Home

48÷2(9+3) =

Q

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's 288. A less ambiguous way to write it would be

- (9+3)

there's a reason mathematicians avoid the '÷' symbol :)

This is exactly what I got and how I got it. I can't be 100% certain that I'm right, though. I haven't had a math class in 20 years.

Just because someone fails at math doesn't necessarily mean they fail at English too. :carms:

Exactly, just had my exams a couple of weeks ago, and i had studied math like a maniac for the last month, and just barely passed, while, without studying English at all I scored an E (which is the second best grade here) at it.

One one hand, it's been about 12 years since I've learned much new math, and 10 since having to use it regularly. So my memory could be faulty. I thought one generally prioritized multiplication over division, unless it was clearly laid out using better notation than '÷', which no one uses in serious maths work.

On the other hand:

I agree with liverandbacon. It's 2.

I consider WCH and I agreeing on something to be conclusive proof that it must be true.

I looked around to see if the question had been posed in other places. On some bodybuilding forum, the thread got to 84 pages long in 7 hours, before getting locked. 2760 people voted in the poll, and it was pretty evenly split between 2 and 288. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that a bunch of dudes who spend all day calculating body fat %, measuring out supplements, and calculating weights would get so excited about math. Still, I find the idea of some hulking monster with 23 inch biceps and 6% body fat hunched over a computer arguing about math hilarious.

Exactly, just had my exams a couple of weeks ago, and i had studied math like a maniac for the last month, and just barely passed, while, without studying English at all I scored an E (which is the second best grade here) at it.

How does one study for English, other than occasionally doing the work they're assigned during the year?

edit: no idea how this double post happened. I'm reporting it, and I hope that scoundrel liverandbacon gets the banning he deserves.

How does one study for English, other than occasionally doing the work they're assigned during the year?

Memorising poems for recital, answers to questions from the textbook, the important parts of the essays that they are likely to ask you, lists of synonyms/anyonyms/etc and spellings of difficult words, how else? :xp:

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.

Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.

Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

48/2(9+3)= 48/2*12=24*12=288

2. We don't do Math from left to right, we do it by the Order of Operations from left to right. The O of O decrees that we add the 9 and the 3 within the parenthesis, multiply the result (12) by the 2, and then do the division.

Parenthesis/Brackets

Expontents

Multiplication

Division

Addition

Subtraction

Archived