Home

Game of Thrones

Did anyone else watch the HBO premiere of Game of Thrones on Sunday? I am curious to get some of your opinions on the show.

I read the 4 released novels years ago and I am a huge fan of the series. I have eagerly been awaiting the TV show and I was not disappointed.

If you have read the series, what did you think of the premiere? If not, how did it work for you? Was it hard to follow?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed the UK premiere yesterday, but fortunately it's repeated tomorrow.

I haven't read any of the books, though, so I'm going into this blissfully ignorant of any differences.

There were a lot a boobs.

When I read that Lena Headey was part of the cast, I'd assumed there might be.

There were a lot a boobs. That's what I mainly remember about the premier.

One thing I was confused on:

Who was the mother of Ned's bastard son?

Even by the 4th book (4800 pages later) we still don't know for sure. Ned does not talk about her, but there are rumors about it. Ashara Dayne is who I predict it will be, if we ever find out.

I haven't read any of the books, though, so I'm going into this blissfully ignorant of any differences.

They actually stayed true to the story in the first episode, and I've heard that's the plan for the rest. There are things left out of course, as the books are just too detailed to include everything, but there wasn't anything that happened in the 1st episode that did not also occur in the book.

I've only read the short story "The Hedge Knight", but I was really impressed by the quality of Martin's writing and thus became really interested in the show since I first heard of its making. As far as the first episode goes, I am not disappointed - the plot seems interesting, the acting is very good and the overall production value seems top notch. Can't wait for the next episode.

Saw it, loved it. The whole atmosphere is pretty much as I imagined it when I read the books (oh my, the Wall!!) and I'm glad they're staying faithful to the books. The actors have left a good first impression, even the children. Of course, they have yet to be really tested, but things are looking good.

I eagerly await the next episode.

Actually, Lena Headey has yet to actually get her boobs out, unless I missed them in the last scene. No, it was mostly just hookers. A LOT of hookers.

Yeah, that was a bad assumption on my part, but it was based on most of the films I've seen her in. Her clothes just won't stay on.

Anyway, watched it last night, really liked it, and I still don't know much about the world, but I was impressed by the quality of the cast.

I watched the first ep, and enjoyed it overall. Pretty gory but the visuals weren't super well done in that department. I agree that it seems like a strong cast, with a few exceptions I think. Maybe it just seems that way because Bean can eat a scene right around you. A nice start that made me want to tune into the next episode.

I've never read the books, is there that much sex in those too? Or is it just HBO being HBO?

Well, the Dothraki rape/murder was in the books, as was Jaime and Cersei's tower 'love' scene, but Tyrion and his hookers was not in the book. However, while it is an -addition-, it's not really shocking. Tyrion partakes of whores rather often in the book.

I think those were all the sex scenes in the pilot, but I may have missed one.

Don't expect particularly -erotic- sex scenes in this, if you're hoping for them. The books always did their very best to make even the most potentially erotic sex scenes incredibly squicky and very much -not- sexy.

Don't expect particularly -erotic- sex scenes in this, if you're hoping for them. The books always did their very best to make even the most potentially erotic sex scenes incredibly squicky and very much -not- sexy.
I'm kind of hoping for the opposite actually. I like T&A as much as the next guy, I just found the frequency of it in the pilot to be a bit overkill and made it seemed like pandering.

For those of us who have read all the books, I'm sure I don't need to remind you all of the 'Pink Mast' and the 'Myrish Swamp'. *Hork, blork, hooorf*

lol very nice. While I agree most of the sex scenes in the book are not sexy, I do think some of them are. An example would be

Dany's episodes with her handmaids... Irri or Jhiqui? Can't remember which one. Maybe they weren't meant to be sexy either and I was just persuaded by the girl on girl action.

Thoughts on the second episode? Plot is starting to take shape, and there was less of the overt sexuality.

The young prince and the guy who wants to retake his thrown really seem like wimps. Not sure if the characters are supposed to be like that or if it is just the actors.

I like the scenes between Bean's character and the King. They seem to have good chemistry.

Yeah, both are pretty much wimps who act tough, from what I remember from the books. The actor playing Joffrey hasn't convinced me yet, even though he does look the part. The guy playing Viserys, however, is pretty much how I envisioned him. He's doing great. Also, I'm a bit confused with Myrcella Baratheon in this episode. From what I remember from the books, she had no feelings for Bran, but she seemed pretty happy when she heard Bran wasn't going to die.

In any case, Daenerys and the Dothraki have never interested me that much in the books, and the show doesn't change my mind. It's a pretty slow story arc, perhaps that's it. On the other side, I'm really enjoying the (few) moments between Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister, can't wait seeing them on the Wall. But I've really been enjoying the first two episodes.

Ditto. Although I have to say the kid who plays Joffrey has really sold the "wimpy spoiled brat" vibe of his character to me. Viserys on the other hand, hmm, I don't know what to think of him yet. His first appearance in the previous episode had me thinking he's a total wimp, but all his subsequent appearances simply make me think he's a really disgusting bastard. Tyrion Lannister is awesome, by the way. Again, I haven't read any of the books (only the one short story that takes place long before the books), so I have no idea how faithful the plot or the characters are, but the show definitely is very interesting.

Interesting.

I'll definitely be checking this out when it becomes available on Netflix streaming.

^This.

Just seeing the ads for it, I hadn't been too interested. But this thread, and what this thread has prompted me to read, has changed that. Pity I don't get HBO, and watch far too little TV to justify paying the extra $$$ for a channel lineup with it.

I really liked the 2nd episode as well, but I did notice a few differences from the book this time. I didn't notice any in the first episode. Nothing that was changed really took away from the story so I wasn't offended by it.

Joffrey is a wimp, but from the books I gathered Viserys was more of a spoiled, temperamental brat than a wimp. He's vicious and feels entitled, but I don't feel like wimp is the right word for him. Both are despicable characters.

Archived