Home

3rd Old Republic Novel Announced!

adamqd

Our old Friend Drew karpyshyn, who wrote the scenario and much of the dialog for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and was one of the lead writers and planners on Jade Empire, as well as working on several games in the Baldur's Gate series, and lets not forget Mass Effect.

But back to Star Wars, the writer of the Popular Darth Bane series, is back with a monster of a subject in the new Novel named Revan... And who better the pen it, than KotOR Creator Drew Karpyshyn.

Click Please

So they've grown some balls and decided to actually tell us a story about Revan. I didn't think they had it in them.

I'm with TKA on this one... very surprised they chose to do this given the nature of Revan's fans. The devoted following will have very high expectations and I'm sure there will be much groaning when Revan doesn't turn out exactly how his fierce fan following (alliteration?) wants him to be.

Either way I'm very excited for this - Karpyshyn is a talented author IMO. I really enjoyed the Bane trilogy (probably my favorite SW EU novels). There was some interesting Q&A with Karpyshyn - one I found particularly interesting:

I don't want to give too much away, but Canderous, T3-M4, the Exile and Bastila Shan all have significant roles to play in the novel (along with some significant characters who appear in Star Wars: The Old Republic).

(Emphasis mine)

TSL fans will get some closure too, apparently.

I just hope that if Revan dies in the book, that they give him an epic death of some sorts and not something stupid.

Q.) Do you think that Revan's face could be revealed on the book cover?

In a way I want to have an official face, but then again I still like the mystery.

The devoted following will have very high expectations and I'm sure there will be much groaning when Revan doesn't turn out exactly how his fierce fan following (alliteration?) wants him to be.
Which is what? Everyone has a different Revan!

I hope this ends some of the bitching about K3, but I doubt it...

He will be Light-side Male, or at least Light-side during the events of the Battle of the Star Forge in 3,956 BBY... I assume most personal details will be left murky, and maybe even the narrative will be from the POV of his companions to further avoid messing with your KotOR play through.

Who says that they are going to stick with keeping Revan a mystery for the sake of the game and player choice? If they want to give Revan a name, background and a face to go with it then they will do so. And just because they decide to "ruin" the game play for KotOR doesn't mean that players still can't have and make their own choices.

Who says that they are going to stick with keeping Revan a mystery for the sake of the game and player choice?

Obviously this wouldn't have worked for a book with Revan as the main character, so I decided to focus on certain universally established elements from the KOTOR games while also reinforcing previously established canon from the greater Star Wars universe, such as Revan being male and choosing the light side/redemption ending of the game.

I hope your right RJ, I would prefer they fully flesh out a character, Looks, accen, the lot... It would make him less of a Gary Stu IMO, give him some faults, separate him from the perceived ownership fans can have. (And this is coming from a KotOR Freak/fan/stalker)

I predict that no matter how well the story is fleshed out and how great a death they give Revan, there will be much whining...

My only gripe with the update is that they chose to give us a book advert for a book that's not even out yet instead of a game update on the game that's not out yet. I think many people(myself included) are tired of waiting for the game and want to play it. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to wait for a finished game rather than a rushed slapped together game that's broken... I think I would rather have had a new timeline, or even more concept art to help out the game wait... But we got a publicist's advertisement for the book we can't buy for months... If it was tossed out on a random day rather than in place of the Friday Update, or even in conjunction with a Friday update, many would have considered it a bonus. This one felt like half an update...

Which is what? Everyone has a different Revan!

Exactly.

I assume most personal details will be left murky, and maybe even the narrative will be from the POV of his companions to further avoid messing with your KotOR play through.

We called the book Revan because this is his story; he is the main character, and readers are going to see much of this book through his point of view. There are other characters, of course - some old and some new - but Revan is the primary protagonist.

Emphasis mine.

I'm half-expecting to see his character get ruined further. As for respecting your playthroughs, well, heck, every KOTOR II playthrough is apparently non-canon no matter what you do...

That said, I do hope they keep the events of KOTOR rather bare, touching on the canon events only, still giving you some breathing room when it comes to trying to insert your Revan for that section of the story.

You guys give Karpyshyn too much importance. Think of it like fanfiction, which is pretty much what he'll be writing, except it will have an official stamp on it. We've seen a bazillion Revans in the CEC, each with their different quirks and ideas.

Remember folks, suspension of disbelief is optional.

You guys give Karpyshyn too much importance. Think of it like fanfiction, which is pretty much what he'll be writing, except it will have an official stamp on it. We've seen a bazillion Revans in the CEC, each with their different quirks and ideas.

Remember folks, suspension of disbelief is optional.

At least fan-fiction is free ;)

But yeah, you do make a point - there are so many stories out there, if you don't like one, go choose another. Of course, it's the whole "official" thing that starts to make things tricky. But then again, we're even having that problem with official content, since it has so many retcons. Don't like the revised version, keep the original!

The book is geared as a way to wrap up and expose what Revan did during the time between kotor1 and kotor2 and then show the reader how Revan and Exile meet up and set a tone for what will happen in TOR.

This will not cover all topics and is only 1/4 of the possible paths of Revan after kotor1 because it only covers the male Revan returns to the light side at the end of kotor1, which is the cannon. This book will not tell player hey this is how it would of happen if say Revan was dark side at the end of kotor1. I do believe that the Revan of DS and LS endings in kotor1 are close to same psychology, in a sense reborn, there would be different events that would happen even if in both situations Revan would go off to the Unknown regions.

The book will touch on the big events but the small Revan and old party member interactions/bonds will only satisfy the Revan male LS and some Revan female Ls, except the love story with Carth.

This leads into the question why a book and not a game, even if it was a small Revan cell phone game,xboxlive, etc style. The answer is two, one is that the story in book is to help support the new TOR mmo and its a back story since some of the events will show up in the mmo, Exile, Revan, HK,..and maybe others in name ,lore or holograms. The second answer is since its a book its not forced on the player so they can simply not read it and see Revan as they wish and still enjoy TOR for it's own story. If it was a game then the player's will be forced to see that either they must accept cannon in a very direct way or bring up a sore topic which there is no way to solve in the TOR game, allowing all possibles to be taken in with out breaking the bank.

Koto1/2 are games meant to play and discover the way we want as the Exile or Revan. TOR is another beast and a different type of game.

We should simply take the TOR mmo and the book as what it is some good entertainment. The book can give us more info and stories on one result of kotor Revan and the TOR is a bit of a soft Reboot.

I for one am looking forward to reading the book, it would be interesting to see what possibly happen.

Logan

Archived