Home

'Return' Cinematic Trailer Unveiled

News

Watched it...Loved it! Although it looks too "clone warsy" for thousands of years before...

That entire hangar sequence reminded me of the Escape from the Death Star. Just replace the Jedi Darth Maul with Obi-Wan, Cad Bane wannabe with Han Solo, T7 with R2, Satele with Luke, and take away the roids that scene was given, and there you go.

This felt more like some kind of Star Wars parody to me. Also, that Jedi exclaiming "the Sith Empire has returned!" was kind of stupid. As the audience, we know it's the Sith getting out of hiding, I mean, that's practically Darth Vader's star destroyer coming out of hyperspace there, but how would that Jedi figure it out just like that?

Not as good as the other two, but I must say that the action was great.

That was pretty good, except that I am increasingly disturbed by how similar they are making it look to the movie era. Shouldn't it have more in common with the KOTOR era? The troopers looks way too much like clone troopers, and the star destroyers and droideka-type things are almost identical to their movie counterparts.

And the music is one hundred percent inappropriate for this era. I mean, "The Imperial March" and "Duel of the Fates"? Really? KOTOR had its own completely original soundtrack, and there's a good reason for that. Hell, even the creators of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast refused to use any music from the prequel era because the felt it didn't fit with the era the game was set in. And that's only between the two movie trilogies!

I hope we at least will not hear this music in the game. Can't do much about the visuals, but at least offering us an original soundtrack would help alleviate some of this movie ripoff stuff.

I liked how Malgus' master was of the Sith species, though. That was cool. And the cowboy guy was pretty great as well.

That was pretty good, except that I am increasingly disturbed by how similar they are making it look to the movie era. Shouldn't it have more in common with the KOTOR era? The troopers looks way too much like clone troopers, and the star destroyers and droideka-type things are almost identical to their movie counterparts.

I agree - I could have shown someone who knew little about SW some CW content and then shown them that and they would have thought it was a progression of the CW. Couple that with the musical cues that you mentioned, and it can easily reinforce the notion.

And the music is one hundred percent inappropriate for this era. I mean, "The Imperial March" and "Duel of the Fates"? Really? KOTOR had its own completely original soundtrack, and there's a good reason for that. Hell, even the creators of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast refused to use any music from the prequel era because the felt it didn't fit with the era the game was set in. And that's only between the two movie trilogies!

Yep, I almost facepalmed when that Star Destroyer made its appearance with the cue from the Imperial March -- I thought I was going to see Darth Vader lead a force against the Rebel Alliance for a split second.

I liked how Malgus' master was of the Sith species, though. That was cool. And the cowboy guy was pretty great as well.

The cowboy guy felt like an amalgamation of Cad Bane and Han Solo. Which, in and of itself isn't too bad, especially if he ends up being developed into a unique and effective combination. The Sith Sith was a cool touch. As much as the hangar sequence was an exaggerated Escape from the Death Star, it was pretty well done, and one of the stronger segments of the clip. That said, I was expecting to see Satele or the Republic Commando to destroy one of the Sith fighters and have Cowboy Smuggler Dude (has Wookieepedia named that guy yet?) say something snarky in response, seeing the direction it was heading.

It did get me moderately excited about this game again, so I guess it did its job, though it could have been more original.

I've Got nothing but Praise for this Cinematic, It was EPIC, Movie era similarity? meh, John Marston Smuggler and a True Sith? AMAZING.

Its a Shame that these 3 trailers are better than anything Lucasfilm has produced since 2005 combined.

That makes the Zabrak Jedi reaction to the return of the Sith Empire (after 300 years) a bit off.
Yeah, that was the main off bit I noticed about this trailer, how did he come to that conclusion so quickly. Oh well, it didn't ruin it for me.

I heard that beginning narrative voice and thought "Bastila?? Is this some sort of tie-in from KotOR?"

I was disappointed that the trailer wasn't; and further annoyed that they're using Jennifer Hale to voice Satele, with an accent/voice almost identical to Bastila's. Also at the Sith master's outfit - it looks very very much like Revan's. Hell, all the Sith's apparel are of the same look as Revan's. It's fairly obvious the designers have used his robes as a cue.

In-universe, i suppose this could be explained as the look being a traditional Sith design that Revan came across, but I personally feel it further takes away from Revan's character. I always liked his robes as i found the design to be unique to anything else previously seen in SW. Now there are a hundred other guys sporting the same thing, and if placed next to Revan, you wouldn't really be able to tell the importance of character of either.

But rest of the trailer was pretty fantastic (apart from the aforementioned similarities to the PT). The action was very epic and enjoyable. And I love how they're bringing the cowboy thing to a new generation.

I'm aware that these trailers cost a lot to make, but I can't help but think what a Star Wars movie made like this would be awesome. (Imagine a movie like this telling the story of what happened to the KotOR gangs after K2..)

That was an exciting scene, combat wise. Guess I should have taken the hint from comics or somewhere else where I saw that... a single bladed saber in one hand and a double bladed saber in the other. Interesting variant.

