Home

Weird news: It's raining...dead black birds in arkansas

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/compost/2011/01/why_5000_birds_fell_out_of_the.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343413/Birds-fall-sky-Blackbirds-literally-drop-dead-Arkansas.html

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2011/01/04/fireworks-killed-ark-blackbirds/

What's even more unsettling is autopsy:

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/enviornment/mystery-over-blackbirds-death-lightens-as-autopsy-results-are-declared_100482838.html

Arkansas, Jan 4, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The new year blackbird death fiasco in Arkansas’s Beebe town is close to being resolved and the autopsy reports indicate that no poisoning was involved. The residents of the two were amazed and shocked when they saw thousands of red winged blackbirds dropping to their death from sky everywhere in the town. The streets were covered by the bird corpses making a mess of the new year celebrations. The ornithologists as well as scientists were initially unsure about the cause of the mass death of the birds and a number of theories surfaced after the fiasco. The soothsayers went as far as to predict this was an indicator for doomsday. Karen Rowe, an ornithologist with Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said that the cause could be a severe lightning bolt.

The clean-up was complete by Sunday and the mayor of Beebe put the crews to the task who used environmental-protection suits. The birds fell over an area covering a mile in the town. The experts visited the spot where the birds used to stay and they ruled out poisoning. The autopsy reports pf some birds that were sent for testing have come out. The reports also indicate that they did not eat anything toxic. The reports also indicate that the birds were hit by blunt trauma mid air and possibly died before they had hit the ground. Their bodies contain evidences of internal hemorrhage.

The Blackbirds fly thick and the firecrackers used on new year eve could have scared them as well. The incident is unprecedented according to the residents of Beebe.

Blunt trauma? Juuust my opinion, while internal damage can happen for any number of reasons, I do not think it is because of sudden fright of firecrackers. Blackbirds are exposed to to sudden loud sharp raps of noise like that all the time, thousands of times even throughout their short lives.

You'd need something fairly substantial to send out a concussion wave to do something like that--not that I'm a demolitions/munitions expert. Maybe numerous M-80s or "cherry bombs" (like the kind you would flush down toilets after lighting :dev9:). And yet in close enough proximity there should also be scoring and burning. And evidence of pyrotechnics. Not mentioned.

Plus how could it kill thousands like that? It would have to have been suddenly or else there would have been less dead because so many other birds would escape. Maybe synchronicity? Still, where's the evidence for the pyro?

This is pretty weird.

Blunt trauma? Juuust my opinion, while internal damage can happen for any number of reasons, I do not think it is because of sudden fright of firecrackers. Blackbirds are exposed to to sudden loud sharp raps of noise like that all the time, thousands of times even throughout their short lives.

I'm sorry, but wouldn't falling from the sky and hitting the ground be the most likely cause of blunt trauma? :xp:

I'm with the kids; my money is on mass suicide. The ones in LA are just copycats.

I'm sorry, but wouldn't falling from the sky and hitting the ground be the most likely cause of blunt trauma? :xp:

I'm with the kids; my money is on mass suicide. The ones in LA are just copycats.

Indeed, but what is the reason they fell from the sky in the first place?

Weird.

"It's raining birds! Hallelujah! It's raining birds!"

Also, a post-mortem of an animal is a necropsy. It's only an autopsy when the subject is a human.

Ah Thanks. Mybad.

May be on to something; not to be outdone England has now gotten into the act.

Anyone have any butter?

Darn, I thought when they said crabs that they meant my itching problem would cease and umm..............yeah.

I shall continue these plagues until George authorizes KOTOR 3.

I think we just learned who that mummy is on Aqua Teens Hunger Force yelling "Cuuuuuuurse!"

UPDATE!!!

Headline: ANIMALS ARE STUPID.

http://www.universetoday.com/82263/aflockalypse-mass-animal-deaths-now-mapped-on-google/

So this isn't an isolated incident. Ah yes I'm so glad we have flocks of thousands of animals all deciding to be stupid on impulse and fly into the nearest telephone poles and die. Thousands per flock. :roleyess:

Archived