Home

Fable: The Journey

mimartin

He's back.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Fable: The Journey aims to make Kinect a hardcore destination

Fable: The Journey preview: Speak and spell

Don't know how to feel about this. Been wanting to see a game based on Kinect, but was not impressed with the demo. This coming from Peter Molyneux kind of worries me, his imagination is usually 4 to 10 years ahead of Lionhead’s ability to create such a game.

• 1 month later...
I usually think his ideas are good, the execution that is flawed.

I totally agree with you here, but that's why I hate him. He pitches us these incredible sounding games that boast countless hours of playtime and awesome new features, but when the game comes out it takes 2 hours to beat and it's just *not that good*. IMO Molyneux is more of a salesman than anything else.

I'll stick with the original Fable.

The first Fable was a small letdown for me, actually :(

It looked like a fable, truthfully, and the tale was pretty good. Combat was nice and all that. But the choice and consequence just wasn't there. That and I got tired fast of my mute character, whose role in conversations was limited in the occasional "yea" and "nay" choices. I also had the impression before the release that the game would allow more free-roaming, instead of being limited by wooden fences and hedgerows.

He's trying to sell "hardcore" gamers everything they hated about Wii... I mean, when it comes to motion controls, Kinect is worse than Wii because you actually have to make big gestures while with Wii all you required were small gestures.

The casual crowd may end up liking it though, who knows, if it's marketed correctly toward them.

• 2 weeks later...

The first Fable was the best, IMO. The gameplay felt more watered down in the sequels. I also don't think that Fable would be a good fit for the Kinect, the demonstration appeared to be on rails and the combat didn't look terribly exciting even then. The sheer number of expressions could also cause problems; detecting what is what could be tricky.

These are Peter Molyneux Quotes:

Before Fable II:

"It has an incredible story, the gameplay is amazing, it allows you to be whoever you want to be"

Before Fable III:

"Fable II was a bit dissapointing to be honest, it was very buggy and most users didn't even use half of the features that we put in. In Fable III we've simplified the features and basically improved the quality of the game as a whole."

After Fable III:

"It's hard to be completely honest without offending people; but I know, when I read in the middle of a review of Fable 3 that said the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

He should be a politician with all the bull**** that spews out of his mouth

The whole trilogy is a great set of games, for me, at least. don't understand why they are knocked as much as they are.

They have an interesting story, but Lionhead removed any semblance of difficulty from the sequels. The combat simplification felt like it removed depth, for me at least. And what happens if you die? You get back up. It removed any feeling of challenge. Why worry about losing experience when you can just get more? The game doesn't take your abilities away, and there is no shortage of experience opportunities to replenish what you lose.

The series does tell excellent stories. There are some interesting twists, and Albion is a fun place.

They have an interesting story, but Lionhead removed any semblance of difficulty from the sequels. The combat simplification felt like it removed depth, for me at least. And what happens if you die? You get back up. It removed any feeling of challenge. Why worry about losing experience when you can just get more? The game doesn't take your abilities away, and there is no shortage of experience opportunities to replenish what you lose.

The series does tell excellent stories. There are some interesting twists, and Albion is a fun place.

The first Fable game that I played was Fable II so my opinon of the series is that there more of a sit back and relax with your mates without worrying about difficulty. I suppose original Fable players wouldn't see it that way because they've been deprived of something they liked to begin with. The PC version of Fable 3 does at least try to fix that (admittedly poorly) with: "improved enemy A.I., increased enemy attack damage and the removal of a regenerating health system".

I think that Fable: The Journey has COMPLETELY ruined every aspect of the game. It's not an RPG anymore, it's an embarrasing mock-up. It's like putting Halo on the Wii! :evil3:

The first Fable game that I played was Fable II so my opinon of the series is that there more of a sit back and relax with your mates without worrying about difficulty. I suppose original Fable players wouldn't see it that way because they've been deprived of something they liked to begin with. The PC version of Fable 3 does at least try to fix that (admittedly poorly) with: "improved enemy A.I., increased enemy attack damage and the removal of a regenerating health system".

I think that Fable: The Journey has COMPLETELY ruined every aspect of the game. It's not an RPG anymore, it's an embarrasing mock-up. It's like putting Halo on the Wii! :evil3:

I agree with that. In their quest to appeal to the casual gamer, Lionhead appears to be alienating a large portion of their fan base. The move to Kinect is akin to removing the challenge, IMO. The demo at E3 looked pretty, but it raised concerns with many fable fans, myself included.

I was hopeful at the start of Fable I, the intro and load screens are awesome..but then....

you end up on a long railed ride. Nothing is really what it seems, you cant DO anything with all those lovely books in the library, you cant DO anything with anyone in the Guild Hall, and you end up having the same fight over and over and the glory of the game feels like it is just over the next hill.....and the next hill....and the next hill.....i was really hopeful with the great art style and lovely settings but i felt like i was in a cage. then Fable II came out and NO PC version..so sucks to them ..it was just not worth waiting for III.

Archived