Home

Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars should die?

Taak Farst

You aren't missing out if you haven't read either. Legacy of the Force is essentially a nine-book flushing of several characters down the drain in more ways than one. Republic Commando starts out strong with Hard Contact, and Triple Zero isn't bad, but True Colors and Order 66 are both godawful.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not my point, I just want to know if he's read them as there is a culture of people reading in a forum "Post ROTJ Sucks!", then going to another forum and just parroting "Post ROTJ Sucks!".

I think LOTF is a Long series, But the major plot points are great Star Wars IMO, but I have closure on these, so we can agree to disagree.

At least Mando's in TCW are not "a bunch of Boba Fett's" (and I'm not talking about armor).
Yeah, even though many tried to **** all over that I found the idea of a diverse group of people refreshing.

I think LOTF is a Long series, But the major plot points are great Star Wars IMO, but I have closure on these, so we can agree to disagree.
I thought it started out well and had a good premise, but went completely off the rails near the end, to the point were I didn't read the last book or two of the series and swore off further post-ROTJ novels. But that's just me. :)

On the subject of Karen Traviss, I've only read the up through the 501st. I am ignorant of just about everything that takes place after ROTJ.

The premise seems sound, but the Mandalorians definitely became overpowered. That being said, I really enjoy how she fleshed the clones out as individuals and did make me question the legitimacy of a clone army.

Personally, I think that there should be a happy medium. The movies revolve primarily around Jedi (not exclusively, Han and Chewbacca are excellent non-Jedi characters). Because Jedi are so central to the story, they get put up on a pedestal as being invincible. Again, they aren't, but your average Jedi pretty much steamrolls over all competition, which makes the majority of non-Force users seem like cannon fodder. Conversely, you have the Republic Commando series. Instead of attempting to turn Jedi into mortals with extraordinary abilities that are also the good guys, the series elevates another group to semi-mythical status and then makes them out to be the heroes of the galaxy.

How about instead of filling the galaxy with super powered factions, we tone everyone back down a bit? The prequels, for all there faults, did a good job of balancing the super hero status of Jedi in TOS with Jedi that could actually be killed.

When you get right down to it, Jedi are mortal. I think the best balance would be something like in TSL, where Jedi are very dangerous, but with enough training (like Atton had) they can be defeated by non-Force sensitive soldiers.

Also, if I had known about all the hate for the Republic Commando series, maybe I would have chosen a different username and picture; it makes it kind of obvious that I enjoyed the books ;)

Seems like a thinly veiled way of saying 'I don't like The Clone Wars'.

(rips veil) I DON'T like the clone wars, and I don't think Star Wars should/will die anytime soon - it's fanbase will see to that and basically as long as Lucas is profiting from the franchise it will live on in some form. I would still prefer for the novels to keep coming as they are usually actually interesting and introduce good characters & plot points (when Lucas doesn't decide that the entire story needs to be whitewashed with more clone wars and basically turns the whole novel series into fanon).

I finally watched all of the clone wars, from the movie to the very last episode released so far.

I still think all of those clone wars games are STUPID.

But the TV series itself is not as bad as people make it out to be. It certainly not as good as the original clone wars series, but it's not OMG, I'll cut my own penis off to make them take it off the air!" bad.

On the subject of Karen Traviss, I've only read the up through the 501st. I am ignorant of just about everything that takes place after ROTJ.

The premise seems sound, but the Mandalorians definitely became overpowered. That being said, I really enjoy how she fleshed the clones out as individuals and did make me question the legitimacy of a clone army.

Personally, I think that there should be a happy medium. The movies revolve primarily around Jedi (not exclusively, Han and Chewbacca are excellent non-Jedi characters). Because Jedi are so central to the story, they get put up on a pedestal as being invincible. Again, they aren't, but your average Jedi pretty much steamrolls over all competition, which makes the majority of non-Force users seem like cannon fodder. Conversely, you have the Republic Commando series. Instead of attempting to turn Jedi into mortals with extraordinary abilities that are also the good guys, the series elevates another group to semi-mythical status and then makes them out to be the heroes of the galaxy.

How about instead of filling the galaxy with super powered factions, we tone everyone back down a bit? The prequels, for all there faults, did a good job of balancing the super hero status of Jedi in TOS with Jedi that could actually be killed.

When you get right down to it, Jedi are mortal. I think the best balance would be something like in TSL, where Jedi are very dangerous, but with enough training (like Atton had) they can be defeated by non-Force sensitive soldiers.

Also, if I had known about all the hate for the Republic Commando series, maybe I would have chosen a different username and picture; it makes it kind of obvious that I enjoyed the books ;)

Seeing as I seem to have become Traviss Basher No. 1, I can say you've got nothing to worry about. :)

I largely agree about the need for a happy medium. But it's important that the Jedi are the super heroes - it's pretty much the first rule of Star Wars. :)

But the TV series itself is not as bad as people make it out to be. It certainly not as good as the original clone wars series, but it's not OMG, I'll cut my own penis off to make them take it off the air!" bad.

Fortunately those sorts of fans seem to be in the minority in the fandom at large, and we shouldn't take people with self mutilation issues seriously in the first place. :p

I suppose it comes down to preference. I still love the movies and I always will :)

As far as The Clone Wars goes, I haven't followed it religiously or anything, but the episodes that I have seen were pretty good. Star Wars seems to have an appeal to all ages, in this case it just appears to appeal more so to younger viewers than previous examples.

One thing that I was a bit peeved about though: the seemed to make the bulk of Mandalorians pacifists or neutralists (if that is a word), if I remember correctly. Even disregarding Traviss's work to make them unstoppable, just about all the other EU paints them as extremely capable warriors. It seems to be a bit of a slap in the face to just turn Canderous Ordo's people into what they were in the show.

The series itself paints them the same way.

You are correct, I misspoke. I should have said that they seem less war-like in the Clone Wars series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't maintaining Mandalore's neutrality a major plot point? As I've said, I haven't seen all the episodes but from what I remember, the Death Watch seemed to be closer to the Ordo style Mandalorian than the regular citizen on Mandalore during the cartoon.

Archived