Home

Features you don't like in games

mur'phon

As in features you dislike even when implemented well (in other words, *bad story* is not a "feature", but cinematic presentation of the story is).

For me, voiced main char in any game trying to be imersive tops the list. The former is problematic because it breaks imersion, gives the PC a voice different from the player. In adition it leads to one of three impractical situations, either 1: making it dificult for the player to know what he is saying or 2:have the player read the lines first, then have the PC repeat it back to you (which feels jarring and uneccesary), or 3: make the choices so stereotypical that you know what the PC will say, even from just a few key words (which limits what the designers can let the PC say).

So which features do you guys dislike?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna steal about 12 potential posts and point at Cutscenes.

It's annoying when the game suddenly takes control of you, most of all when the story is going to go through some important twists. It's as if the developers are letting you do all the kiddie stuff about bashing monsters and then patting your head and taking over when your character has to make an important decision or respond to a greater situation.

This goes more or less hand-in-hand with blatant cinematics that are intended to create a movie-like atmosphere, glaring examples being Mass Effect and Dragon Age. This often causes a break between gameplay and story; for eg. when Shepard is using a pistol in a cutscene when you've never even used it in gameplay, or that annoying scene in ME where the Krogan dies in one shot argh.

It's possible to create a cinematic atmosphere without using cinematics, and two developers who know how to do that well would be Valve and Infinity Ward (MW2 is really a terrific step up when it comes to set pieces). Difficult to execute, but has a vast payoff.

I'd also like to rattle on about DLC, but that's a tired one and I'm not sure if it qualifies as "feature" any way. Let me think about more...

I’m going to say none of the above…

I think it is a matter of how a feature is implemented within the game more than the feature itself. Example: I have no problem with mini-games; however the way in which they were implemented within Alpha Protocol caused me all kinds of frustration. It totally ruined a game that I had been looking forward to.

So there is no one feature I totally dislike. Of course that also means there is no feature I totally like. It just all depends on how the features are handled by the developer.

Mim: I made the caveeat that I only dislike it when the game wants to be immersive.

Sabre: I agree, but with one caveeat, if the perspective stays the same and you are given good reason for your lack of controll, I have no problem with it. An example would be Dark Messiah, were you (SPOILER ALLERT) at one point is picked up with magic and thrown into a spike. You lose controll, yes, but it's for good reason, in adition, the perspective doesen't change, you're in first person mode the whole time.

I don't exactly think its a "feature", but any game that has the main character able to face down anything during gameplay, but the very second the cutscene starts, it doesn't matter what the character can do, or has done, he or she can be brought down in seconds, if not simply subdued. Sometimes it is warranted, but many cases are just because the plot demands it.

Also, find myself annoyed(in the least...), at a game that only allows saving at certain points. Meaning that in certain areas, its not a problem to save, but then get yourself close to that dungeon, and you find yourself facing something you weren't expecting(or about to face it), and the menu doesn't have a 'save' option to offer. Or, when you can mostly save anywhere, but during certain points(i.e most of the main quests in the first Fable), you can't.

Oh, and lastly, Stealth sections in games. Mainly, when you have to sneak through a dark area to proceed. One would think, that if you hide in the darkness, nothing can see you - but somehow, they still do, even if they don't shine a light in your direction. Or if you crawl along in the darkness close to them, and just because of that, they suddenly become more attentive, and realize "Hey, I heard and...oh, look at that, I know there is a small creature hiding in the darkness, and I can somehow see it - even without my flashlight pointing at it".

This goes more or less hand-in-hand with blatant cinematics that are intended to create a movie-like atmosphere, glaring examples being Mass Effect and Dragon Age. This often causes a break between gameplay and story; for eg. when Shepard is using a pistol in a cutscene when you've never even used it in gameplay, or that annoying scene in ME where the Krogan dies in one shot argh.

To me that's a minor annoyance. What I don't like is cutscenes that transport you elsewhere without warning, especially when playing an RPG. Mass Effect 2 was particularly guilty of this in some missions. Ok, so I beat the boss, can I at least walk around now and chose when to return to the ship?

Also, the unjustified "cartoonization" of some games annoys me: huge swords (did you see the two handed sword in DA 2?), flashy and unrealistic combat animations, huge eyes, anime hairstyles, the stereotyping of the characters (i.e. evil people must have red eyes or horns and look ugly: it's ok in a game like Fable...but in Mass Effect?...and Isabella forgot her trousers in DA2), catsuit or sci-fi looks in a medieval setting etc...sometimes it just doesn't fit *.

...and as Pho3nix said below: unable to save where I want!

* yeah, I'm a bioware fangirl but as we say in French: "qui aime bien châtie bien" :p I suppose I want to continue to be able to like their games...

Sabre: I agree' date=' but with one caveeat, if the perspective stays the same and you are given good reason for your lack of controll, I have no problem with it. An example would be Dark Messiah, were you (SPOILER ALLERT) at one point is picked up with magic and thrown into a spike. You lose controll, yes, but it's for good reason, in adition, the perspective doesen't change, you're in first person mode the whole time.[/quote']

Indeed, I should have specified those. In any case, these are more or less well-exploited by Valve and Infinity Ward, and I'm fine with them. Treyarch on the other hand took it the other way by letting you stay in perspective, but controlling both your movement and aim. What gives?! Do you want me to play or not?!

