Home

Aliens: Colonial Marines

• 8 months later...

Wow, so this thing is a complete and utter train wreck judging by all the reviews. Good thing I never pre-ordered it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/aliens-colonial-marines/critic-reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/aliens-colonial-marines/critic-reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/aliens-colonial-marines/critic-reviews

You know you are in serious trouble when the likes of IGN are giving you 4.5/10.

Interesting comparison between the demo footage showed off like 18 months ago (? I think that's it in a post of mine above from Oct 2011) and the shipped PC version of the game:

[youtube=hd]6lGXDM3LGnk

A common consensus seems to be that the game blew the console memory budget (specifically the PS3 version, judging by a supposed Gearbox employee's post on Reddit) and so in the final hash together Gearbox did over the last few months to shove something out the door, they scaled the whole game back (including the PC version) to get it functional enough to pass console certification.

So it's the dreaded "duh, consoles aren't powerful enough" excuse crappy developers use often when trying to justify their games suckiness... come on, Gearbox. I love Borderlands but don't give me that.

There are plenty of games released on consoles that are way more ambitious that manage to pull it off perfectly compared to Colonial Marines. Just look at Dead Space 3 as the most recent example.

If you made sucky code that chugged on consoles, that's your fault for being totally ineffcient with your coding and design, don't blame it on the hardware.

So the half-assed it because current consoles supposedly couldn't handle it? Bullcrap. And even if that weren't bullcrap, wouldn't the smart thing to do be wait until next gen or make it PC exclusive?

No, this has nothing to do with console capabilities. [At least, Gearbox has made no idiotic comments in that direction]. The game presented in the demo looks easily attainable in current-gen. The unfortunate news is that this game just was half-assed through and through.

This Reddit post by a supposed Gearbox member seems to imply that Gearbox bit off more than they could chew and ended up focusing on Borderlands 2 and Duke Nukem Forever. (Keep in mind we have no way to verify this guy is legit)

Gearbox didn't really do much on Duke Nukem Forever since it was the ex-3D Realms folks who did most of the work "finishing" their game. Gearbox just gave the funding and opportunity for it to happen.

I can see Borderlands 2 taking up all of their time though, they're not a bad developer but they obviously don't seem to know how to manage making more than one game at a time.

wouldn't the smart thing to do be wait until next gen or make it PC exclusive?
The game had been in development for 6 years and already delayed at least twice. Sega was threatening legal action for breach of contract, so Gearbox triaged it into something apparently sufficient to pass certification by Sony and MS (which, given the bug reports and general poor quality, shows you the worth of the certification process).

• 9 months later...

So yeah, I bought the game on a whim because it was 50% off on Steam a couple of days ago... have to say It's not as bad as I thought.

Sure, the AI is crummy and the animation of the Xeno's is off most of the time (the blind ones especially look ridiculous as ****), but I guess It's my nostalgia goggles and the atmosphere which rectify some of those issues for me. I've yet to try out the multiplayer though since I thought I'd finish of the campaign first.

Archived