think Benny was similarly awesome

(the man that tried to kill you is quite possibly the most altruistic character in the game. You find this out a few moments before you're forced to decide the manner of his death)

Hours and hours of fun. My only complaint is the amount of meta-gaming that becomes necessary to role play in game of this type (same problem with TES III and IV, though character building wasn't as much of an issue in those games).

Mass Effect 2 - I have to include this simply because it really did exceed my expectations in almost every way. Granted my expectations were very low and it wouldn't take much for me to trot out a list of things that I didn't like, but it did force me to re-examine my previous position that Bioware is only capable of publishing crap.

As I have only played two of those games, I am forced to vote for only two of them.

Mass Effect 2: It's a different style from Mass Effect 1, but I enjoyed them both immensely--and I think ME2 has a bit more replayability than ME1. Here's to hoping they don't screw up Mass Effect 3. ;)

Bayonetta: The camera angles annoyed me no end because all they seem to do is try to exploit the main character's body, and I hated not being able to kill large enemies without ridding the main character of her clothing. I kinda liked the main character herself, once I seperated her from the camera angles. The rest of the characters? Hated them. The story? Hated it. The gameplay, howver, is so good that it makes up for the game's many deficiencies.

Honorable mention: Heavy Rain w/Move. The regular controller stunk. I could barely walk, much less do anythng else. The Move controller saved it. The story...unfortunately, it stinks. There are so many plot holes...anyway. One of the main characters managed to drive me up the wall--and it was the girl, no less. I always tend to cut the female characters in games more slack than the male character, but not even her gender could save Madison from my eternal hatred. Not even being a journalist can excuse her being that stupid. (No offense intended to journalists. :xp:) Back on track. In spite of the multiple plot holes, the annoying character, the horrendous child voice actors, and the fact that the only children who exist in the Heavy Rain universe are little brats, I enjoyed it. In fact, I'm about to go enjoy it again so I can get more trophies.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was definitely my most favourite game of 2010. I've been playing that for over 3 weeks and I still haven't reached 100% sync.

Other than AssBro, I voted for ME2, BioShock 2 and God of War 3. Come on, has NOBODY played GoW3? The GoW series stood apart from other games with its gamestyle. TFU/TFU2 are basically GoW1-3 downgraded immensely and packed in the Star Wars universe.

Well, after not playing ME2, my final vote goes to Halo: Reach, Fallout: New Vegas and Bioshock 2.

Having just played this last one, I gotta say I'm impressed. The game does not hold the same "oh ****" gut reaction of the first (no huge plot twist this time), but still manages to leave an excellent impression. If choices was the first game's theme, this one takes it to another level, really. You get to choose to or not kill every boss you'll bump into - aside from the already known option of saving (with the added option of "adopting" them, as the Big Daddy you are) or harvesting (AKA murdering) the Little Sister - and those have actual implications on the game's development.

Story's also not just an excuse to make more money. It's still pretty nice and intrincate, following the very same audio diaries system left by people in Rapture that tell the juicy bits of the story. Dr Sofia Lamb is a fitting antagonist, not below Fontaine and Ryan in the past game.

And finally, gameplay-wise, the new Big Daddy weapons are all useful and really fun to use. But Plasmids are what really shine in this game. Level three Plasmids are über and excellent for develloping new strategies - stuff like Winter Blast gets actually useful at late levels. And Gene Tonics are have been all lumped together into a single, huge category, all very convenient and the additions are welcome.

BioShock 2 – Bought the game around the day it came out, but still have not even opened the package.

This is almost a sin for the aforementioned reasons. You won't be disappointed once you play it.

followed closely by RDR as it has the best ever video game ending...ever!
Really? There were a handful of points towards the end of the game that would have made for a much better "ending" than the final result. I can't think of another game that I've played where I thought the game ended on multiple occasions only to have never seen the credits roll.

The credits do roll

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
when you put a bullet in that rat bastard sheriff who killed your father

Epic raw ending that fits entirely in the mood of the game.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
To watch Jack turn into the same outlaw as his father, when that's exactly what John was fighting for not to happen is just amazing storytelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't played too many games this year(notable exceptions include Bio2, AP, FNW) , gaming pc went kibosh, but anyway.

King Arthur: the role playing wargame: unique setting, several new gameplay ideas, actualll strategy involved in selecting which units to use (ETW, I'm looking at you), a morality system that actually makes sence. In short this game has a lot of features that I never thought would be done right, and do so. Probably under the radar for most, but if you have ever enjoyed a total war game and any RPG, you owe it to yourself to try it.

Planescape Torment: Yes, I only finished it this year, sue me. And while old, the way it handeled the endgame is something just about every RPG in existence could learn from (ME1 especially, for games that prides themselves on giving the player a choice, and non-violent solutions, removing that from the endgame in order to get a boss fight is like a kick in the nuts).

ME2: the most fun gameplay of any RPG I have yet played, and being a Bio game with more than one enjoyable companion, I can forgive that everything else was torture.

Archived