Home

Darth Names

.:Lord Revan:.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Darth Krayt and Darth Sidious. Sidious was the most powerful Sith, but Krayt was the last, so far (there may be more coming in future Legends novels). And Sidious, like many Sith, made Hitler seem like nothing, in terms of people killed:

Hitler and the Nazis: 3-4 million people over a period of 10 years

Sidious, Vader, and the 2 Death Stars: up to 1 trillion people over a period of 23 years, including those on Alderaan (or any other Death Star Target)

That's anywhere from 108,695 to 144,927 times the mortality rate, per year! Yikes! I wouldn't want them ruling ANY galaxy, not even IC 1101! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Darth Krayt and Darth Sidious. Sidious was the most powerful Sith, but Krayt was the last, so far (there may be more coming in future Legends novels). And Sidious, like many Sith, made Hitler seem like nothing, in terms of people killed:

Hitler and the Nazis: 3-4 million people over a period of 10 years

Sidious, Vader, and the 2 Death Stars: up to 1 trillion people over a period of 23 years, including those on Alderaan (or any other Death Star Target)

I'm certain the historical estimates for the number of people killed by the Nazis are a lot higher, usually considered to be 12 million murdered in the holocaust (Jew & Gentile) and something like 20 million (military personel?) killed in the fight against them in WW2. In any case, Star Wars is trying to come up with numbers for how a galaxy-spanning "World War II" would be so much worse.

IIRC in the original Dune novel series, the crusade of MuaDib's followers across the universe resulted in something like 9 billion deaths, and some characters are discussing it and comparing it to Hitler on old Earth saying he "wasn't very efficient" by comparison. If humanity was as violent on a galactic scale, we could imagine such horrors. I've heard conflicting things about the number of people who are supposed to have died in the various Star Wars related battles or super-weapon things, but I imagine it's super high (considering how the EU had a new super-weapon seemingly every week, though a lot of them never actually got a chance to be used).

It's been a long time since I looked at it, but I recall some years back fans were talking about the apparent disparity between the size and scope of the various wars from the point of view of the EU vs. what Lucas says about his own movies. It seems like many earth sized planets with many times our real life population were wiped out, according to the EU stuff, but Lucas seems to want us to believe that the Clone Wars, the biggest war in the "history" of the Star Wars Universe was just a bunch of little battles between "clones" (why they don't count, I don't understand, since he leads us to believe they're fully human persons, slaves really) and droids, plus a relatively small number of Jedi (10,000 for a whole galaxy?). So was Alderaan a planet of a trilllion people, or was it a sparesly populated planet of a few million? Did the Death Star "only" have a million crew on board, or was it bigger? People debated this stuff on and on...

Back on topic, the whole Sith history was kind of interesting, although a bit implausible as it went on (only 2 sith for a thousand years and they were always trying to kill each other???). I did prefer it back in the old days when "Darth" was just Vader's first name and not a "title" for all these guys who decided to wear black and use a red lightsaber. While goofy, at least the EU explanation of the Sith seemed like it made a little bit more sense. Lucas decided to change all that and shrink things down for the Prequels in this area like so many others. This was in keeping with his idea of telling a "small story" even though it's set in what seems like a huge universe.

• 1 month later...

He invented it, and he changed it. I can get long-winded, so please bear with me.

It's true that much of the "Expanded Universe" stuff was made up by those writers, but it's also true that a good amount of material they created was developed from notes created by Lucas himself, and let's not forget that he signed off on this stuff. Lucas himself gave us the idea, for instance that the Jedi Knights and the Old Republic lasted "over a thousand generations" then changed it to "a thousand years." He was the one who gave us the impression that the size and scope of things like the Jedi, the Empire, etc. were a lot bigger than they "turned out to be" with the Prequels. If one examines the early scripts, the early notes and novels, and the stuff Lucas put out there (or approved in promotional materials and the "early EU," here I'm thinking stuff produced before the 1990's), we see that a lot of things about the backdrop of Star Wars were changed.

Yes, it was Lucas who "shrunk" things, and it was because he changed his own story. Back in 1989 (heck, you could probably after ROTJ), he wasn't really planning to make anymore Star Wars movies. Back in 2005, he was officially "done" with Star Wars, period. And things kept changing, it happens, but let's admit it happened. And now it's Disney's playground.

Long story short, Lucas gave us a backstory for the Star Wars movies, and he handed that over to the EU writers who developed it almost from the time of the movies themselves (with the novels and comics including the novelisations of the movies themselves which were released before each film), and it was "set in stone" as far as fans were concerned until the Prequels came out and changed a lot of stuff, and has been ever since.

Archived