1) Quick time events

2) DLC/Expansion packs

Both for the same reason. Devs put all this effort into building an immersive game experience, then turn around and intentionally include things that break it.

I like that ME2 had new weapons, but they should have followed the existing system for obtaining them (heavy weapons research for heavy weapons, etc). New areas are cool too, but should have been more Baria Frontiers than LotSB. And just so it doesn't seem like I'm picking on ME, one of my favorite games, Morrowind, was guilty of this too.

@Mimi: Too bad the devs didn't make them optional :)

@Mimi, pt2: Michael Bay is a very popular movie director. That must mean he makes good movies. :xp:

"Features" that annoy me the most are:

1) The "autosave feature", or rather the lack of standard "Save Game" and "Load Game" options and reliance solely on checkpoints to save my progress.

2)DLC - 99.9% of them are simply too short and/or poor in quality to be worth any money. I find it especially disturbing that some people are willing to pay real money for virtual weapon, armor and skin packs. Even virtual furniture. All this after spending $60 on a "full" game.

3)Quick-time events - because they simply scream "click me, or you'll miss out on something important/fail/die/whatever!!".

I don't mind proper expansion packs like Diablo II Lord of Destruction, Starcraft Brood War, or (more recent) Dragon Age Awakening.

I hate scaled leveling, Oblivion (non-modded) was a prime example of this, where when you reach a certain level every Tom, Dick and Harry is carrying some seriously expensive lute, like poor bandits living in the forest suddenly are kitted totally out with Elven stuff for battle. I think this leveling ruins immersion for several reasons, in real life you do a mugger over you generally don't find he has an AK-47 and kevlar body armour on...

This also takes away in many respects any advantage of levelling up; I mean whats the point in me leveling up if everything else levels up to? I'd much prefer it if enemy skill levels were varied depending on character, and especially early in the game there are certain individuals you would avoid or run away from and others you could pick an immediate fight with... Loot should also be dependant on character for example a Vampire should have loots of cool woot, but a woodsman not...

1) DLC--arrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!! (Almost) a total and complete waste of what money I have.

2) Not being able to save (especially right before or during a fight).

3) Ubergear that you only get if you have the pre-order (along the same lines as DLC).

4) Dumb (or dumbed-down) dialogue options. MY Commander Shepard isn't Grunt!!!!

5) Sidequests that have no real plot beyond fetch-and-carry or shoot the (foes).

1) Not being able to save whenever you want. (However, I do consider disabling saving during combat reasonable)

2) I'd say DLC, but when it comes to BioWare's games, I'm a total sucker for them.

3) A minor gripe, but being unable to pause during cutscenes. (Only really a problem on PC, or Dragon Age II on Xbox 360, based on the demo)

Demon's Souls would beat the **** out of all you that dislike not being able to save wherever you'd like. It's auto-save in a single slot only, sort of like a persistent world/MMO in the sense that you can't reload and try again.

"features" that i don't like:

invisible barriers - hey i can go there... *popup*You cannot travel to this location. Turn back now. *popup* OMGWTH?!? biggest offender: the Assassin's Creed series.

super-hard-impossible-nightmare-scenario difficulty settings - ok, so this something that i actually do like the concept behind (a really hard difficulty to force you to use different/perfect tactics). however, it is often times poorly implemented as devs just simply boost enemy attributes and cut your attributes. i would rather see more advanced AI in place or even new gameplay elements (a la FO:NV's Hardcore Mode). just anything that actually requires some thought to design and develop and actually contributes to the gameplay experience.

DLC - most of it is just cheap crap that you don't need. if you really want different outfits for your characters, you could just release some modding tools or something... *cough* Mass Effect *cough*

Demon's Souls would beat the **** out of all you that dislike not being able to save wherever you'd like. It's auto-save in a single slot only, sort of like a persistent world/MMO in the sense that you can't reload and try again.

Thats different, the game is all about dying a lot :p

I have no problem with mini-games; however the way in which they were implemented

Unable to save whenever I want to

1) The "autosave feature", or rather the lack of standard "Save Game" and "Load Game" options and reliance solely on checkpoints to save my progress.

1) DLC--arrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!! (Almost) a total and complete waste of what money I have.

3) Ubergear that you only get if you have the pre-order (along the same lines as DLC).

5) Sidequests that have no real plot beyond fetch-and-carry or shoot the (foes).

- Online Activation;

3rd Party Programs necessary to play the game (i.e: Steam);

- Lack of customization;

These probably cover most of things on own list.

@sabre--I noticed that also in the suicide mission section of ME2....all of a sudden everyone seemed to be firing assault rifles in the cinematics.

@mim--initially had similiar problem w/one of mini-games in ME2 and didn't really like the one in ME.

@Tysy--didn't mind the killing foes part, but even that feels like fetch and carry where it doesn't advance plot.

@alexrd--3rd party activation was one of the downsides of the HL series. I figure if I buy the game, it ought to be on the disc.

@murph--as far as vo's go, they're are only really bothersome to me if/when somehow the voice doesn't fit your customized charachter. For instance, Meer's vo in ME/2 doesn't seem right for a non-white Shepard.

Archived