Home

I Want to Hear Your Silly Theories About a Silly Occurrence

Sir Vougalot

There's one thing that has always bothered me: When Galen blinded Kota, how exactly was he blinded? The obvious answer is, "Well, his lightsaber touched his eyes, dummy!" But did it? If so, why is it that Kota did not have a huge chunk of his skull missing where his eyes should have been? For that matter, there appear to be absolutely no horizontal scars left over from the lightsaber whatsoever, only scars that appear to be left from other things. The eyes themselves bear no trace of burns, either. See here.

You can't say that his retinas were simply scorched from such close proximity to the blade either, because we know from Star Wars lore that the blade of a lightsaber emits absolutely no heat whatsoever--even in extremely close proximity--except within the blade shaft itself. In Shadows of the Empire, when Luke is finished constructing his new lightsaber, he puts his hand as close to the blade as possible to make sure that no heat is emitted, ensuring that he followed the directions properly.

The only solution I can think of is reconstructive surgery. Prosthetics are quite lifelike in the Star Wars universe, plus they have something called "synthflesh," and I would imagine that bone reconstruction would be spot-on as well. Maybe PROXY performed it aboard the Rogue Shadow, since he was obviously adept at treating Starkiller's injuries. Maybe that was why Kota wore a blindfold before then, in order to hide the missing part of his face.

What are your theories?

[Edit] Oh yeah, it just occurred to me that this probably should have gone in the other forum. Oh well. Move it there if you want to.

• 4 months later...

they probably thought it would look stupid if kota had a giant hole from one side of his head to the other.. he needed to look scarred but still strong.. with such a wound he would have looked like a joke in my opinion...

that or the makers were like: "the player will never notice it, dont bother about thinking of something complicated"

My theory is that I don't care. Really, there are better things in the series to speculate about.

Besides, there actually is nothing in the game of Proxy having medical capabilities, and wouldn't be able to get reconstructive whatever without any money.

Could have done without your first paragraph. Truly, there is nothing more frustrating than someone exhibiting such an attitude. If you don't care, then don't post.

As for the second paragraph, I don't think it's such a stretch to assume that PROXY had medical programming because Starkiller undoubtedly had a need for it as he undertook such dangerous missions.

Surgery by proxy? You mean surgery done by someone on behalf of someone else? Just kidding . . .

The only reasonable in-universe explanation is reconstructive surgery unless the case can be made that the contact was so brief that his face and eyes would not have been severely disfigured by the blade. You can suffer varying degrees of injury from a given heat source depending on the duration of contact. Also note that Kota's eyes had water on them, which may be pertinent since you can touch fire for a split second without getting burned so long as your hand is wet.

But since lightsabers can cut through almost any material without encountering resistance and may have an internal blade temperature hotter than the sun, escaping from severe disfigurement is probably not possible even if contact is only made for a millisecond. That is unless all lightsabers have a "coronal" layer represented by the colored aura that is not as hot as the core and thus capable of inflicting minor burns under the right circumstances. There's my "silly" theory for you.

The lightsaber may not have even touched him, but the heat from the lightsaber, at such a close proximity to his face would certainly have been enough to blind him.

It's already known in the real world that you can burn your retinas through looking at the Sun or a similar bright light for too long. It's likely that the blade so close to his eyes completely disintegrated his retinas, or damaged them beyond repair or healing.

The lightsaber may not have even touched him, but the heat from the lightsaber, at such a close proximity to his face would certainly have been enough to blind him.

You can't say that his retinas were simply scorched from such close proximity to the blade either, because we know from Star Wars lore that the blade of a lightsaber emits absolutely no heat whatsoever--even in extremely close proximity--except within the blade shaft itself. In Shadows of the Empire, when Luke is finished constructing his new lightsaber, he puts his hand as close to the blade as possible to make sure that no heat is emitted, ensuring that he followed the directions properly.

What you said in your second paragraph about the light is plausible, though, but not the heat.

Archived