Home

Who on this forum likes to salvage?

Gerevick

I make outdoor trips to find what is useful to me. Sometimes I find things, others not. One such example was a pair of three shelves another discarded in the street. They provided me with a new space to put my books, a reason why I like to salvage. To find what is handy through one´s own effort is most rewarding.

Sounds like you're describing scrounging, or at least that's what electronics hobbyists call it. Here's an example:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/gadget.htm

I have acquired a ton of good stuff over the years. I found some busted stereos and got an isolation transformer out of each. High quality too--nothing beats quality for F.R.E.E. as opposed to paying an arse load of it new and letting useable stuff go to landfill.

Are you roleplaying or are you being for real right now lol?

I exist in this world only when my host allows me to. He leads his own life when he does not log on to the Internet or interacts with his community. family and friends. But when he takes walks alone, logs on to the Internet, or goes jogging, I take control of his body with his full consent.

Sounds like you're describing scrounging, or at least that's what electronics hobbyists call it. Here's an example:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/gadget.htm

I have acquired a ton of good stuff over the years. I found some busted stereos and got an isolation transformer out of each. High quality too--nothing beats quality for F.R.E.E. as opposed to paying an arse load of it new and letting useable stuff go to landfill.

Ah... this reply is most welcomed. I would like to do the same as you, but am currently faced with a society that wishes to hold onto their possessions as best they can. To date, I have not come accross any discarded electronic goods as you. I pray one day I will.

I exist in this world only when my host allows me to. He leads his own life when he does not log on to the Internet or interacts with his community. family and friends. But when he takes walks alone, logs on to the Internet, or goes jogging, I take control of his body with his full consent.

Sooooo...you're possessed by Satan?

Ah... this reply is most welcomed. I would like to do the same as you, but am currently faced with a society that wishes to hold onto their possessions as best they can. To date, I have not come accross any discarded electronic goods as you. I pray one day I will.

Appliances break down all the time. Tons of people don't want to pay to dispose of stuff.

Believe me, go by apartment buildings, office buildings, that sort of thing. The local dump probably sells a ton of stuff, or gives it away.

Shops get rid of things, Stages, places like that. Schools toss stuff out. The art of this is improvisation. What you are doing is scrounging.

It's treasure, you never know what you'll find.

On a final note:

Photo kiosks sell cameras, strobes and optics.

Hospitals get rid of stuff. These articles are for getting lasers, but you could apply it to getting general equipment from a hospital too. Talk to an engineer and not a resource management guy (the latter want money). Check the "how to get a laser without really trying" sections. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlps.htm#lpstoc

I must give a disclaimer: if you actually take an interest in dinking around with equipment you need to observe and follow safety guidelines at ALL TIMES.http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm

In other words I take no responsibility if you choose to act upon this stuff.

I am not responsible for whatever you may wish do with, for example, the insides of a microwave transformer or CRT television. Please use extreme care and do not attempt anything without proper equipment, and if need be supervision and guidance from a qualified professional. You should have at least a basic education in what you are doing before attempting anything--even if you are being safe you will undoubtedly ruin whatever you're tinkering with if you don't know how it works.

For example, I wish I had taken the time to understand the microcomputer for the cooling system of a particular solid state laser I had picked up (for free--discarded and needed cleaning). But noooooo, I had to get curious and use the thing. I destroyed the flashlamp with overheat. That ended with a LOOOOUUUD explosion and lots of disappointment along with a few days to recuperate my hearing. While the rest of the unit was fine, the flashlamp costs $3800 USD new. Since I don't have that kind of money...I had to sell the unit because I wasn't gonna do jack squat with it. :(

In general my points are if you don't know what you're doing with it, you probably should not be messing around with it because it'll get you injured or killed. OR at least it will cause destruction of sorts. Safety first. Common sense.

Appliances break down all the time. Tons of people don't want to pay to dispose of stuff.

Believe me, go by apartment buildings, office buildings, that sort of thing. The local dump probably sells a ton of stuff, or gives it away.

Shops get rid of things, Stages, places like that. Schools toss stuff out. The art of this is improvisation. What you are doing is scrounging.

It's treasure, you never know what you'll find.

On a final note:

Photo kiosks sell cameras, strobes and optics.

Hospitals get rid of stuff. These articles are for getting lasers, but you could apply it to getting general equipment from a hospital too. Talk to an engineer and not a resource management guy (the latter want money). Check the "how to get a laser without really trying" sections. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlps.htm#lpstoc

I must give a disclaimer: if you actually take an interest in dinking around with equipment you need to observe and follow safety guidelines at ALL TIMES.http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm

In other words I take no responsibility if you choose to act upon this stuff.

I am not responsible for whatever you may wish do with, for example, the insides of a microwave transformer or CRT television. Please use extreme care and do not attempt anything without proper equipment, and if need be supervision and guidance from a qualified professional. You should have at least a basic education in what you are doing before attempting anything--even if you are being safe you will undoubtedly ruin whatever you're tinkering with if you don't know how it works.

For example, I wish I had taken the time to understand the microcomputer for the cooling system of a particular solid state laser I had picked up (for free--discarded and needed cleaning). But noooooo, I had to get curious and use the thing. I destroyed the flashlamp with overheat. That ended with a LOOOOUUUD explosion and lots of disappointment along with a few days to recuperate my hearing. While the rest of the unit was fine, the flashlamp costs $3800 USD new. Since I don't have that kind of money...I had to sell the unit because I wasn't gonna do jack squat with it. :(

In general my points are if you don't know what you're doing with it, you probably should not be messing around with it because it'll get you injured or killed. OR at least it will cause destruction of sorts. Safety first. Common sense.

I will certainly consider these options. You have done well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived