Home

Stanley Cup Finals: Boston Bruins vs Vancouver Canucks

Who do you think will win the series?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the series?

• Boston Bruins in 4
    • Boston Bruins in 5
    • Boston Bruins in 6
    • Boston Bruins in 7
    • Vancouver Canucks in 4
    • Vancouver Canucks in 5
    • Vancouver Canucks in 6
    • Vancouver Canucks in 7
    • Yoda on Ice

Are you sure you're not confusing rioting with celebrating? Because that's what normally happens when your team wins. At least, in Europe it is. Oh sure, there were riots when Barcelona won the Champions League, but I'm attributing that to the Spanish temperament. ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure you're not confusing rioting with celebrating?
Fail to see why Vancouver would celebrate lossing the Stanley Cup.

vancouver-riots-T3605B4-x-large.jpg

riot27.jpg?w=940&h=627

police-beating-a-rioter.jpg

If that is celebrating, then those Canucks have a very different definition of celebration than they do down here in Texas.

No, I was just surprised that you guys think it's normal that rioting happens when your team wins, not when it loses. I'd think rioting in a lot of cases is the result of bad losers who need some distraction by destroying things. That's why I don't think it's weird for riots to happen in Vancouver when they lost. Although I did expect more civility from Canadians. :)

I don't think it is normal that rioting happen when a team wins or loses. I find it stupid. One of the few times I was really proud to live near Houston was when they won back to back NBA Championships. We celebrated, but without the property damage. Drinking, honking horns and flashing boobs are way better than broken windows and burning cars.

Although I did expect more civility from Canadians. :)

Vancouver is only sometimes in Canada. o_Q

And for the record, we also rioted when we lost in 1994 (not that I was there, I was only 3 at the time).

An interesting rumour that made the news last night was that there were reportedly members of the Black Bloq in the crowd, who are semiprofessional vandals and rioters who travel across the country to break stuff at events. They also showed up at last year's Olympics (where it was just them alone and the VPD contained them fairly easily) and, IIRC, the G20 summit in Toronto.

Vancouver, BC is in Canada - but it is not representative of the country as a whole (that would be like if the Miami fans burned down Miami after Dallas owned them and people said 'I'd expect more civility from Americans' (although you might not...but, oh well))

I for one want to give a heartfelt congratulations to the Canucks - you won the regular season (though I expect that is quite hollow atm) but the injuries took you down. Really, though - congratulations. This was an Epic Stanley Cup Finals; it had it all. blowouts, shutouts, everything. I knew basically from game 1 that it was going 7. The Bruins were just as good as your Canucks, but in different ways.

6a0115709f071f970b0154330b2576970c-pi

In closing,

Go Red Sox

~DC

An interesting rumour that made the news last night was that there were reportedly members of the Black Bloq in the crowd, who are semiprofessional vandals and rioters who travel across the country to break stuff at events. They also showed up at last year's Olympics (where it was just them alone and the VPD contained them fairly easily) and, IIRC, the G20 summit in Toronto.

They were not alone this time: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/gary_mason/busting-myths-of-vancouvers-destructive-stanley-cup-riot/article2063729/ . It was a small percentage of the total crowd, but it was unjustifiable.

Vancouver, BC is in Canada - but it is not representative of the country as a whole (that would be like if the Miami fans burned down Miami after Dallas owned them and people said 'I'd expect more civility from Americans' (although you might not...but, oh well))

Neither it is representative of Vancouverites in general but sadly, when it comes to hockey, some people seem to lose their minds completely: there were other riots in the past in Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal after Stanley Cup finals or Stanley Cup division finals. (It didn't happen in Toronto but the Maple Leafs suck...however, if they'd get there I am sure that the situation would be the same).

It's utterly stupid (the riots, not that the Maple Leafs suck). There is no point in vandalizing stores, burning cars and breaking everything else around.

Relax, 'twas meant as a joke. Canadians are cool, yo.

The Vancouver riot was almost a carbon copy of the riot in Vancouver after the '94 SCFs. (although I expect that riot didn't feature a couple...*ahem* enjoying the moment shall we say?)

EDIT - Also: I didn't mean to imply i was taking offense to your joke about Canadians. I am Irish American, born and raised here. Plus, Canadians aren't my favorite people (they're either too nice or too crazy)

A final (albeit slightly off-topic) note

PS: Now the New England Revolution are the team with the longest drought in the scope of Boston/New England Sports teams, having never won the MLS League Championship.

Pats - 2001, 2003, 2004 (won the Super Bowls held in '02, '04, '05)

Sox - 2004, 2007

Celtics - 2007-08 ('08 finals)

Bruins - 2010-11 ('11 finals)

total: 7 titles in 10 years

feels good to be a Bostonian right about now

Archived