Home

Lightsabers

Sp!ker

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah epic nostalgia'd

Yea, Jedi Academy is a game in which the sabers were allright :-)

I dunno, comparing between KotOR and TOR, they look about the same.

i don't care f any 7 years old game - kotor ..

now comes tor.. I would say that the lightsabers are even better in Kotor than TOR (they are "not much" in Kotor too).. i dont know why did they do lightsabers stick-like in tor.. it doesnt look good!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't care f any 7 years old game - kotor ..

now comes tor.. I would say that the lightsabers are even better in Kotor than TOR (they are "not much" in Kotor too).. i dont know why did they do lightsabers stick-like in tor.. it doesnt look good!

KotOR was made by Bioware.

I think it's just a matter of opinion. I don't like super glowey overly done sabers. YMMV

me too of course .. I dont wanna too glowing saber like here - http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/kotor/kotor-5b.jpg saber ... I just like the sabers in movie thats all ... and I think that most people have the same opinion

Which movie... in Episode IV it was very bland, V it was more refined, but still kinda bland, VI it got to looking pretty nice. then we got the prequels that had good looking sabers that varied to overly fuzzy at times.

Technically, the blurred moving lightsaber should only happen in the movies, because of the 24 fps motion blur. In a game that's supposed to run at 60, there shouldn't be that blurry effect. I think.

I'm not an expert on the pretend science of lightsabers, but I always assumed it was like the blur you get when you 'write' with a sparkler. Visible with human eyesight, not due to a video camera.

edit: never mind, just realized you meant it wouldn't be visible when paused, not in game. That makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that if there's a way to have motion blur while still maintaining a good FPS, they should go for it. The one thing that I think they should definitely change is the fact that the lightsaber gets thicker at the bottom. I think that while lightsabers should have rounded tips for aesthetic purposes, the edges should definitely be parallel, otherwise it looks to me more like a glowing sword rather than a blade made out of energy.

• 4 weeks later...
thicker blade, more light and edge blur and reduce the size of hilt and it will be perfect... :-)

^^ This. I have *always* had an issue with the saber hilts and blades we have seen in TOR thusfar. It looks too.... cut and dry? The lightsabers in BioWare's KOTOR looked a kagillion times better than what's in TOR right now. And that game is what? 200 years old now? If it isn't broke, do not fix it.

[rant]I don't think the hilts are a problem. I mean, look at the ones in JKA!!! Those things are HUGE compared to TOR. Now, it's the BLADE I'm worried about. I mean, come on! Those don't even look like LIGHTSABERS!!! Now, if Bioware doesn't improve this, I will give up on them.(well, just the star wars games.)[/rant]

• 1 month later...

hm...isn't it a little irrational to give up on a BIOWARE sw game because the lightsabers are sketchy? I think they aren't that bad, they certainly could get better, but i think there are plenty of things i'd be more worried about, like maybe story or something. Half the classes don't even use lightsabers. I think the game will be great regardless of whether or not the blades are toothpicks or foam bats. And if you really have that big of a problem with them...well, you could always be a trooper? Ok, sorry about my long, boring, and most likely offensive rant, but i really think there's some overreactions about petty details, i mean they aren't even THAT BAD. Trust in the collective wisdom of the Bioware Council.

I just find it funny that people are screaming "heads should roll" over lightsaber graphics when every other post in the forums are "Graphics aren't as important as story, story, story"... :xp:

When you start adding blur (motion, directional, gaussian, etc.), you start adding frame field information (rendering times are affected a lot more by blur than one would think). That additional rendering affects frame rates. In an mmo/multiplayer game.. I want framerates over motion blur. ;)

I honestly don't mind how they look now. If they change by release, yay.. if not, no biggie. They've already convinced my money to depart from my wallet.. hehehe

Archived