Home

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Alex IDV. We decided to remove those silly banners anyways but I'm thankful that you pointed it out. I never seem to get those things right, heh. And, yes, The Journey Down is the name of the book they're all hunting for. :)

Here's a new pic from the devblog by the way:D

pumpzoom.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another update!

We recently wrapped up implementation of all the core puzzles and key interactions of chapter one of The Journey Down and have now moved over to the actual polishing of it all. This phase should by no means be underestimated though, just the sheer size of the task of making bwana move to the correct location, turn to the correct angle, and play the correct animation on every single interaction we've got - is a gigantic one.

In short, we seem to somehow magically still be on schedule and are still geared for a PC and Mac release some time by the end of March.

linaplane.jpg

Here's a pic from inside Bwana's dented old airplane. I've spent the last week working on implementing Lina's different animations into the scripts, and this is one of the scenes I wrapped up yesterday. The actual animation work is done by my colleague Henrik though, I'm just standing in as script-monkey.

I also did some ranting on the dev-blog today about implementing emotion in characters, if you're curious, please check it out here.

Thanks sanguinehearts! I appreciate it!

Regarding spoiling the game by playing the low-res version, I guess there's a point in that if you look at it from a story perspective. The new version will contain quite a lot more puzzles than the free original, but it will definitely follow the original plot and story very faithfully. The only big difference there is that we've added quite a lot of backstory and "lore" to the new fancy HD version.

Thanks again for your kind words! I hope we will be able to deliver to your expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm updating to say we pretty much wrapped up voice work on our last major character, Matoke, and that this means we're practically finished with ALL voice work for chapter one of The Journey Down. It has been one heck of a project to get all these actors and lines to do what we want them to, but finally this gigantic project is starting to wrap up.

matoke.png

If you're interested in hearing some voice samples from Matoke or any of our other characters for that matter, be sure to have a peek at our dev blog, where every major character in the cast have their own spotlight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm updating to say that we've now started chronicling our development on twitter, so if you're curious about more behind the scenes type info such as how we develop environments, etc, be sure to follow me, @theowaern on twitter.

bwanalights.jpg

Above is a pic from a short video Henrik made while working on a short little cinematic for the Journey Down, watch the whole video on his twitter at @Henrik_Englund

If you're more interested in the techy, real nerdy stuff, @skygoblinmarkus is the one you should follow.

Hope to see you on twitter!

It's finally here, the teaser trailer for The Journey Down: Chapter One. Please spam every single person you know with this teaser and help us spread the gospel! We need all the help we can get to be seen in the huge buzz that is the game industry.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

planeflight.jpg

I'm just updating to say we just started blasting out our preview build to the press, so if you're an author of internet propaganda, be sure to send us an email at info ät skygoblin . com and we'll be sure to hook you up with a copy!

Chapter one is coming to PC and Mac in mid May 2012, with releases on iOS and Android to follow shortly thereafter. Read me rant about our development on @theowaern.

• 4 weeks later...

bkcropped-250x300.png

Just dropping by to say that we finally have a release date! Get ready for MAY 18 when we go live on a bunch of different digital stores. Spread the word plz :D also:

PRE-ORDERS ARE NOW AVAILABLE

Please show us struggling point 'n' click developers some support. Reaching out with this above the buzz is virtually impossible, and every single pre-order makes a difference. Thanks friends!

This game reminds me of grim fandango for some reason.

Probably partially because it features 3D characters on a 2D background.

I still want to buy this, but I'm not a fan of SecuROM... Oh, well.

Any news on what other places you'll sell this on? I've only seen it on Gamersgate so far, and while I don't mind them, I'd like to know what the alternatives are.

It's out now. :)

Probably partially because it features 3D characters on a 2D background.

I still want to buy this, but I'm not a fan of SecuROM... Oh, well.

Any news on what other places you'll sell this on? I've only seen it on Gamersgate so far, and while I don't mind them, I'd like to know what the alternatives are.

Skygoblin has said DRM has been removed from all places, including Gamersgate (they just haven't updated their page yet). But to answer your question, besides Gamersgate, it's available at Adventure Shop, Desura, and a whole lot of other places.

Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply earlier. The past couple of days have been HECTIC!

First off I'd like to say thanks to you guys who took your time to drop lines in this thread and give us encouragement to push on. Those asspats really make a difference, especially in the late stages of development when general project angst starts creeping in together with way too much crunching. Your positive comments matter.

So, quick answer, we would love to be on GOG or Steam or any other service you might be lusting for, problem is: Signing with those big guys is not easy, especially as a small dev with no real previous track-record and ALSO the big issue of the game being episodic..... Believe me, we are doing our best though and who knows, maybe given some time, we'll be ubiquotious. (spell?)

As for boxed version we are actually discussing this with several different potential partners right now but there has been nothing decided yet.

Anyhow we had a great launch and have gotten lots of lovin' reviews so far, if you're curious, here are a couple that may push you over the "buy now" precipice.

Adventuregamers.com 4/5

Gamezebo.com 4/5

Indie Game Magazine 87%

Thank you, once again, for the kind words.

• 1 year later...

If you're like me, you might be wondering how chapter 2 is coming along. Luckily, the Chapter 2 Work in Progress thread at Desura has just been updated with news and new screenshots. :)

They've got an internal preliminary playable-to-the-end build of the game up and running, but there's a lot of things missing yet and most of the movies are still animated storyboards. There are still some puzzles that need inside knowledge to solve, but they hope to have an internal beta version of the game ready by February that will allow the game to be completed by people who don't know the solutions to all the puzzles.

It's looking really good. I'm really looking forward to this, as the first chapter was one of my favorite adventure games of last year. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived