Home

Lucas Arts Licenses Unreal 3 Engine

TripHammer

The most promising news I've heard so far for Battlefront 3. Lucas Arts has licensed the Unreal 3 engine. There's actually a number of stories about it:

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=lucas+arts+licenses+unreal+3+engine

And if you're interested in a pretty good theory... listen to this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBpIRXB4aE

I know it's not confirmation of SWBF3.... but it ranks up there for something beyond the speculation.

This does sound promising. It could also be just as strong an indicator for a Republic Commando sequel.

Really liked that video you linked to. I've been staring at bits and pieces of rumors for years, but never seen them all together at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBpIRXB4aE

I know it's not confirmation of SWBF3.... but it ranks up there for something beyond the speculation.

I thought it was being made, but didn't know by whom. Thanks for the video, by the way. One thing I was surprised to "learn" was that LucasArts was that dependable of The Old Republic. I mean, bankruptcy if the game is not sucessful? Really?

Just found this on the bf 3 forums.

Now I've been speculating and trying to put all the pieces together for a long, long time. I just havn't been able to crack the code, but then it finally hit me like a ton of Vibroswords! My theory is what if Spark Unlimited's unannounced game AND Rebellion's unannouced game is Battlefront III? Now I think I know how this could be. Spark Unlimited could be developing Star Wars: Battlefront III for the PS3, Xbox 360, and the PC, while Rebellion developes the handheld version of the game. So to me, through all the evidence I have found, this makes sense and gives me even more hope!

Just to throw something else into the mix :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

E3 2011 is almost done and the only thing showcased was the stupid Star Wars The Old Republic video game for X-Box 360 and Star Wars Kinect for X-box 360. Lucasarts has something against PS3. I dislike online only video games. I am not a fan of using motion control devices. Where is the Star Wars Battlefront III and Star Wars The Force Unleashed III for PS3? I want a PS3 Star Wars video game that is set right before episode IV or during original trilogy period. No online only games!

Whatever system it is, PC only video game and online only! I have a PS3 and no internet connection so there are no future star wars video games coming out for me. With our luck we will have Lego Star Wars Clone Wars 2 and another Star Wars Clone Wars video game based on the 3-D animated tv series. Those games were so bad! It looked like they were made for kids under the age of 10.

What other storylines could star wars or Indiana Jones do. They have done the 6 movies of star wars and 4 indiana jones in lego style. They have done the clone wars lego style. The other thing that is left is more clone wars from content from 3-D clone wars tv series.

No other star wars games mentioned at E3. Just Star Wars The Old Republic for PC and Star Wars Kinect for X-box 360. Heck, they don't even have a Indiana Jones video game in development.

I want a Star Wars Battlefront 3 for PS3. No online game only!

• 1 month later...

Just saw the press release on July 20, 2011 on Spark Unlimited website. Here is a link to one of thoe jobs available for a new high profile 3rd person action/adventure game. It says on the job desscription high profile sci-fiction/ fantasy series and they need people who are familiar with unreal engine which ties in nciely with this spring's lucasarts press release of using unreal engine on next star wars video games.

It is either Star Wars Battlefront 3 or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3 in my opinion.

Let's hope Star Wars Battlefront 3 is it!!! Please Lucasarts release a Battlefront 3 for PS3!

http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_position_artFX.html

That sounds like a potential Battlefront sequel to me. I don't see why they would make TFU3 on the Unreal engine considering the current engine used is one of the big draws to the game. It would make more sense for it to be BF3.

I'm pretty sure Pandemic owned the rights to the engine used for the first two games, and everything that was used in the third one that never came will never be seen. Using a proven engine like Unreal makes perfect sense to me. Keep your fingers crossed!

Is republic commando a first person shooter game! I never was good at the whole concept of what is a 3rd person shooter verus first person. I assume Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 were 3rd person shooter video games. It is probably the main reason why I never bought a x-box due to republic commando being first person. I watch the trailer for it and thought it looked different. I hope it isn't a republic commando video game! That means PC and X-box 360 would get another exclusive video game and PS3 star wars fans get what? Another Lego star wars game or another clone wars video game based off the tv series! No more clone wars video games based off the tv series!!

I want Star Wars Battlefront III

P.S. I heard last year that at one point the battlefront III was going to be online only game. God help us if that is the case! I only play single player.

Is republic commando a first person shooter game! I never was good at the whole concept of what is a 3rd person shooter verus first person. I assume Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 were 3rd person shooter video games.

Yes, Republic Commando is a first person shooter.

Difference: FPS is behind the eyes of the character, often seeing only the arms and gun. Sometimes you'll see the helmet, such as RC and Metroid.

TPS is over the shoulder, so to speak. You typically have an elevated rear view.

SWBF1 and 2 are both third person and first person; you can change it to fit your preference.

I thought I saw an option in the main menu of both battlefronts. I tried first person shooter I disliked it. I want to see all of my body in the video screen. Reminds me of Quake and Quake II. Those were addictive games when playing in high school. My friends only got me into it because I loved the Medal of Honor video games on PS1. Plus we found common ground in those games. I could not standing playing racing games like Grand Tursimo and Need for Speed series at least on PS1 and PS2. I am action/adventure and fighting video gamer only. I take that back! I loved Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and it's expansion pack. The only PC video game I ever played.

Archived