Home

Lightsabers

Sp!ker

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, initially we all attacked Bioware for the size of the Hilts, which they resized to a certain degree, but yea, I have noticed that the actual Blade itself looks kinda flat and stick-like, not at all bright and fuzzy like the films and all other games have established, little bit more light and edge blur please :)

I agree that they don't look very good...it's hard to pinpoint exactly what doesn't look good but my biggest problem is with the blade, not the hilt. I basically want it to look exactly like the lightsabers in the prequels. I think the problem is that they are thicker at the base than at the tip.

thicker blade, more light and edge blur and reduce the size of hilt and it will be perfect... :-)

I think the hilt size is fine. To be honest, I think the sabers are pretty well fine as they are. And at least you can holster(belt clip) them unlike KotOR or TSL where you just carried them in your hands everywhere.

The hilts have been way improved, but the blade looks a bit off. The width seems ok, but it looks strangely flat, perhaps because the separation of the white 'core' and the colored part is too defined, not a more gradual fade-in, though there could be some other reason.

I've noticed that while the graphics are still cartoonish, they're way less exaggerated (especially character models) than early screens showed. IMO this is a good thing, and the 'stylized graphics' fad is just as annoying as the much hated 'everything is gray and brown because we're gritty and realistic and other colors don't exist in war zones/the future' graphics.

It's the same reason why CG movies still look cartoony instead of looking increasingly realistic, as was expected. It's cheaper, and you can get away with it.

IIRC, Borderlands shifting to the stylised graphics was a major thing. Back when it was announced and the first screenies were shown, there was little to differentiate the game from your average post-apo shooter.

Of course, that probably has more to do with the game and its story itself than it has to do with graphics, but so long as that's that, everyone's going to go stylised, rather than risk competing with Crytek and not being good enough to stand out.

As with most MMO's the sabers/graphics are probably low poly, low impact to ensure the smoothest possible framerate...

You think griefing over an MMO vs SP is bad? Just wait till a raid is failed because graphics on server side hang. Talk about "ugh" days on the forums. Half the users revert to their inner 10 year old. ;)

It's the same reason why CG movies still look cartoony instead of looking increasingly realistic, as was expected. It's cheaper, and you can get away with it.

IIRC, Borderlands shifting to the stylised graphics was a major thing. Back when it was announced and the first screenies were shown, there was little to differentiate the game from your average post-apo shooter.

Of course, that probably has more to do with the game and its story itself than it has to do with graphics, but so long as that's that, everyone's going to go stylised, rather than risk competing with Crytek and not being good enough to stand out.

Oh I completely understand why they do it (price, looks better on low settings, etc.), and that obviously devs can't base their art styles on 'what liverandbacon would like'.

Personally, I don't need a game to look like it's from Crytek. Hell, I still play Ultima VII (and everyone should). However, even with older graphics (perhaps not Ultima VII old though), one can make a game that's clearly going for realism, or clearly going for cartoonishness.

I'm fine with stylization in games that are meant to be lighthearted or absurd (Borderlands for instance). However, in a more serious game, with deeper themes (what Bioware are claiming TOR is), cartoonish graphics are jarring and detract from the game IMO.

I should probably stop posting about TOR, since I'm seemingly unable to comment on it without being an absolute misery. And my opinion is irrelevant anyway, since I'm never going to play a game with subscription fees (If all games got them, I'd give them up entirely, without hesitation).

I have heard that the blade color would be determined by crystals, and not your class, so that should be good.

In one of the gameplay vidyas they showed a Sith picking up and using a red saber and a blue saber. So it's entirely possible that you can change out crystals. I mean that was one of the basic things of KotOR, so it would be rather silly not to include that.

lightsabers from movie - http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/palpatine_4.jpg

lightsabers from other star wars games - http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/jediacademy_xbx_101003_006.jpg (jedi academy)

and now lightsabers from OLD REPUBLIC - http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-the-old-republic%5B4%5D.jpg

Here you can see the difference

worst-looking sabers are in old republic :-///

Why did they do that?

lightsabers from movie - http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/palpatine_4.jpg

lightsabers from other star wars games - http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/jediacademy_xbx_101003_006.jpg (jedi academy)

and now lightsabers from OLD REPUBLIC - http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-the-old-republic%5B4%5D.jpg

Here you can see the difference

worst-looking sabers are in old republic :-///

Why did they do that?

Um, try comparing the saber to the one in my video. It's the more recent vid, so we have the recent saber. I think it looks pretty dang nice.

they dont look so good.,even in your video-> not ... if you see .. light of lightsaber is too sharp... the edges arent blurred...sabre is very thin... in the best starwars game i expected better design of Lightsabers.. thats all ...

I dunno, comparing between KotOR and TOR, they look about the same. Maybe slightly larger hilts, but then you can actually change the style of your hilt... I guess you could add a bit more light diffusion... But really at this point, lightsaber criticism's are down to nit picking.

Archived