Home

Scumm Midi Sound Effects

Jackpumpkinhead

as some of you know i am in the process of "demaking" CMI to give it that classic look and feel of the originals. i am wanting to extract some of the sound effects from SOMI and MI2 to use in my fan creation. i have tried using Scummrev to do this but all i get are MIDI music files and no sound effects used in the game. is there something i am missing? am i doning something wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated

Indeed, they won't do you any good with standard MIDI hardware.

The MIDI sound effects are mostly Adlib and include instrument definitions only useful for the included Adlib driver. Same goes for the few MT-32 sound effects.

If you have the enhanced CD of MI1, most sound effects are very low quality samples. MI2 has very few samples.

If you have the Special Editions, all sound effects are included as samples. You can just extract them.

If you don't, the best thing you could do is probably simply sample those sounds of the game while playing it. In ScummVM, you could do this without the music. Just type "imuse panic" in the console just before the desired sound.

Be aware though that the game might hang if music doesn't play where the scripts expect them to.

Alternatively, you can use multimidi and select an unconnected midi port. This will play any adlib only effect without audible music.

I'd be glad to help if I can on this Jack, I love your project, though I am no expert on anything! (save some history and government and government organisational theory, but I kinda doubt that is of any use.. as always :D )

I got the DOS and Special Edition of both SOMI and MI2 (LCR? LR?) and I'd be happy to try and extract the sound effects and send them to you if you'd specify what effects you have in mind.

Oh and add comments if possible to to your CoMICE blog I say!

Guh, just saw that you wanted water sounds as well, I'll try and fix them for you soon.

(I'll have to switch back to windows to extract again, running ubuntu now)

Hope these explosions sounds is what you are looking for, otherwise just tell me and I'll see what more I can find.

http://rapidshare.com/files/441486793/MISEexplosions.zip

I meant adding the possibility to comment on your posts, can bee a good source of feedback although people usually don't comment much,

Archived