Home

Can you be a Christian, and not believe in God?

adamqd

Can you be a Christian, and not believe in God?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Can you be a Christian, and not believe in God?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yoda

Just seen a debate show on TV, which had a segment about some people (One an Anglican Priest) who claimed to be Christian but do not believe god exists.

Through Theory and or fact regarding Evolution, anthropology, carbon dating etc clashing with the Bibles teachings, these people believe that Religion/Monotheism should be taken as a metaphor for the human ideal; love, peace, etc. As such they follow the teaching of Jesus without the part that assumes god is real...

Is this not Just like Edward Norton's Character in Fight Club? who attends support groups for Problems he doesn't actually have, Just feel part of a Group and make him feel better about himself?

can you be a Christian, and not believe in god?

(This is open for debate for other Religions to, its just the subject was between Christians and the Presenter)

Through Theory and or fact regarding Evolution, anthropology, carbon dating etc clashing with the Bibles teachings,

:raise:

I'm not sure what you mean with that. That's what fundamentalists say, which prefer to ignore the source of books such as the Genesis, and why they are in the Bible.

My guess is that it would all come down to how you parse the meaning of Christian. Do you mean following Jesus example as a way of living your life? Since Christ is "the Son of God", it seems like a package deal. Might as well say you believe in marxism, but you aren't a marxist.

Through Theory and or fact regarding Evolution, anthropology, carbon dating etc clashing with the Bibles teachings, these people believe that Religion/Monotheism should be taken as a metaphor for the human ideal; love, peace, etc. As such they follow the teaching of Jesus without the part that assumes god is real...

I don't think it evolution is incompatible with Christianity. The interpretation given by Fundamentalists baffles me all the time: they are like the Pharisians of our time (for an interesting perspective, see Hans Kung.

As for my belief in god, Voltaire said it all: "L'univers m'embarrasse, et je ne puis songer que cette horloge existe et n'ait point d'horloger." ("The universe puzzles me, I cannot believe that this clock exists, and has no clockmaker."- I think it is also in line with the interview linked to, above)

I'm not a Christian but, I'm pretty Sure evolution isn't mentioned :)

It's not, but it doesn't clash with anything the Bible teaches. ;)

I don't think it evolution is incompatible with Christianity. The interpretation given by Fundamentalists baffles me all the time: they are like the Pharisians of our time (for an interesting perspective, see Hans Kung.

As for my belief in god, Voltaire said it all: "L'univers m'embarrasse, et je ne puis songer que cette horloge existe et n'ait point d'horloger." ("The universe puzzles me, I cannot believe that this clock exists, and has no clockmaker."- I think it is also in line with the interview linked to, above)

I pretty much agree with you. I don't see science as an "enemy" of religion. To me, they both complement each other.

As for the topic, Totenkopf as already said it: It's all about the definition of Christian.

I don't think Christianity and evolution necessarily are incompatible. IIRC we had a thread where we pretty much all came to a conclusion that evolution and Christianity are compatible--that evolution is a tool of creation.

My father being a revrend/ordained wedding minister believes this. It's important to note he represents the black sheep of his side of the family: the rest are highly religious regardless of their various individual political leanings. So conversations about this kind of thing with the rest of the family escalate to very nearly accusations of blasphemy.

As it stands... I suppose someone could call him/her own self a christian despite not believing in God. Deluded, wayward or lost. Intention and where their head is at is important. If they are unknowing about it, then they only need to learn.

This is an interesting (perhaps amusing) difference and at least people in this category are willing to admit it.

People who claim to believe in God but then forsake God and their beliefs in the way that they live at the least need some reconciling.

If they are consciously aware of this on the other hand, and think they're getting by with an exploit (Sin, repent, pass go and collect $200, repeat) then they are not being completely honest about themselves (I suspect someone else is unhappy as well, hint hint).

That drove me away from faith for a time. Something this disingenuous (as I believe Evil Q put it) is the workshop of the devil masquerading as an institution of God.

While critical thinking negated some things in the bible taken literally, nobody has provided me any evidence that the critical can't also be faithful in the absolute sense.

