Home

Jabba's Slave Dancer...

hezekiaah

I will agree with that, She was pretty ditzy!!

Right - yeah she was very much a ditz.

* I mean - standing over a giant Rancor pit while she's making Jabba mad...

* Dancing virtually naked and then being surprised when Jabba wants her to go to him...

* Trying to escape from Jabba in the middle of the desert (where would she have GONE?)

* Getting into a power struggle with a giant slug...

To name a few...Certainly too bad it happened - but seemed inevitable with her lack of sense - if she'd had half the know-how Leia had she'd have learned to lie low I think. Attention with Jabba can only cause trouble.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There a few problems I see with some of the arguments in this discussion. First and foremost is that hutts are hermaphrodites not asexual. For those who don't know this means that they posses both male and female genitalia, which is a characteristic they share with many gastropods. So as disgusting as it sounds, it means Jabba either was artificially inseminated or got knocked up by another hutt.

As far as Jabba's attraction to humanoid females, it is stated in several books(Han Solo Trilogy) that his harem of slave girls was considered a "perversion" by some other prominent hutts, who saw it as something similar to bestiality. So yes Jabba was "attracted" by Leia and Oola.

Now why did Oola resist? Well it wasn't because she was ditzy (where did you get that from?), I'm pretty sure of that. Oola had been Jabba's slave for quite sometime and in that period was subjected to Jabba's "perversion", something that was obviously very traumatic for her. She had resisted him several times before and had been punished with beating by gamorrean guards (Tales from Jabba's Palace). So when Jabba pulls on her chain, his intentions clear, she resists hoping to keep away and suffer a beating rather than another night with her master. Jabba decided he had had enough of her disobedience and pulls her over the trapdoor and drops her in.

I agree with what you're saying...

I guess I didn't mean she was killed for being ditzy - mostly I was stating that it wasn't bright of her to resist and think she wasn't going to be killed for it. Maybe she'd been just beaten before, but it seemed like she didn't realize she was disposable somehow; why else would she stand over the trap door like that when she could go left/right and be okay?

I agree with what you're saying...

I guess I didn't mean she was killed for being ditzy - mostly I was stating that it wasn't bright of her to resist and think she wasn't going to be killed for it. Maybe she'd been just beaten before, but it seemed like she didn't realize she was disposable somehow; why else would she stand over the trap door like that when she could go left/right and be okay?

It wasn't like she was standing over the trapdoor on purpose, Jabba pulled her there. Watch the scene again and right before Jabba presses the button and you'll see Oola yanked over the spot of the trap.And how is she supposed to react in time to move right or left? She would have first had to have realized Jabba's intentions to kill her and then somehow keep away from the trap. It seemed like she could barely keep away from Jabba who wasn't even puling his hardest, so even if she had known his plans I doubt she could have stayed away. She was probably naive for not realizing Jabba would kill her if she refused too many times, but stupid? No.

Also, before people start making the argument that she was stupid for resisting in the first place and she should have played it safe like Leia did, think about it for a moment. Oola had been a slave for sometime and had no real hope for escape or rescue. Leia on the other hand knew that help was coming and that all she had to do was survive until Luke arrived. So Leia acted the obedient slave to throw Jabba off his guard and make sure she didn't anger him enough to find herself in the rancor pit. If Leia had to spend the rest of her life with Jabba I'm sure she would have resisted more, and probably gotten herself killed before to long.

I apologize if I sounded offensive to anyone in either of my posts, that was certainly not my intention. Sometimes its hard to tell what kind of tone I'm portraying in my writing so I'm sorry if there was some kind of misunderstanding. I realize this is all in good fun, but I saw what I thought were factual errors on this thread and decided to my opinions on them. I just find it hard to characterize Oola as ditzy from probably a grand total of 60 seconds of screen time, all of which she basically sits, dances, and is dropped into the rancor pit.

No worries - I didn't take offense. I understand, there are probably multiple "factual errors" with what we were saying maybe...I guess I just usually look at what the movie seems to intend rather than all the back stories and whatnot that have arisen since. Being as her screen time is so short, and Jabba basically ignores her that whole time up until right before her death, then there can be a lot of speculation, which can't be backed up with fact, too true. Mostly I think it's a question of semantics (naive & ditsy, while one sounds more negative, are not entirely separate in their meaning; both mean ignorant, more or less).

Anyhow, you did have some great points cafiwam, and I did re-watch that scene. Indeed, Jabba does seem to tug her onto the door before he drops her. Kind of a silly observation that I noticed too, was that she had actually a lot of slack to her leash that she herself was holding the whole time. It's probably just a stupid movie glitch, but that kind of backs up your point of her naivety towards Jabba killing her; if she thought Jabba would feed her, she could have easily let go of the leash and run back quite a ways from him, instead of continuing to try and take the rest of the leash from Jabba. This is the original version I'm referring to, I don't know, SE might be different.

I suppose your right, naive and ditzy are very similar words with ditzy having a more negative connotation. I just thought people might be jumping to conclusions about her character without knowing the fully story of what happened.

After re-watching the scene I saw Oola holding a noticeable amount of slack from her chain as well. I think this might be the same length of chain she was holding while she was dancing. You might be right though, it could just be a continuity error from the film. Not really sure.

Well in the original script Oola's character was far more developed and she had a lot more to do. She actually escapes with Luke and the others and ends up joining the alliance as a dancer to boost morale or something. It would have been cool to see that but it would have probably meant sacrificing all the shots of Leia in her gold bikini, so even though I prefer Oola I don't think phasing Leia out as slave would have been smart.

