Home

Nintendo DS Button Malfunction

Lady Jedi

My younger brother's DS has a left shoulder button that is inconsistently non-responsive. He's had it cleaned out with compressed air, he's blown into it, etc. These fix it briefly but the problem recurs in a hurry.

Does anyone have some recommendations? We wanted to open it up and clean it; the warranty is already expired so I'm not concerned about voiding it, however I don't want to break it even worse than it is.

Lil' brother thinks that taking it to Game Stop and asking for assistance is a good plan, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the intelligence levels in my town. Perhaps our own Groovy Game Stop manager could offer some advice.

Let me know what y'all think. Thanks much.

Which version DS is it? I heard that the DS lite has some problems with the shoulder buttons and they wear out pretty quickly.

As for getting it repaired... since the warranty has expired, there'd be a fee to get it fixed by Nintendo... that or they won't bother at all citing it as being normal wear and tear rather than a defect with the system. Of course, Nintendo has been known to be pretty good with these sorts of things so it's probably worth a try to contact them directly and see what they say.

If all else fails, you're better off getting a second hand DS from somewhere as a replacement if you can find one that's cheap enough.

My younger brother's DS has a left shoulder button that is inconsistently non-responsive. He's had it cleaned out with compressed air, he's blown into it, etc. These fix it briefly but the problem recurs in a hurry.

Did that already, Rhett. 'Faith in his blowing skills'? Are you capable of a conversation without double entendres? I think not. :D

Also, you're a dorky kind of engineering fella. How 'bout you crack open a DS, get a feel for the workings and then give us a walk through on how to check things over? I pay quite well in the form of pantless elves.....

;)

. Perhaps our own Groovy Game Stop manager could offer some advice.

*stumbles in hungover wearing a bathrobe and an empty rum bottle*

Of course Game Stop does not fix systems at a service level. I can offer you a few options I do to my customers.

It does not cost anything to call Nintendo's customer service number. Nintendo will repair anything under warranty, but will also fix systems out of warranty for a fee.

Right now a DS light will fetch you about $50 if you trade it in towards a 3DS. Otherwise you are looking at around $25 for the system in trade. The only other factor, is that Game Stop MUST charge you a refurbishing fee if it is not fully functional, I think that might be around $10 in the US. These prices change from day to day, so call in before you go in.

The good news is that with the 3DS craze in full effect, our stores have a very nice selection of pre-owned DS Lites, DSI's and DSI XLs. Seriously some of these look like they were hardly played. Here are the prices on new and used DS systems:

3DS: $249.99

DS Lite New: $129.99 Used: $99.99

DSI New: $149.99 Used: $129.99

DSI XL New: $169.99 Used: $149.99

My advice is see how much Nintendo will charge you to fix, if it is too much, then trade your broken DS in on another new or used system. Even if it is broken, they will still require a stylus, and a charger. Hope that helps.

*goes back to bed*

Archived