Well, I must say first the bad: I'm a little disappointed with the half-apparent lack of creativity. While I suppose similar situations tend to get recycled into each other...just thought they might have a little more...y'know *war* type of scenes where characters exchange. Some new scenes. Innovate like in dark forces/jedi knight series. Scenes more like movies based closely on events that happened in WW 1 & 2, or Vietnam. More chaotic and confused. Realistic. To be fair this is a fault with the entire SW franchise, not just this installment. :giveup:

As to the scene itself: overall scene reminded me of a combination of ROTS on the invisible hand, combined with that of escape from the death star from ANH. I echo the same sentiment: all of a sudden the zabrak master *knows* it's the sith when a moment before he couldn't tell exactly why his apprentice got a bad feeling? The reaction was *not* consistent with surprise. That killed the content of the trailer.

Otherwise it's the same old criticisms we already know: the star destroyer cruisers were invented by this sith empire. That's exactly what those ships were. Star Destroyers. The first of their kind. It makes this entire thing seem like it was straight from TCW--not a bad series but not a good one either. Just comes off mediocre. The heavy droids reminded me of the trade federation destroyer droids or "droiddecaurs". The invasion seemed almost totally predictable.

The troops...ok no technical reason why they couldn't have similar armor to clone & storm troopers...but I would have thought they'd be significantly different...more like the sith troopres in KOTOR era and not look strikingly like the troopers from the prequel movies.

Just seems like an almost contrived sameness is all. :(

Neutral: Is that astromech T7 unit the same one Ven Zallow had in the Jedi temple? I suppose that it isn't too bad... Just curious...

Neutral/good: Malgus sure is getting a LOT of attention. He is the new Vader IMO. And his master's outfit eerily resembled Revan's. And then he is accompanied later by again revan-esque looking sith warriors. If I learned one thing, a repeat of similar instances of a character usually means the author is trying to tell you something. It's usually a hint they want you to take--like how a college professor will repeat what s/he believes to be important. Malgus did not disappoint. Fits his role quite well. Actually might be even more cruel than the usual villain. How he disposed of his master is what you should expect and he did it with flying colors.

Good: Overall, looks to be in good keeping with the "pace" and "feel" of SW.

The cowboy character. Can't put my thumb on it but he reminds me of some actor. I'm not opposed at all to a gun-slinging country western element. Welcome it in fact. I disagree that he is just a wannabee Cad Bane crossed with Han Solo even if there is somewhat a resemblance there, in both ways. Added a lot of character and new content and feel. Liked it. Though the whole "My ship!" followed by a "not much for looks but tough" is a little inconsistent. Still, a charming character that is familiar yet different.

We now know the scope and depth of Satelle Shan's character development. Have to say her character is pretty well developed, too. We also know full circle how this current war started.

Looking forth: I do hope there is a ****ton more of space battles. I really miss them. I'm not even a huge fan of either series, rebel assault or x wing. Something satiating in terms of space travel and dogfights though.

The story arcs better be more creative than recycling familiar scenes. An occasional nod to a familiar point is okay but it gets flat and stale if everything's an imitation of what we've all seen before. I.E. "escape from hoth"...planet is fine but please don't have it be a mission where Malgus coming for the players like Vader came for Luke. I'd like to see more of the other sith lords getting involved, too.

Not too bad. I have hopes for it but I'm not expecting much of it.

If it has gotten some of my friends who are not all avid SW fans to lust after it, then I suppose it's doing a good job at luring people to play. The question now is: can it get this attraction to stick? Friends IRL have told me they seriously are considering getting this game--and they all asked me if I'd be down. So I suppose you'll see me there to try it, IFF I can build a new computer in a timely manner.

That was an exciting scene, combat wise. Guess I should have taken the hint from comics or somewhere else where I saw that... a single bladed saber in one hand and a double bladed saber in the other. Interesting variant.

That style was in Jedi Academy. It was obscure, but there.

I echo the same sentiment: all of a sudden the zabrak master *knows* it's the sith when a moment before he couldn't tell exactly why his apprentice got a bad feeling? The reaction was *not* consistent with surprise. That killed the content of the trailer.

I think it makes sense - the 'bad feeling' Satele sensed was obscured by hyperspace. When the attacking ships came out of hyperspace, the Jedi would've been hit with the dark force presences of the Sith aboard them.

Suddenly presented with this scene, the Zabrak Master's mind quickly processes the information: An attacking contingent of large, unrecognizable warships and starfighter squadrons; overwhelmingly dark force presences among them.

Then his mind clicks as he comes to the logical conclusion: "The Sith Empire has returned!"

Jennifer Hale is a very talented actress, though. She can pull off so many voices and accents that one never sounds exactly the same as the other. I always envision the Jedi Exile being voiced by her doing her Commander Shepard voice.

Raphael Sbarge, who played Carth, on the other hand, that guy has no range whatsoever. Every character he's ever voiced has had only one voice or accent: his own. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a voice actor, really.

Raphael Sbarge, who played Carth, on the other hand, that guy has no range whatsoever. Every character he's ever voiced has had only one voice or accent: his own. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a voice actor, really.

LOL - yeah, for some reason I always picture Carth under Scorch's helmet instead of Jango Fett.

LOL - yeah, for some reason I always picture Carth under Scorch's helmet instead of Jango Fett.
Actually, I think Sbarge did great with Scorch. And he also voiced a character in the Avatar animated series, which really didn't sound much like Carth. Kaidan, on the other hand... ugh.

While we're on the topic of voice actors. Is it possible that in the demo showing off Tatooine the female Bounty Hunter has Grey DeLisle's voice?

Archived