Home

Will tonight be your first shower of 2011?

Jae Onasi

It will be your first meteor shower of 2011 if you're out viewing the Quadrantids!

According to the web page on this meteor shower on Universe today,

the best time and place to see the meteors is as follows:

“You can start watching after 2:30am in the North to North East look between the handle of the Big Dipper -Ursa Major and the Constellation of Bootes or the Kite shaped constellation, this is the radiant location as the Meteors will appear to radiate from this general area.” says professional astrophotographer, John Chumack. “Or after 2:30am simply look between the North Star and bright star Arcturus in the East. The Quadrantid Meteors will appear to be coming from this general area of the sky. There is no moon present during this year’s shower, so you can watch all night if you like without moonlight interfering, but the best time will be after 2:30am. As the night goes on the Big Dipper, Bootes and Arcturus climb higher into the sky, so keep watching because the number of meteors usually picks up after 2:30am and gets better through 6:00am. as Earth rotates into the stream. Meteors can appear anywhere in the sky, so look in all directions of the sky as the Quadrantid radiant reaches straight over head. The Quadrantid Meteors are rather fast movers. They enter the atmosphere at about 90,000 to 120,000mph, and can have some impressive long trails.”

Enjoy the show nature is putting on for us!

Nature? Hah.

The government is testing prototype weaponry and/or making contact with alien UFOs. The meteor show is just a cover-up/distraction.

I'd also distribute tin foil hats if I were convinced they aren't being used as bio-chemo-logical weapons to eradicate those of us in the know.

Darn I missed it. Did anyone else see the full moon eclipse a couple weeks ago? That red color was quite a thing to behold. Happens every 38 years or so...or so I believe since the last one was in 1972.

@ J7: That isn't the half of it. Imagine how I felt having to clean up after that in vacation rentals. Seriously. Somehow the bathroom was STILL filthy *every* time. :disaprove Even worse when they had barf and mysterious messes left behind all over the walls and such from --nevermind.

Ahh, was this for last night or later tonight? I hate missing stuff like this. :(

Last night in the wee hours. It was posted "today" in system time, but I saw this thread late last night getting sleepy.

And @j7 @GTA you guys are funny lol

OH GAWD! You'd laugh at my misfortune! You TERRIBLE TERRIBLE person.

:carms:

:jester1:

It will be your first meteor shower of 2011 if you're out viewing the Quadrantids!

!

Oh! That kind of shower! So no, no shower for me for at least a few more decades! It's cloudy and it's snowing...

I initially thought you were talking about a baby shower lol (we had two at the office so we put mustard in a doll's diapers and made a diaper change competition : the future father would have killed the baby at least twice while changing that diaper...)..but...I couldn't imagine someone on LF didn't take a "real" shower yet but Pho3nix proved me wrong!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived