Home

Game of Thrones

I recently bought season 1 and 2 on DVD. I really enjoyed the show, loved look and feel and just the quality put into this. Looking forward to what goes on in season 3. I've been eyeing the books; but have so far resisted to purchase them.

I want to watch the TV series first and then delve into the books. Like that I'll enjoy both much more ^_^

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I agree, Quanon. Having read all the books (out so far) and following the series religiously, I find that the books were better, more engaging experiences. That said, the series isn't bad at all but it does spoils many of the surprises masterfully delivered on the books.

So while I don't know if watching the series first is the best option, I found great pleasure in reading the books and then watching how they'd do particular scenes on the series (and if they'd actually do those things on the TV, since some parts are seem too gruesome for TV audience).

On the ninth episode - having read the books, what happened didn't come as a surprise at all. I guess the only surprise was that it happened in the ninth episode. I kind of thought they'd save it for the big season cliffhanger.

On account of books vs. the TV series - I find that the source material is always better than the adaptation. That said, this has mostly been a good adaptation of the books, although I don't quite understand the need for certain "artistic liberties" the show writers took, especially in this season, or the need to replace characters from the books with placeholders. It was bad enough they replaced Jeyne Westerling with Volantis-girl, but to replace a hilariously entertaining villain like Vargo Hoat with some random guy named Locke is something I just can't understand.

I loved Episode 9, but hated it all at the same time as the final scenes played out (though not quite as I'd imagined it in my head). But I'm a little upset they didn't bring the Greatjon back for his defiant last stand.

But I'm a little upset they didn't bring the Greatjon back for his defiant last stand.
It seems they couldn't get him back for season 2, so I'm guessing they decided to leave him out of season 3 as well?

As for the books vs. TV discussion: I'm glad the TV series did some things differently. The main task is still to create great television, not copy-past the books. And some scenes that weren't in the books were some of the best in the show and some stuff that was abandoned for the TV show made the whole thing better. That being said, I slightly prefer the books still, because the scope is massive and because of its ambition, the books are able to do things a TV show just can't do.

I'm not sure I agree, Quanon. Having read all the books (out so far) and following the series religiously, I find that the books were better, more engaging experiences. That said, the series isn't bad at all but it does spoils many of the surprises masterfully delivered on the books.

Fair point, hadn't looked at it that way. But I figured that I would certainly enjoy the ton of extra details in the books. Like say extra characters and events would add a certain "bonus' material feel to the reading experience.

As often when you first read a good series of books and then view a movie or TV show about them, you sort of always look for what's left out or done differantly.

I might get the books before season 3 gets out on DVD and season for gets aired. But I'm now still investing a lot of reading time in my Warhammer pulp novels :lol:

But was looking forward to something a bit more serious.

So while I don't know if watching the series first is the best option, I found great pleasure in reading the books and then watching how they'd do particular scenes on the series (and if they'd actually do those things on the TV, since some parts are seem too gruesome for TV audience).

Well so far the TV show didn't seem to be shy on the violance, things didn't always get shown as is, but the suggestion and motives certainly get across.

Archived