Home

LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando

Sabretooth

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^If you have the second Dark Forces game Jedi Knight, there is an expansion "Mysteries of the sith". If I am not mistaken it is where you get to play as Mara Jade--though this is after turning away from palpatine... I don't feel like looking it up right now so if anyone has corrections then please do, by all means. Inform us--it is for our new LF friend Primogen's benefit. :D

All these hopes and dreams and LucasArts hasn't even announced anything yet... I mean, we keep on saying the same things every time this sort of news comes around... "I hope for this, I hope for that"... if I have to say "I want a Podracer game and a new X-Wing" again in one of these threads and then have LA say "lolno" later on by firing more staff, I'm gonna... meh, whatever I don't care, I have other vidya to play.

All these hopes and dreams and LucasArts hasn't even announced anything yet... I mean, we keep on saying the same things every time this sort of news comes around... "I hope for this, I hope for that"... if I have to say "I want a Podracer game and a new X-Wing" again in one of these threads and then have LA say "lolno" later on by firing more staff, I'm gonna... meh, whatever I don't care, I have other vidya to play.

It's the nature of the Lucasarts fan. We're like the Arsenal supporters of gaming. We see a company with massive potential that let's us down every time ;)

I'd love a straight up stormtrooper game.

What I'd be curious to see is if LA would try to get some controversy $$$ by putting in something along the lines of a 'kill the political protestors and make it look like a rebel attack' or 'assassinate the alien civil rights leader' bit.

On one hand, I think that sort of thing always ends up being completely tasteless (for example the airport bit of MW2), and I don't know if it's even possible to not be. On the other hand, it wouldn't make much sense if the soldiers of a brutal, repressive regime never did anything brutal or repressive in game. Also LA doesn't seem likely to make a high-budget game very soon, let alone one with the ESRB rating more controversial content would likely entail.

I still hope for LA to make certain games, but I don't let it bother me that they don't. As Lynk said, there's plenty of other games to play (already too many for me to play all the ones I"m interested in), and plenty of non-video game things to do as well.

Which is funny. Apparently no one told that the Rating M was for Money.

But anyway, the Airport bit in MW2 was tasteless because it was completely pointless. In ImpCommando, assuming they had the stones to actually do this kind of thing, it would most likely have more of a point than just 'Yeah, you do this to drum up controversy and then you get shot, we didn't really need this to be playable at all.'

But frankly, what I'd like to see is Rebel Operative. Go for sort of a cross between Dark Forces, Hitman, and Red Faction Guerrilla. It -could- be awesome. Thus, it'll never happen.

The Airport scene in MW2 wasn't pointless. You were being put into the shoes of an undercover operative who had to do terrible things for what is justified as the greater good...

But anyway, as for LA going for controversial content... why does anyone really need to insert controversial content into their games for it to be a good game that people willl buy? Hell, the games don't even need to be high budget to begin with... there's way too much emphasis put on high budget gritty games when all you need is something fun.

That is why we play games right? (Unless you're one of those types that likes a snifter of port and a selection of fine cheeses while they play vidya)

The Airport scene in MW2 wasn't pointless. You were being put into the shoes of an undercover operative who had to do terrible things for what is justified as the greater good...
Also led to him/the US being pegged as responsible for the massacre... leading to the whole war thing, so yeah it was fairly important and not pointless. :xp:

Yeah, that's what we in the snark biz call BS. Come on. Russia finds a dead guy at the scene of a massacre, somehow discerns he's an American agent, and their response is 'Well, OBVIOUSLY the United States did this because I mean, they obviously stand to gain a ton by butchering a couple dozen Russian civilians, so let's just invade them.' In a word - what? That makes -no- logical sense. It was just a cheap plot device.

But anyway, as for LA going for controversial content... why does anyone really need to insert controversial content into their games for it to be a good game that people willl buy? Hell, the games don't even need to be high budget to begin with... there's way too much emphasis put on high budget gritty games when all you need is something fun.

That is why we play games right? (Unless you're one of those types that likes a snifter of port and a selection of fine cheeses while they play vidya)

Well you see I think games are art and need to have a deep emotional impact with a serious social message in order for the medium to really gain the respect it.... oh god I can't say any more without vomiting.

I'm very much a fun-centric gamer, though of course what's needed for fun can vary depending on genre; if I'm playing an FPS with a good story but terrible shooting, it's not going to hold my interest. I actually stayed pretty boring in my post, not saying if LA should or shouldn't put in controversial bits. I simply said that it would be interesting to see if they decided to (their desire for easy extra publicity and $$$ vs. their aversion to M-rated games). However, controversial or not, if LA ever makes a game where you play the bad guy (not counting RPGs), they'll need to include something to make you realize it. A stormtrooper game without some evil stuff would be pretty pointless.

When I said 'big budget', I was kind of looking for a less hostile way of saying 'not another shovelware clone wars game'. Anyway, most of the 'pure fun' low-budget games would be harder to just slap a Star Wars license on, since they tend to shy away from more common genres like FPS or RTS, which tend to need large budgets to compete on the shelves. The easiest cheap-but-fun 'type' of game (seriously, it's not like LA's going to think of a new one) to put the Star Wars license on would be a tower defense game. But seriously, isn't everyone getting kinda sick of those by now?

As for the Airport level in MW2, it was important that something happen for the story to make any sense at all (though seriously, a Russian invasion is almost laughably unlikely under any circumstances, even if one discounts the problems with the plot device as pointed out by Primogen). However it was executed badly. Since gameplay-wise, slaughtering unarmed people is boring, and the story could have been advanced in the same way with a more fun level (i.e. an attempt to stop the terrorists ends in the same frame-job, or even make the plot stronger by having some CIA or TF 141 or MI6 group get ordered/tricked into something more damaging to Russia than killing a few dozen people. Either option gives us dudes with guns to shoot at, thus better gameplay), the only good (from a player's perspective) reason to make the level the way they did is to have some sort of emotional impact. I didn't feel it (and considering the player character was meant to be a guy from the 75th, I probably would be more likely than other people to do so). Not one other person I've talked to who's played the level felt much more than boredom either. That pretty much leaves one good (this time from a company's perspective) reason for putting it in the way it was: Simple controversy-baiting for $$$. Which, when the controversial item is a fairly plausible (probably the only fairly plausible thing in the entire game) terrorist attack with players as participants, is IMO tasteless.

TL;DR: I like fun at any budget, but not shovelware. Also, MW2 could have had a fun level with the same story effect in MW2, but they made a non-fun level for easy controversy $$$ instead.

Of course there was no emotional impact! You come out of an elevator and start shooting. There's no way to -get- emotional about it. It's like having a family of four come walking through the line of fire in Gears of War, you're not horrified when they get perforated, you don't -care-. Actually, in that situation, you might just be laughing at the sheer absurdity, but still.

Yeah, that's what we in the snark biz call BS. Come on. Russia finds a dead guy at the scene of a massacre, somehow discerns he's an American agent, and their response is 'Well, OBVIOUSLY the United States did this because I mean, they obviously stand to gain a ton by butchering a couple dozen Russian civilians, so let's just invade them.' In a word - what? That makes -no- logical sense. It was just a cheap plot device.
I never said the plot of MW2 made sense, it's quite the opposite actually. I just said that was the purpose of that level, which it was. Not that I really played MW2 anyway...

mw2_11rooster.jpg

Archived