Packers or Steelers?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Packers or Steelers?

• Packers!
    • Steelers!
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Yoda

I'm glad that the Packers won though, Aaron Rodgers is finally stepping out of Favre's shadow.

Aaron Rodgers has proven the Green Bay did not make a mistake when they did not resign Brett Favre during his annual retirement drama, but Rodgers is far from being outside Brett Favre’s shadow. If Rodgers was outside Favre’s Shadow people would quit comparing the two every 5 minutes. Let us remember, that Brett Favre holds pretty much every NFL passing record (good and bad), has a Super Bowl ring and took the Packers another. He is also a no doubt Hall of Famer the moment he is eligible. However, Favre was still in the shadow of Bart Starr with Starr’s 5 NFL Championships and 2 Super Bowl titles. Let wait until Rodgers actually wins something before we started talking about Rodgers' shadow. :)

Going with the hated Steelers, but will not be upset to see the Packers win it. If nothing else it proves beyond all doubt that their management was correct in ending the Favre drama.

I'll be rooting for my numbers, first and foremost, but after that, I'll root for the Packers because I'd rather Rodger's win a ring after he had to sit behind Favre for years than have Big "Rapist" Ben win another ring. I do like Troy though, so I wont be mad if the Steelers win.

I'll root for the Packers because I'd rather Rodger's win a ring after he had to sit behind Favre for years than have Big "Rapist" Ben win another ring.
and you believe that because of all the compelling evidence that proves that Ben is a "rapist". oh wait, my bad. there isn't any evidence to support that one. :doh:

meanwhile, i am trying to figure out if you fall more into the "Biased" category or the "Bigoted" category...

and you believe that because of all the compelling evidence that proves that Ben is a "rapist". oh wait, my bad. there isn't any evidence to support that one. :doh:

meanwhile, i am trying to figure out if you fall more into the "Biased" category or the "Bigoted" category...

No, it was more of an off-the-cuff excuse to pick the Packers over the Steelers in the SB than it was a personal attack on Roethlisberger. Why I would actually give a **** what some athlete does with his weenis in his free time is beyond me. You seem to be much more butthurt about it being mentioned than I anticipated, so... sorry?

Going with the hated Steelers, but will not be upset to see the Packers win it. If nothing else it proves beyond all doubt that their management was correct in ending the Favre drama.

Yea, but in all likelihood, the front office started the drama in the first place. Not that I want to compare Aaron Rodgers to Steve Young just yet, but it was a situation similar to what happened with Montana and Young.

Well, I for one don't know what happened with that incident. The story changed around so much and there never was any good evidence one way or the other. What I do know is that Roethlisberger has a knack for getting himself in trouble.

Rapist? Don't know. Dumb ass? Definitely.

• 2 weeks later...
Yay! I guess, whatever, my gambling didn't come through for me, but it was a good time of drinking and such.

My numbers stunk…

Still had fun and the game was decent. Still don’t understand the decision by the Stealers to try that long field goal. Of course if the Packer receivers could catch then the game would have been a blowout.

My numbers stunk…

Still had fun and the game was decent. Still don’t understand the decision by the Stealers to try that long field goal. Of course if the Packer receivers could catch then the game would have been a blowout.

Yeah I was actually starting to root for the Packers so that Nelson wouldn't get lynched. How many times did he drop that ball?

That 50+yard attempt had me stunned. Not even close. Heck they may as well have just gone for the 1st down.

The worst performance of the game: Christina Aguilera on the National Anthem Play.

Not even close. She was trying too hard and forgot the words. I even read where someone speculated if she needed to attend rehab because she flubbed the lines. If the NFL wants the National Anthem sang word for word on key then hire ask someone other than a pop singer to perform the song. It isn’t the easiest song to sing in the first place and then you add to that it is the largest audience the performer has ever performed in front of you are going to get mess ups because of the pressure and the difficulty.

Now if she would have grabbed her crouch and spit I would be willing to crucify Aguilera , however a simple mess up is no reason to get out the nails. After all to err is human…

So yeah I heard Fergie singing at the halftime show and I turned off the TV. I had to have a friend tell me when it was safe, and once it was a false alarm because they saw people other than the Black Eyed Peas. Slash was a redeeming part of the game.

Also, Lombardi is coming back home

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

Not even close. She was trying too hard and forgot the words. I even read where someone speculated if she needed to attend rehab because she flubbed the lines. If the NFL wants the National Anthem sang word for word on key then hire ask someone other than a pop singer to perform the song. It isn’t the easiest song to sing in the first place and then you add to that it is the largest audience the performer has ever performed in front of you are going to get mess ups because of the pressure and the difficulty.

Not really. It's the difference between a live performance and a pre-recorded performance. A stadium isn't the best place to sing. The echo and reverberation through the stadium can cause a singer to hear what they sang a second or two ago instead of what they are actually singing. Singers need to be able to hear themselves in real time to make sure they are on key as they sing.

When singers have their own sound system, its set up so they don't have a delay between what they are singing and what they are hearing. That's why they wear the ear pieces you always see them wearing. They are also made to cancel out some of the sound from the crowd and the band around them (when there is a live band) because even though they need to hear the music, they still need to be able to hear themselves really well, and on stage with a live band, its really loud.

Part of the reason a lot of live performances aren't really that great is because of how hard it is to sing well when you can't properly hear yourself. It doesn't matter if you sing Pop, Opera, or anything in between; You need to hear yourself to be on on key. The other option is to ignore trying to be on key and concentrate on the power/emotion of the song. You see this with the Nation Anthem a lot at games because most performers know they simply won't be able to sing properly in that situation, so they just go for the emotion.

I had to turn in up a bit loud, but there was a definite echo during her performance. If I can hear it on youtube, it was a lot louder for her on the field. Again, it's not the difference between a "pop singer" Vs. a "non-pop singer." It's due to singing live in a stadium. Even the best classical/Opera singer could get thrown off in that setting. It's not that she forgot the words, but that she lost her place in the song and it confused her for a moment. You can hear the slight bit of hesitation right before she messed up.

If you want to see what it's like for a live singer in a stadium and how confusing it can be, try this. Go to sound recorder, sing a song you know really well. One you would never forget the lyrics to. Sing it while you record it. Now, sing it again, but play the recorded version one second after you start. Listen to the recording of you singing, but don't sing along with it, sing the song like you normally would, but keep concentrating on the recording.

Seriously, try it. It will mess with you. :p It's not the best test because it's easy to forget to concentrate on the recording and think more about what you're singing or just wind up singing along with the recording, but if you can do it, you'll see just what mind bender it can be. Even the best Opera singers wouldn't be able to do it. Hiring someone other than a pop singer wouldn't solve the problem. They will still struggle to stay on key, perhaps even more so because pop singers often don't worry as much about hitting notes properly and worry more about just putting power and emotion into a song, whereas Opera performers are all about being on key and following the melody. This is even worse singing acapella because if you sing along with music, your voice will naturally try to find the right notes. Without music you're left with only hearing your voice to try to stay on key.

Well, this is turning out to be much more of an essay than I intended... Still, it really comes down to what you would prefer for the Nation Anthem. On one hand there's Whitney Houston's much lauded singing of the National Anthem years back. It was pre-recorded as was the NFL's policy at the time because of what they knew could happen with a live performance. Knowing that, I personally think it losses a bit of the "magic."

On the other hand, you have the "post lip-sync controversy" live performances of the song that usually aren't quite as good due to all that's working against the singer in that situation. Sure, it might not be as pitch perfect, but they usually have a certain energy that's lost in a studio recording. Mistakes can happen, but I personally like it better this way.

Archived