Also Oola has been confirmed as one of the characters that will be on the Star Wars Live-Action show if it's ever made.The new series is focusing on minor characters and telling their stories so I'm looking forward to that. Unfortunately right now the show is kinda of on the back-burner and there's speculation about whether it will ever be made or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

I agree, her character should have been more fleshed out....Interesting, I thought I read that in the original script she escaped and got recaptured, and then meets her doom, not escape completely. I could be wrong. There were other deleted scenes with her that I wish they add in, rather than "tweak" scenes. Who cares if the film is longer - Lord of the Rings is like 3hours, no one minds :)

On the previous stuff - probably they had her grabbing her own chain because it'd be next to impossible to actually have a puppet grabbing and reeling a chain in. I still think she was trying to escape from him (she's really yanking on that chain a lot!), and so it could be that she was trying to take as much of her chain from Jabba, not realizing he would kill her for it.

I think their argument is generally pretty obvious too, but I still haven't actually seen an official translation of it - which is odd considering how every fake language seems to have a dictionary these days.

I actually got the information about the original script from an interview with Femi Taylor who played Oola in the film. Here's the site:

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/femitaylor.asp

Not sure about her trying to escape. I mean her chain is actually literally locked to the throne. It only unlocked when Jabba pressed the button. One of the source books has something about Jabba' throne and I'm pretty sure it said something about how his the switch on his throne simultaneously opens the trapdoor and releases the chain. Oola, however might not have known this.

As far as translations go, your right there is nothing official as far as I know. There is a huttese dictionary online (completewermosguide.com) but most of the words they were speaking either don't appear or too hard to make out. The only one we know is "Da Eitha" which means "come here" in huttese.

Thanks for the info, i too looked at a interview with Femi taylor, This one was about how good she looked after all those years of Return of the Jedi, seeing how they used her again in the Special edition scenes.

I really hope they do come out with a series, Based around certain characters, It couldn't be any worse than whats on the SyFy channel, Stargate SG1, Battlestar Galactica, Etc!!

I really hope they do come out with a series, Based around certain characters, It couldn't be any worse than whats on the SyFy channel, Stargate SG1, Battlestar Galactica, Etc!!

Agreed. I'd much rather have a live-action show than the Clone Wars series. We'll see if Lucas ever gets around to it considering he's working on releasing the original films in 3d and keeping the show on cartoon network going.

Agreed. I'd much rather have a live-action show than the Clone Wars series. We'll see if Lucas ever gets around to it considering he's working on releasing the original films in 3d and keeping the show on cartoon network going.

We can only, But do you think it's necessary to make them in 3D, I mean it may ruin it?:raise:

We can only, But do you think it's necessary to make them in 3D, I mean it may ruin it?:raise:

I don't know why Lucas has decided to go back and do them in 3d. Most likely its about trying to get as much money out of the franchise as possible, but as we've seen with "Clash of the Titans" , if you try to convert something that was filmed in 3d it doesn't look as good. I would rather he left them alone because, like you said it might ruin them, but it's Lucas's property. We'll see.

True - the only problem is Lucas' reputation has been on the line for a while and still has seemed to screw things up (in my opinion at least). But hopefully he'll improve.

As for your previous comments - I never suspected her chain was locked into the dais when she was dancing...I figured Jabba had unhooked it and was holding it? It seemed like it at least - same thing with Leia. Then it would make sense for her to escape. But you could definitely be right.

Thanks for the website as well - interesting interview. It's interesting she says she only did the 2 scenes...I swear I saw a picture recently where it looks like 3PO is talking to Oola on the set...but maybe that was a snapshot between takes or something.

As for your previous comments - I never suspected her chain was locked into the dais when she was dancing...I figured Jabba had unhooked it and was holding it? It seemed like it at least - same thing with Leia. Then it would make sense for her to escape. But you could definitely be right.

Thanks for the website as well - interesting interview. It's interesting she says she only did the 2 scenes...I swear I saw a picture recently where it looks like 3PO is talking to Oola on the set...but maybe that was a snapshot between takes or something.

Remember Leia was only able to escape after r2 cut her chain. If it wasn't locked she could have just pulled it from Jabba and ran.

As for the picture your referring to, I've seen it as well. Here it is:

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/frieza112/Oola%20the%20Slave%20of%20Jabba/?action=view&current=p465eh.jpg

I believe this picture was taken as promotional image for the movie that was rarely used. It was never intended to be part of the film. It is interesting though, because Oola does talk to Threepio in "Oola's Tale" from "Tales from Jabba's Palace. Perhaps Lucas had some ideas and perhaps had a sort of dress rehearsal without actually filming to see how it looked before deciding to scrap the scene and focus on filming on the other 2 she was in. This would be a great question to ask either Lucas or Femi.

True - the only problem is Lucas' reputation has been on the line for a while and still has seemed to screw things up (in my opinion at least). But hopefully he'll improve.

You're right i found the same pic online, In between takes, She said she talked to Anthony Daniels, along with some other cast members, Just from reading her interview, she seemed really down to earth.

You're right i found the same pic online, In between takes, She said she talked to Anthony Daniels, along with some other cast members, Just from reading her interview, she seemed really down to earth.

Ah, so it was just a snapshot from between scenes. Good catch :thmbup1:

Thanks for the good point Cafiwam, yeah it'd have been difficult for Leia to strangle Jabba with her chain if it wasn't somehow hooked into the dais as well - I just thought that was a movie mistake. Does make the idea of Oola escaping a big silly then if she knew she couldn't pull her chain away. Don't know why she was yanking so much on it then - probably just not thinking in the moment.

Also, doubly good catch/point Sith Lord; as cool an additional scene as that would be, you're probably right in and that it was just a between-take thing and not filmed. Makes sense.

Archived