Home

TIE Fighter Soundtrack

Laserschwert

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly the missions were a little more complicated in TIE, with sub-goals and stuff like that. But it's been ages since I played it... I didn't even remember, that the CD-version of TIE allowed a resolution of 640x480. Gotta play it again.

The later CD ROM versions of both TIE Fighter *and* X-Wing featured an update to the graphics engine so the graphics matched those of X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter. That version also had the music for the cutscenes in a folder on the disc in .WAV format if that makes things any easier for you. Also the in mission music was replaced in both games with music from the movie soundtracks in Redbook audio.

Yeah, I have both versions of "X-Wing 95" and "TIE Fighter 95", but the WAV-files sound like crap... not only bitrate wise, also the synths used are horrible (at least compared to what I'm aiming at).

Also, as you've mentioned, the in-flight music is pure movie score, so it doesn't help me here.

• 1 month later...

I've found several midi files in the Internet of the in-flight music. These are about six midi files of in flight music. There were more, but I didn't used them because these doesn't fit in my medley. I've start with one file to remix, then take the seond, and so go on. I've done this with eight files.

Here's a link for the midi's: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8THM5YFZ

These are all files I've found.

The SSO has the string section as separate samples. Did you split up and re-arrange the string ensemble tracks into their violin, viola, cello, and double bass elements?

The only manual splits I did in the strings was between legato and staccato notes (and I've only used the staccato ones from SSO, while using the rest from GPO). Still, all seperate string types (1st and 2nd violin, viola, cello, bass) are grouped as "ensembles", with each one using only their own range of notes. But of course, this isn't as detailed as doing manual splits for these as well.

Well, I can't compare Reaper to FL, since I've never used that one. Seperating notes is relatively easy in Reaper though, as you can set the MIDI-channel separately for each note (or a selection of notes, of course), so I don't have to split the track up into even more tracks. Then each track gets Garritan's ARIA player as a VSTi, which allows me do define which MIDI channel plays which samples. It's pretty straightforward.

Here's a screenshot of the ARIA player:

ariatie.jpg

As you can see, all notes set to MIDI channel 15 will be playing the different "Lush" strings, whereas channel 16 will use the staccato ones. Channel 14 is also used for GPO's "auto legato" feature, which only works for monophonic notes (so no chords). "Auto legato" causes notes to flow into each other by removing the "attack" portion of an instrument sample. So every time theres a string line that's supposed to be played that way, I set it to channel 14.

This setup is of course only used for one of the two string tracks in the TIE-MIDIs, while the other tracks get their own ARIA player (with the string setup being the more elaborate one... the horns, for example, have only one instrument in the list).

Sounds like the same in FL. But I think FL don't handle the notes correctly, sometimes the instruments sounds pretty strange. I'll try to remake a part of my medley with Reaper this evening. I'm currently working with EWQLSO Silver Edition and sometimes the instruments sounds in the standalone-application better than in FL Studio. Maybe I'll be more happy with it! :) Thank you for the informations.

I was always wondering how the TIE-MIDIs would sound with EWQLSO's samples. Right now I don't want to purchase another orchestral sample library, now that I already got GPO.

With GPO though I needed to add a LOT of effects to the master track (and also the individual tracks) like several reverbs, EQs and other stuff.

yeah, I've also used the reverb-effect but currently not the EQ! I'm an absolute beginner in that topic and the Tie-In-Flight Midi's are for me like a huge playground to work with, I can sit in front of that over hours!!! :)

The same here. I've read a lot about that stuff, but still don't have grasped it.

For reverb for example, it's good to have two separate ones: The first dealing with the so called "early reflections", which apparently just simulate the sound hitting the walls of the room first. This effect is different for each instrument group, as it suggest how deep the instrument is positioned in the room (so while panning deals with the left/right position, this effect deals with the front/back position). And then there's the big "tail" reverb, which just simulates the entire room. It could be different for each instrument as well, but I just put this one on the master effects track.

EQing is very difficult, and my ears aren't really trained for it anyway, so most of the time I have no clue what to adjust. Usually I just try to match the spectrum of a professionally mixed track.

Still, I'm not entirely happy with the result.

Archived