Home

Single versus Double saber DPS

Tommycat

I didn't see it yet, but I know it's on people's minds.

Bioware has made it out that for doing DPS you're going to be using the double saber style and for tanking you're using one saber. I however think it's a bit backwards. See while yes, a saber in the hands of a jedi is a damage dealer, it is also the jedi's defense. It would make more sense to me that the dual saber set up would be better suited to defense than damage. See with one saber you are limited in where you can defend against a single attack. Where with two savers you can defend against two simultaneous attacks. It would make sense even as a crowd control aspect. Or an AOE attacker.

What are your thoughts

I don't think single, double or staff sabers should be role-specific. I basically want it to be like KotOR where there are advantages and disadvantages to using each.

Personally I want to use a single saber for basically any Jedi/Sith class I play. The way it sounds right now, you are not forced to use a certain kind of saber, but you won't be very good if you aren't using the one/s that is meant for that class (double sabers for Jedi Sentinel for example). I think this should be changed so depending on what talents you choose you can be effective with any kind of saber.

Well, it seems to match their KotOR description of double sabers that say they are more used by aggressive Jedi and predominantly Sith. I suppose it's just messy to try and defend with a double-edged saber.

And I agree with Jeff: they could adjust the benefits and downsides of using different kinds of sabers in a way it won't "force" (meaning that if your character is more efficient with a particular weapon you're likely going to stick with it) you to use a specific kind.

• 4 weeks later...

In truth Tommycat from a historic point of view a person using a single handed weapon such as a Longsword or Bastard Sword without a shield actually used it less aggressively and more defensively. Meanwhile when using 2 swords or a large double ended weapon as would be conceived in a double bladed sword those styles of fighting were much more aggressive.

Your standard 2 weapon fighting was not a defensive fighting technique your intent was to do harm to your opponent or multiple opponents at one time and the typical fighter he wielded 2 weapons generally charged into battle both arms swinging wildly in an up and down chopping motion moving quickly with his slices and generally overpowered his opponents.

As compared to your single weapon style of a single blade most typically found with Bastard sword but also longer Long Swords. There are specific styles of combat for using these weapons they easily enough the High guard and the Low guard. The High Guard you held your sword high usually at chest height or inverted at a downward angle over your head. Low guard you held it defensively from your waist. Both were typically used depending on your opponent and what his stance was to best defend and counter your opponent.

I'm going to curse myself but I'm going to point to the Death Knight Class in World of Warcraft. This class has the ability to tank in fact is the only plate wearing class that cannot use a shield which makes it a good example. Now in WOW for many reasons you don't duel wield to tank you use a 2-hander there are mechanics as to why such as having reduced chances to block with the 2nd weapon unless you have an exceptionally high hit, also better stat bonuses overall in the two-handed weapons.

While I use the example of from WOW above it is not the only example of games and game systems where duel wielding weapons for defensive purposes is considered either a waste in the long run or a bad idea. Usually you have to put more effort and training into the ability and sacrifice other abilities in the long run that are much more advantageous.

Were I playing (which I'm still in the gray area about) I'd like to be able to switch between 2 saber, single saber, and double bladed. Period. I doubt if they will give very much emphasis on the lightsaber forms aside these varints and I suppose that's fine, but I would want to be capable of utilizing each variant without severe penalties because switching around is a matter of pragmatism. Different situation requires different armament.

IRL it depends on the sword or swords you are using and the opponents you're facing. Darkkender is pretty much right, though, 2 blades or double ended weapons typically were more aggressive. But it depends what style you're using and what style your enemy is using. Larger blades I can say this is so.

In sabre & rapier fencing, though, 2 blades increases both your defense as well as your offense since you constantly have to switch between defense and offense anyways.

Miyamoto Musashi developed the 2 blade style of katana combat. He believed that while there were some maneuvers that required 2 hands to execute, you [otherwise] should not need to use 2 hands. Offensive and defensive. Obviously every weapon has its attributes, pros, and cons.

I don't know the mechanics of how games will be but I think the way it has been like in KOTOR 1 & 2 worked well enough: 2 blades increased both offense and defense (in some respects more than others), but it might perhaps leave you weak on the front of vs. force powers.

Archived