Home

SWTOR Predicted To Have Over 1M Subscribers in First Year

News

According to Janco analyst Mike Hickey, as reported by Gamasutra, Star Wars: The Old Republic is looking to gain over 1 million subscribers within the first year of the game’s launch. Earlier this year when discussing the game’s profitability, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that the game would be profitable with over 500,000 subscribers, and [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

you know, if they don't release this game sooner or later, people are going to give up and move on, and they won't make these amazing sales. I've already heard a lot of people saying "oh, they'll never release it, it'll never be done, etc." people would rather have the game sooner with minor bugs that will be fixed over time than not have it at all. The more they wait to work out the kinks, the more people move on to Rift, or Galaxies, or LoTRO, or WoW, or Champions Online. The MMORPG game list goes on, and they need to get on that list.

well i'm certainly not saying they should release it NOW. i'm just thinking that waiting too long (January 2012) is too long. a september launch, possibly even august would be good, but depending on how Rift does, they've got more competition out on the market, and that can also be a good way to fail, especially when WoW has been monopolizing the MMORPG market pretty well for God knows how long.

Hm, i guess i didn't mention it. well, i wasn't going for an extensive list, just some examples, but i guess that's wierd i didn't mention it. i don't think it's doing well, though.

I dunno if it'll be successful or not. I'd like to think so, but honestly who knows. As to the polish, I can agree with that. A buggy half finished game will drive people away pretty quick. We've seen it too many times to really count. A game gets built. It has something that WoW doesn't, and all the elements WoW does have. The publisher pushes it out before it's ready. People get a buggy game... get mad... quit and tell their friends not to bother. Game dies...

Of course the real problem is that while star wars is pretty dang popular, the pure fantasy market is even larger. While I personally cannot stand "swords and boards" as a game, there's a definite draw for many. Then there's how easy WoW is. Sure the high end content might be tough, but lets face it WoW is a darned easy game. You can be half monkey and still play WoW. Then of course, there is the advertising... They have put a LOT of advertising dollars behind WoW. In order to compete, they'll have to have Samuel L come out and advertise how he'll be in the game, and TOR will have to advertise using celebs as well.

I haven't really gotten a look at the gameplay, so i suppose i can't make a judgment as to how buggy or non-buggy it is. I suppose if it's really as buggy as you guys say so that the gameplay is affected, rather than minor cosmetic flaws as i'm thinking, then it probably is best to hold off releasing it at least for a little while.

I absolutely agree that popularity and advertising are huge. WoW has gotten Ozzy and Mr. T on TV to advertise their stuff, and i think TOR would be smart to do the same. I haven't actually played WoW because i don't really find the appeal to it. however, even i have to realize how hugely successful and popular it is, and TOR would do well to get some major advertising going.

As for TOR being at a disadvantage automatically because it's a SW game and not a pure fantasy game, i'm not sure that'll play into it. a lot of people who like pure fantasy games won't be turned away because it's a star wars game, because it's still an RPG fantasy game, it's just themed a little differently.

On gameplay difficulty i can't say i've played a wide range of MMORPG's, although i have played a fair amount of RPGs, and the ones i've played have challenged me equally, just at different times and at different amounts. Also, certain RPGs are more combat oriented (see Champions Online or Mass Effect 2), while other games are more based on storyline (see KOTOR I & II). I'm not positive, but from what i've heard, WoW is more based on storyline, which could lower the difficulty of progressing through the game, although to be fair, Champions Online is combat oriented and is at times terribly easy.

Who on earth is saying this nonsense?

People who like to joke about Duke Nukem Forev... oh wait.

I mean, people who think that video game developers aren't companies, but charities that service us and have no desire for any kind of profit margin like those usual capitalist dog corporations usually would.

trust me, look around, you'll find it. the skeptics as to the game being released are there. their reasoning is that eventually they'll have spent so much time an money without success that they'll just give up. i in no way affiliate with them, nor do i think they're very intelligent, since the fact that they've put in so much time and money to date is proof that it WILL be released. i'm merely showing as many opinions as i'm aware of.

As for chilling out and playing other games while i wait, what do you think i've been doing? in the past two weeks, i've bought The Witcher, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, and bought gold status on Champions Online. I'll get by :)

I haven't really gotten a look at the gameplay, so i suppose i can't make a judgment as to how buggy or non-buggy it is. I suppose if it's really as buggy as you guys say so that the gameplay is affected, rather than minor cosmetic flaws as i'm thinking, then it probably is best to hold off releasing it at least for a little while.

They just had a dev blog where they explained that a lot of beta players were dieing too early. Being unable to complete quests, and missions because the difficulty was too high for the level.

As for TOR being at a disadvantage automatically because it's a SW game and not a pure fantasy game, i'm not sure that'll play into it. a lot of people who like pure fantasy games won't be turned away because it's a star wars game, because it's still an RPG fantasy game, it's just themed a little differently.

That may be true, but fantasy has a head start over a niche market. So while it may be a popular game, I highly doubt it will pass WoW in popularity.

On gameplay difficulty i can't say i've played a wide range of MMORPG's, although i have played a fair amount of RPGs, and the ones i've played have challenged me equally, just at different times and at different amounts. Also, certain RPGs are more combat oriented (see Champions Online or Mass Effect 2), while other games are more based on storyline (see KOTOR I & II). I'm not positive, but from what i've heard, WoW is more based on storyline, which could lower the difficulty of progressing through the game, although to be fair, Champions Online is combat oriented and is at times terribly easy.

I was comparing it to the games I played before. Everquest and SWG were LEAPS AND BOUNDS more difficult to play at the time WoW came out. Of course the MMO market was much smaller...

That may be true, but fantasy has a head start over a niche market. So while it may be a popular game, I highly doubt it will pass WoW in popularity.

I really wouldn't think that Star Wars is more of a niche market than fantasy, especially fantasy that is an offshoot of a manageable strategy game series.

Oh, well that makes more sense, Tommycat. that's a gameplay error, so it probably is best to hold off. i was under the assumption that the main glitches were those of cosmetics (i.e. that rock isn't actually there, you can walk through walls) i suppose if it majorly affects the game...yea, ok.

as for it passing WoW...they've got a long uphill battle ahead of them. WoW is pretty well installed into the market.I think they'd have a hard time, but if it really is better, then i suppose its possible.

I never played Everquest, but i did play SWG, and i thought it was indeed pretty hard, but i didn't view it differently than any other pure fantasy RPG, i mean it's an MMORPG. i suppose not everyone feels that way though, that's just me.

Archived