Home

LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando

Sabretooth

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever heard of a Mary Sue? Gary Stu is another for them. It feels weird to use Mary Sue when referring to a male.

For those uninitiated into the mysteries of Mary Sue, I'll explain in more detail. A Mary Sue is a character that is unreasonably well loved by other characters and often ridiculously overpowered in one form or another. The character type is generally typically seen in bad fanfiction. Like Revan, who according to KotoR II was, in addition to being a skilled strategist and a powerful Jedi Knight, was able to use the Dark Side without being corrupted by it and everything that happened including his mindwipe, etc, was all part of a super awesome master plan.

Note that in KotoR II, Revan is not only universally respected, but half the conversations with Kreia - who is pretty much the most important character in the game, surpassing even the Exile - revolve around how super special awesome Revan was and so on. It was little more than tasteless pandering to the base.

The man chased away a race of genocide-maniacs, then led a largely successful military campaign against what were formerly his own forces, and the successfully destroyed his own military campaign, led by a man he had trained and was very intimate with. And because the badassness quota in his life was clearly not filled, he leaves the very galaxy to find other people to lead an insurgency against.

I think he deserves some credit.

very interesting :thmbup1:

Just had a quick look at the link. It's the same writer from the Darth Bane books and I liked those and of course I really liked Kotor 1 & 2 so i'll definitly pick up Revan. Any idea when it'll actually be out? The article just said later this year....

I'm still not going to pay good money to play TOR though.

Getting back on topic... http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/26/lucasarts-signs-multi-year-unreal-engine-3-licensing-deal/

Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 game development tools just got a new buyer. The company announced today it has signed a multi-year agreement with LucasArts. The agreement is to use Unreal Engine as the basis for "multiple projects" at the developer/publisher. There is no word on which games will use the engine and financial details were not disclosed.

LucasArts has used previous versions of Epic's Unreal Engine before. The most notable use was with LucasArts' Star Wars Repubic Commando tactical shooter which was first released way back in 2005. Rumors of a sequel to that game have popped up on the net from time to time.

Archived