Home

Colorado Police Use Pepper Spray on 8 Year Old

JediAthos

I tend to agree with mim on the one-parent/two-parent deal... Yes, ideally we would all be raised by two happy loving parents. The reality is we are lucky to get even one loving parent... those who had two are more and more scarce these days, which was a trend that began a little before my parents divorced in 1977 when I was 5 years old.

My mother was certainly overburdened. She worked full-time and had two children to raise, 5 and 3, by herself. We lived in the ghetto for the first two years after the divorce, and slowly she climbed in her career, making better money for us to live off of, and consequently having less time for us. I was a problem for most of my childhood, my sister slightly less so. I did some wacky things at the school, stuff that I had to have therapy for (or not return to that school).

Would she have benefited having a "partner" raising us? If the partner was an actually interested party, yes! My Dad was not that guy though, and never would be, so she had to do the best she could. Looking back, there were definitely mistakes she made, but in her position I do not fathom how anyone could have done better, or even the same, by herself. She loved us, and paid as much attention to us as she could without losing her jobs.

The "overburdened" thing is a cop-out. She may have been overburdened, but it was a self-fulfilling prophecy of her simply not doing enough in the child's younger years.... She created the overburdening herself, and refused to deal with the situation. There is lots of help available out there... I had a "Big Brother" for years, and it was fortunately a great experience for me, although there have been some bad tales from that program. We went to the Summer Camp for the city kids, bus-riding in and out every day... mostly subsidized so Mom didn't have to foot the whole bill, providing my sis and I an outlet that we resented at the time, but has proven to have been well worth it.

Long story short, there is help out there for "overburdened" single parents, it is incumbent on them to seek it out or rightfully take the blame for their inability to parent their child. This woman has totally blown it, and should be taking the lion's share of the blame.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats called molestation.

Actually it's called assault on a minor. Molestation is if it's sexual in nature. But the point is still valid as neither one would have been acceptable for a law enforcement officer to perform.

• 4 weeks later...
Thats called molestation.

Actually it's called assault on a minor.

You're both wrong. It's called discipline. I'm a horrible enough person IRL, but if I hadn't gotten proper discipline for my misdeeds, I'd probably be out shootin' people instead of workin' a good job and attending church. :cop:

This kid needs some tough discipline. And a moral and just father figure to straighten him up and be an example. And some meds. And a straightjacket.

GTA's post said everything that needed to be said.

You're both wrong. It's called discipline. I'm a horrible enough person IRL, but if I hadn't gotten proper discipline for my misdeeds, I'd probably be out shootin' people instead of workin' a good job and attending church. :cop:

This kid needs some tough discipline. And a moral and just father figure to straighten him up and be an example. And some meds. And a straightjacket.

GTA's post said everything that needed to be said.

i agree with you. if the kid was posing a threat i think the cop had every righ to do tht. and the kid seemed to have no discipline at all. good parents discipline their kids. bad parents might just end up with a little aidan

Getting a spanking from a cop after being subdued isn't going to instill discipline in a kid. It'd be pointless. Pepper spray was the best solution, since it stopped the kid, and didn't risk injuring him in a way the cops might get sued for, like a more physical takedown might have.

Discipline is something that takes time and consistency to permanently teach, no matter what methods you use. The only person who has enough control over that kid's life to teach it is, unfortunately, his mother. She won't, so as I said before, unless the kid is raised elsewhere (new family, boarding school for kids with mental issues), he won't learn. A spanking from a cop won't turn that around and stop him from being a future convict.

You're both wrong. It's called discipline.

Not if a cop does it. First off IF a cop does it, they can get sued by the parents. You and I may not have a problem with it, but it is seen in some parent's eyes as cruelty to the child. I raised two very healthy children and maintained discipline quite well without resorting to whoopins. You can maintain discipline without it. It takes a strong parent. And you have to start before the child gets to the stage where cops have to be brought in. If the cop has to be brought in, you have not done your job as a parent. Not to mention, I learned from my stepmom that if you hit the wrong part on a child, it can be very damaging to more than their "pride" as it can lead to several health issues. If you have to whip a child, please go for the lower legs. Specifically the calves. Still hurts like heck, but won't give them health issues later.

Archived