I really need to learn to be direct with my Threads/posts hehe :) as people tend to go straight for my ill informed banter rather than the subject line if you catch my drift, the Evolution business was a direct quote from the TV Host, I neither fully understand the Christian teachings nor Science to Argue for either. I think my main reason for bringing this up is that I have a Hard time with some of the decisions/actions that are made/taken because of religion... Death, cultural separation, War, Intolerance (of course there are numerous Positives) Why spend Sunday in a Church, Praying to someone who you dont believe exists? There seems to be no valid reason for this thinking other than you need to feel a part of a community, or your a few Bricks short of a Maisonette.

(edit)

(I suspect someone else is unhappy as well, hint hint).

Are you referring to me? :) For the record I am quite Happy at the Moment, I have recently started a New position at work with better salary, better work hours and opportunities, and have also reconnected with a lot of old school Friends and I'm having a Blast :) This Subject Just jumped out at me (My Mother is a Christian, but very uninterested in the details of Christianity, but very spiritual, I suppose the polar opposite of these People on the TV Show)

Not possible to not believe in the savior - the son of God (or what some consider an incarnation of God himself) - Jesus and be a Christian. It's the central part of the religion and the only reason why Christianity exists at all beyond Judaism.

Some of the metaphorical teachings within Christianity may mirror things of other "godless" religions, and I understand where you're coming from, but you can't honestly call yourself a Christian if you don't believe in the central figure.

I think my main reason for bringing this up is that I have a Hard time with some of the decisions/actions that are made/taken because of religion... Death, cultural separation, War, Intolerance (of course there are numerous Positives)

Those decisions are made by men. I don't recall any religion that promotes that (I can be wrong though).

Why spend Sunday in a Church, Praying to someone who you dont believe exists?

That's the thing. Those who do that are the ones who believe.

If I were a Christian who didn't believe in God.....

(*looks in the mirror*)

I have been this person. urluckyday is strictly speaking correct, you could not call yourself a Christian as it is commonly defined, a believer in the Christ as the Son of God.

The early Christians were not necessarily looking at Christ in this way... certainly not all of them, as there is a wide variety and interpretation of the lifetime and events of Jesus of Nazareth. Christ, Jesus, could have just been a cool dude that had great ideas. That is how the Buddha is seen.... and how some people choose to look at Jesus. There are many Buddhists who will also claim to be Christian (to an extent), because they believe that Jesus lived and made a great example - like the Buddha. Of course, many Buddhists practice religion quite differently than western minds are accustomed to - it is called syncretism, IIRC.

So, there could be a case of an agnostic individual who nevertheless likes good moral examples of living, and chose to model her life following Jesus' example and loving and following the life of Jesus, and still never for a day believe that Heaven is the reward.

Actually, come to think of it, that is my kind of Christian!

If I kill someone in your name, is it my fault or yours?

not Comparable, God isn't able to answer for himself, People make decisions based upon their interpretation of their Faith, But Interpreting Peace on earth and Love thy Neighbor as Kill these Soulless heathens isn't a good thing IMO, but we are going off Topic.

The priest is probably a Tillichian-style believer. It's mainly borrowed Heideggerian existentialism at work. It's possible to believe in God, yet not think he exists. It's a problem of using the word "exists"-- if you believed that God is what supports all of existence and laid the groundwork of reality, you wouldn't think he exists either. "I am who am" and all that. So.

The early Christians were not necessarily looking at Christ in this way... certainly not all of them, as there is a wide variety and interpretation of the lifetime and events of Jesus of Nazareth. Christ, Jesus, could have just been a cool dude that had great ideas.

There were no Christians in the time of Jesus' life. They were all Jewish (Jesus himself was Jewish). The difference between the two religions is that Jewish people believe Jesus to be a prophet and Christians believe that Jesus was the messiah after his death. This is simply because the basis of the religion is believing that Jesus died for all of our sins (not trying to be preachy...just the truth). It's just not possible to be a Christian if you don't believe in God.

On topic, you cannot be a Christian and not believe in God, unless you want to change the meaning of words, which would render all languages redundant. Simply put a Christian is an individual who thinks Jesus was the Son of God, and is his follower, as such to believe there is no God means you are not a Christian.

