Home

Issues using the DLGEditor v2.3.2

Hi! I'm in a bit of a fix, and I'm sure it's just a small thing I'm overlooking, but, after a good week of fooling with it, I haven't figured out what's I'm doing wrong sooo... a little help would be appreciated.

What I'm trying to do: I'm looking to extract the script from KOTOR and TSL, in the most readable fashion possible, and from what I've read, this is the tool I need to be using to do so.

What's wrong: (bear with me as I try to describe this) While I'm able to use the "change TLK file paths" setting to locate the correct paths to find the dialog files initially, when I go to open them, I can't find them. Has anyone had this problem?

I'll gladly add a screen shot if that's necessary for clarification. Thank you in advance for looking at my problem!

Haha, I can't believe someone else made the very same mistake I made. The DLGEditor is used to edit the dialog files. You can find both dialog files and source (also compiled) scripts with KotoR Tool which you can download here:

http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/download.php?kotor_tool_setup.exe

Open KotoR tool, it will ask you to locate the games directories, do so. Then you will be able to find the scripts under BIFs>Scripts and the dialog files can be found throughout the RIMs section.

Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Thank you so much for your reply, JebusJM! I'm fussing with the 'tool now... and while I've successfully extracted the necessary files (I think... >_>) I'm not sure what to do with them. Could you maybe walk me through the process of getting a readable script out of this? Either in this or a PM?

If it's a certain script you're after, then you open up the Sourced script with KotoR tool (or extract it and open it up with notepad). You'll find the contents of the script in there. Alternatively, if you just want the already compiled script, extract the Compiled one you want. Now open up your chosen dialog file with the DLGEditor and click on any any entry you want (mainly the one you want to fire the script). You will find a few boxes on the bottom, one says "Script that fires when spoken" and add the name of your Compiled script (without the extension!). Now press File>Save and then drag the dialog file and the script into your Override folder in your KotoR directory.

From what I gathered, that was what you were after. Now I know that it's a really big headache when it comes to modding, but if I got your problem wrong, try and explain what you want to happen and I will guide you through it best I can. Also, you can try posting your particular problem in the modding section, Holowan Laboratories: http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324

Good luck!

I think I've got a rough handle on it... though, it looks like it'll be quite a while before I have this in anything resembling a read-through script. I might be better off using it hand-in-hand with the game, writing as I play after all... but, we'll see. In any case, thank you again for clearing things up for me!

Archived