Home

XWA One Year Thread, Part VI, Return of the Bottle Deposit

Kuuki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Hornet, also know as the "Kato show" in China because of Bruce Lee.

Today at work I loaded up 2 railcars with almost 100 tons of frozen peas EACH. Going to Georgia.... perhaps to help with the epic snowstorm? make them into Snow Peas? I donno, don't care. Just rather interesting.

Empire at War is epic
Could be... I haven't tried it... but I generally dislike RTS games. Plus: I'm amazingly terrible at them. (Actually... those 2 things are probably pretty closely related...)

But that's one game out of how many released in the last 10+ years from Lucasarts that can be described that way?

There's been quite a few "good" ones... but not all that many "MUST PLAY!!!" ones.

Once upon a time, practically EVERYTHING Lucasarts put out was a "MUST PLAY!!!"

Luca$art$ in the last 10 years has done really nothing but come out with some kiddie console game, slap their franchise name on it, and send it out. Galaxies has only been great because of the huge hype and large investment fans have put into it just to be able to play it, but otherwise has been a huge disappointment to a lot of fans.

There is no reason LA could have come out with a clone wars era space flight sim if they really wanted to. problem is, IMHO, they dont think there is money in the PC market anymore

Everything is FPS or RPG's. Platformers are making a comeback thanks to Super Meat Boy, but other than that, welcome to the modern age of gaming.

The only genre that's not completely dead is RTS, but that's because Blizzard keeps making boss RTS games. The. Only. Reason.

Don't forget the hybrids like Borderlands, and upcoming Brink

3rd person adventure/shooters are big too. The new splinter cell rocks.

and there are tons of other RTS. You certainly can't claim its all blizzard. they released their first RTS in what, 10 years?

TA/SupCom, the C&C's(not as good as they used to be, the total war series..all been pumping them out.

The real saving grace of RTS the last 5 years has been the total wars and the Dawn of War's. period.

There are some more interesting games coming out, like Brink, Firefall(kind of a borderlands/mmo hybrid), global agenda went PVE but keptits PVP elements.

Total War and the Dawn of War series appeal to a very small niche market. Like flight simulators when we were doing XWA heavily, we were not a main target demographic, and if we were, we were dissapearing.

SC2 kinda revitalized the genre. Props to Civ 5 too though. I've heard good things about it.

Total War and the Dawn of War series appeal to a very small niche market. Like flight simulators when we were doing XWA heavily, we were not a main target demographic, and if we were, we were dissapearing.

SC2 kinda revitalized the genre. Props to Civ 5 too though. I've heard good things about it.

I guess. I don't really agree though. Sure the name blizzard sells more than Warhammer, but the comparison with XWA and flight simes doesnt make alot of sense.

The DOW's sold TONS, and so do Total Wars, I also left out COH Company of Heroes which has also done quiet well. As its even simpler than the others.

There was nothing wrong with the RTS Genre, and I certainly don't think SC2 brought anything remotely new to the table. The only rela thing wrong with it was SC2 is 5 years late, and the Supreme Commander 2 was a step back from SupCom1, and EA destroyed C&C. 2-3 great games in the genre being around at all times certainly doesnt say its dead. who wants or needs 5 AAA titles out in a calendar year?

I have also heard civ 5 rocks but I have less time for it than I do to try SC2

Or an Official New England Patriots one?

About 4 to 6 inches of nasty heavy wet slush here. Unpleasant, but not too bad to clean up.

A couple of miles from here people are dealing with almost 2 feet of snow. I guess I got off lucky... though it means I have no excuse not to get to work tomorrow. :(

My league got called tonight...last year, I benefited from a similar situation b/c I happened to be sick w/ the flu that day, but this year, I'm not so lucky, at least not this time.

(Some background: my league gives a small cash bonus for perfect attendance, so I said I benefited from the snow-out last year b/c I wouldn't have had perfect attendance otherwise)

Got about 3 inches so far here in Upstate NY. about another inch or two is slated for the overnight.

Zargon: I was more so refering to the perception and sales of RTS games VS. FPS and RPG games. Companies no longer "FOCUS" on RTS as a genre, with exceptions, of course. It's not a publishers "Money maker" like Call of Duty, Half Life, Medal of Honour, Final Fantasy, or World of Warcraft are. More and more RTS games get less press, and less hype, relying on an aging fanbase and stagnant growth.

Yes, Starcraft II didn't bring jack didly **** to the table that is innovative and new. It's a refined, prettier, faster version of Starcraft: Brood War. I'll also admit that Blizzard missed the bus in re-inventing the series and the genre as a whole, but in their eyes, if it ain't broke, DON'T ****IN' FIX IT. (See C&C.... sad.)

What Starcraft II did do though is bring hundreds of thousands of nerd eyes on to a genre that has been realistically losing to the FPS and RPG Console Wars. No, RTS would never die as a genre, I think in the end, it will be the last surviving genre in our gaming lives. Older gamers like myself remember Warcraft: Orcs and HUmans fondly and Command and Conquer with reverence. The newer generation though... sad, it is, their mindset.

Starcraft II also finally started to legitimize Professional Gaming here in the West. Major League Gaming just got another $10 Million to fund it's operations this year. We hope it will translate into bigger prize pools, and better venues.

God save Gaming! :D

hehehe

yeah I totally agree with you there.

they shouldnt have changed SC much, and I am glad they didnt.

it just sounded at first like you thought it was dead for the last 6 years and now we have RTS again :p

I got about 4-5 inches yesterday. getting some light sno wnow too :( tired of it.

Oh no, RTS has been alive and doing OK in our corner of the Gaming Universe. Not as well as World of Warcraft or the FPS domination of the Console Wars, but alive and doing ok.

SC2 was the shot of adrenaline the genre needed, honestly.

And if they changed too much with Starcraft, you'd have 48 million angry South Koreans coming to the U.S. and taking on Blizzard Entertainment in a massive Zerg rush. :D

Platformers are making a comeback thanks to Super Meat Boy,.

of course if anyone has played Super Meat Boy, will know that, that game will infact 'truly' eat you and then spit you out, only to see if you are ok to be digestible in order to eat you once again.

if you haven't, get it and play it.

imho, those guys are bud's w/ Minecraft for a reason. (well it's basically for the same reason, but not exactly the same reason, but at least 'insanity' is among the top reasons)

Archived