I'm not a Christian but, I'm pretty Sure evolution isn't mentioned :) But thats not my Point nor my Opinion, just an example as to why these people think this way. (Sura 2:191-193)

As a devout Christian and an individual who teaches groups on Philosophy, Theology and Science, both evolution and big bang theory are facts. Those beliefs are entirely compatible with God and Christianity, infact (although I am not a Catholic) the Roman Catholic Church accepted both the Big Bang Theory into its doctrine in 1947 and its unofficial position on evolution, is theistic evolution.

As Saint Augustine said along time ago; "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself".

Those decisions are made by men. I don't recall any religion that promotes that (I can be wrong though).

Some verses in The Qur'an can be interpreted that way, such as...

"And slay them wherever ye find them' date=' and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution (of Muslims) is worse than slaughter (of non-believers) and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."[/quote']

"O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."( Sura 9:123)

"Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves" (Sura 48:29)

Peaceful religion? Depends on how you read their Holy Book, having read the whole Qur'an trust me when I say I could have a whole page of not at all peaceful quotes....

Some verses in The Qur'an can be interpreted that way, such as...

Peaceful religion? Depends on how you read their Holy Book, having read the whole Qur'an trust me when I say I could have a whole page of not at all peaceful quotes....

As I said, I could be wrong.

There were no Christians in the time of Jesus' life. They were all Jewish (Jesus himself was Jewish). The difference between the two religions is that Jewish people believe Jesus to be a prophet and Christians believe that Jesus was the messiah after his death. This is simply because the basis of the religion is believing that Jesus died for all of our sins (not trying to be preachy...just the truth). It's just not possible to be a Christian if you don't believe in God.

Uh.... have we met?

urluckyday, I am well aware of the distinction between Judaism and Christianity. I am thinking it is safe to say that I have studied both religions (and several others) as much as you have, and quite possibly a great deal more, as it was a study of mine in college. I graduated with a degree in Philosophy, with a minor in Religion and English.

I was referring to the followers of Jesus, in his day, who were many of them Jewish, but were proto-Christians in that they were responsible for telling the many Gospels. There were many more accounts of Jesus' life than were recorded in your Christian bible, if you are not aware. The Gospels of Mary and Judas are two of many important stories that exist... What I was trying to say, is that there can be interpreted a wide distinction in what it means to be Christian.

I apologize if I come off preachy, but I thought you knew me better than that... :rolleyes:

Why on earth would you want to be a Christian and not believe in God? The only thing that makes belonging to a religion excusable is faith, misguided or not. To voluntarily induct yourself despite that would be.... bizarre. Like attending alcoholics anonymous when you're addicted to caffeine.

Uh.... have we met?

urluckyday, I am well aware of the distinction between Judaism and Christianity. I am thinking it is safe to say that I have studied both religions (and several others) as much as you have, and quite possibly a great deal more, as it was a study of mine in college. I graduated with a degree in Philosophy, with a minor in Religion and English.

I was referring to the followers of Jesus, in his day, who were many of them Jewish, but were proto-Christians in that they were responsible for telling the many Gospels. There were many more accounts of Jesus' life than were recorded in your Christian bible, if you are not aware. The Gospels of Mary and Judas are two of many important stories that exist... What I was trying to say, is that there can be interpreted a wide distinction in what it means to be Christian.

I apologize if I come off preachy, but I thought you knew me better than that... :rolleyes:

I forgot, my fault.

Why on earth would you want to be a Christian and not believe in God? The only thing that makes belonging to a religion excusable is faith, misguided or not. To voluntarily induct yourself despite that would be.... bizarre. Like attending alcoholics anonymous when you're addicted to caffeine.

QFE

Though I'd make the analogy "like attending alcoholics anonymous when you act like you're addicted to alcohol, but don't actually drink"

Compared to what, exactly? The Hebrews weren't known for pacifistic humanism either.

Every time a violence-laden narrative from any scripture is interpreted through a modern-day lens, two conclusions are met: either it's "See! This proves that [religious adherents] are nothing but [moral ill]-ers!", or it's "No, no, no; you're looking at it in the wrong light! Real [religious tradition] is against that entirely!" Naturally, I'd wager that both of these explanations are equally deluded and idealistic in form.

Archived