Home

Tomb Raider: REBOOT

Ser'eck

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

So the reviews are coming in thick and fast, and they seem to be averaging around 9/10 across the board. So glad it's getting great reviews and I can't wait for my CE to pop through the door in the next couple of days.

This is easily the best review of it so far... ;)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

for the record, i have this game, and i've been playing it for a good long time. reminds me of the Uncharted games in a lot of ways when it comes to gameplay which is a very good thing. don't care much for the cover system in combat, but its functional. the story itself, however, is intriguing, but certainly not up the standards of most story-heavy games that i've played.

really, the best part of the game is the development of Lara Croft. she's not some sexed up Indiana Jones wannabe anymore, and in particular, she's one hell of a tough cookie. the best part of her development is how the devs get you to be emotionally tied to the events that happen to her throughout the game.

for those of you that love single-player content, this one has a bunch. i'm about 15 hrs in, and quite truthfully, i'm not sure when the game is going to end due to how the story likes to throw Lara curveballs right when you think that you've got it. i think i'm nearing the end, but i really don't know if i am or not.

Been playing for the past two evenings and so far it's rather fun (according to what the save game shows I'm about halfway through, but we'll see). The only thing that has me slightly worried is that the more I play the game the more it seems like it's action/shooting section resembles all other cover-shooters a bit too much and in that regard I preferred the old way of doing things (i.e no cover and lots of acrobatics). Still, since the game offers a choice in approach, I'm actually using Lara's bow the most and going for a kind of stealth playthrough (as much as possible). I'm also not too thrilled at Lara's newfound swearing habits, but I guess the situation she's in can sorta justify it, but the new degree of blood and brutality might not have been always necessary (I don't mind it in general, but I just don't think all games should feature it).

just finished the single player portion of the game. the ending was very good if not a tad predictable. pretty much everything i stated earlier still applies, so i'm not going to repeat myself.

just my two cents: if you're looking for a game with a strong female lead, this is one of the best. personally, i think that having a game with something other than a white male for a lead protagonist is refreshing, and i really liked that she wasn't some sex queen with barely any clothes on. this version of Lara Croft comes across as a very real woman placed in a very extraordinary situation, and i think that its high time that video games in general do this sort of thing. the whole badass white dude thing is getting very cliche.

as for the game itself, i give it a very solid 8/10.

So the reviews are coming in thick and fast, and they seem to be averaging around 9/10 across the board. So glad it's getting great reviews and I can't wait for my CE to pop through the door in the next couple of days.

This is easily the best review of it so far... ;)

This was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Definitely interested when I have a cheeky £30 lying around.

I finished Tomb Raider to 100% yesterday, and as a long time fan who has played every single Tomb Raider game, does this game satisfy my "tomb raiding" needs? No. Is it a great game? Yes.

The environment is the star in this game. The island is very well put together and extremely beautiful. Ship and plane wrecks, storms, howling winds, makeshift towns made from junk, ancient temples and atmosphere are abound. Getting around is fun, with Lara's athletic ability's coming into full force, jumping and climbing and chucking herself all over the place. Lara herself moves very naturally and feels 'right'. They did a great job on the mocap. Combat set pieces are satisfying, and the AI has definately improved. They throw grenades and shoot with great accuracy, making it a good challenge and you definately feel bad ass after a long shoot out. The addition of the bow is very welcome, and using it to take out enemies stealthily is great fun. The RPG elements of gaining xp and ugrading your weapons keep the progression at a good steady pace, so you really feel like you are learning all your skills along the way. The story is good and fits the environment, but you don't really feel any connection to your fellow stranded shipmates other than reading their journals that you find lying around. It had a good ending,

although a fight with the main protagonist who is constantly mentioned would have been more satisfying I feel.

The tombs in this game are small physics based affairs that take 5 minutes to complete and are extremely easy. Gone are the huge tombs that take an hour to figure out how to open one door that we know and love, and instead we get a few pathetic excuses for tombs that very much dissapoint. This game is more about exploring caves, and feeling claustrophobic and that sense of the unkown rather than actual treasure hunting, but I guess as this is more of a survival game and the fact that Lara is just starting out and hasn't hit her stride, it can be somewhat forgiven in the context of a reboot. Hopefully in the next game they will have bigger, harder, longer tombs.

I think Tomb Raider is a fantastic game, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and fans of Lara will love how well they have portrayed her progression into badassery. It is well worth your time and highly recommended.

Actually, QTEs do play a bigger part at the beginning of the game (not sure if it's the entire first half or not), but they seem to decrease in frequency as the game progresses. I wouldn't really call them "well-placed" though. I do wish they were removed altogether (or at least that they can be turned off), but the game is generally pretty good and very fun to play even with the damned QTEs.

Archived