Home

Dead Island

Sabretooth

• 4 months later...
Leave it to the ESRB to bring the unexpected preview goods. The US-based ratings board for video games has issued it ruling on Techland's upcoming first-person co-op zombie brawler, Dead Island. It's an M-rating, naturally, but the ESRB listing also reveals a few new fun facts about the game.

Source

• 3 months later...

G4 has a not-so-flattering hands on review of the game.

However, the gameplay video included in the article looked pretty interesting..so like most other articles, guess we'll see once we can get our own hands on it.

-----

EDIT (3 months later).

Sequel? MMO? who knows.

Having fun with Dead Island currently.. but bujeezus it's looooooooooong.

Kinda getting to that tedious/boring/enraging stage and I've only reached the 80% progress mark :indif:

Was going to do another playthrough before Skyrim hit the market.. but seeing as how long it's taking me.. forget that. Probably serves me right for agreeing to do all the sidequests.

Anywho.. "Dead World", curious.

Having fun with Dead Island currently.. but bujeezus it's looooooooooong.

Kinda getting to that tedious/boring/enraging stage and I've only reached the 80% progress mark.

Funny, I don't have it but I played it for about an hour at a friends house and got the same feeling -_- it's just too repetetive. Which is why I hate Zombie games. I love the films. but never the games. It's rare, anyway.

Funny, I don't have it but I played it for about an hour at a friends house and got the same feeling -_- it's just too repetetive.

It is. Trust me.

Best bet.. if you do decide you want to play it. Save some cash and borrow it from your friend ;) hehehe

I like it (for now), but after several hours of doing pretty much the same thing.. it starts to wear on you. It gets even worse later on where you're back and forth-ing across the map(s) to visit (and revisit) places you've already been to. Police Headquarters *shudder*

Everything respawns (incredibly fast) so it's more of a button masher than an exploratory sandbox. Open world yeah.. but gawdz forbid you backtrack. You'll be clearing the same area over and over and over and over...

Is there a demo? If there is should we just play that and leave it at that...

Hard to tell to be honest. I was having a blast with it up till mid chapter 2-3.

I'm pretty sure the demo (if one exists) wouldn't give you anywhere close to that. (the chapters are VERY long).

Don't get me wrong.. the game is good (fun). It's just that it's one of those games where it will get tedious if you decide to do every single thing in the game. TONS of back and forth and every time everything has respawned.

If you like fighting (a lot). This game will be right up your alley.. hehe. But be warned if you're a "get to the goal" "fast travel" "get it done" kinda player.. this game will test you.

Fast travel points are few and far between (not bad at first.. but gets tedious by mid chapter 2). Resources aren't bad as I don't think I was ever hurting for weaponry or cash. Especially once you start collecting recipes/mods and are able to make your own gear.

Fun game.. and it's mostly the combat that really starts to grind your nerves. There's quite a bit of it and some of your enemies can outrun you ;)

Hard to tell to be honest. I was having a blast with it up till mid chapter 2-3.

I'm pretty sure the demo (if one exists) wouldn't give you anywhere close to that. (the chapters are VERY long).

Don't get me wrong.. the game is good (fun). It's just that it's one of those games where it will get tedious if you decide to do every single thing in the game. TONS of back and forth and every time everything has respawned.

If you like fighting (a lot). This game will be right up your alley.. hehe. But be warned if you're a "get to the goal" "fast travel" "get it done" kinda player.. this game will test you.

Fast travel points are few and far between (not bad at first.. but gets tedious by mid chapter 2). Resources aren't bad as I don't think I was ever hurting for weaponry or cash. Especially once you start collecting recipes/mods and are able to make your own gear.

Fun game.. and it's mostly the combat that really starts to grind your nerves. There's quite a bit of it and some of your enemies can outrun you ;)

Can you get a Samurai Sword or any decent guns? I quite like Zombie games... I'm not a do every side quest kind of person... From an RPG element I just couldn't see myself doing random sidequests in a Zombie Apocalypse... My attitude would be find somewhere safe rescue who I can along the way.

Can you get a Samurai Sword or any decent guns? I quite like Zombie games... I'm not a do every side quest kind of person...
Oh yeah, nice thing about the game is there's no loss for weaponry. Blunt, sharp, molotovs, grenades, and guns galore. Plus you can mod them to have other unique specialties (nails, glass, fire, electricity, etc.)

Guns don't show up (in mass) till later, but there are a few early in. Bullets however are like it should be.. scarce, expensive and you can only haul so much. 1st hour in you'll be playing whack-a-zombie with boat paddles, pipes and crowbars. Weaponry gets more varied the further you go in the game. Katana, Wakizashi, Cane Knife, Mace, Morningstar, (even a chainsaw, but it's hard as hell to get.. hehe) etc.

From an RPG element I just couldn't see myself doing random sidequests in a Zombie Apocalypse... My attitude would be find somewhere safe rescue who I can along the way.
Hmm.. game may be right up your alley to be honest J7. ;)

Might want to rent it for a weekend to see if you like how the combat feels (majority is melee).. and if so, might be worth a purchase (or a good Steam deal if one comes along).

Archived