Home

Visual Studios Debugger with Steam version of JKA?

razorace

Has anyone tried to run the Visual Studios debugger with the Steam version of JKA? I keep getting the following popup error:

Application load error T:0000065432

I'd really like to get this working so I can do JKA debugging on the go without resorting to an hacked version of the game.

UPDATE!

I've figured it out. These instructions are for Visual Studios 2010. Here's how you do it....

1. Swap the names of jasp.exe and jamp.exe in <steam install>/SteamApps/common/jedi academy/GameData. (jasp.exe->jamp.exe; jamp.exe -> jasp.exe)

Note: This will make steam load JKA multiplayer by default instead of singleplayer. To load singleplayer, you will need to use the "Launch Multiplayer" option in steam.

2. In your debugger options, set your debugger .exe to steam.exe in your steam install folder.

3. To your debugger command args, add "+set fs_cdpath "<your dev path>"".

This makes the game include your development folder when looking for game assets. (This use of fs_cdpath is functionally backwards from when debugging a CD copy of JKA.)

4. After starting to debug, you have to use Debug->Attach to process to actually debug.

I think this is because steam.exe is really just a launcher for JKA, but the debugger doesn't understand so it assumes you've finished debugging as soon as steam.exe closes.

I've figured it out. These instructions are for Visual Studios 2010. Here's how you do it....

1. Swap the names of jasp.exe and jamp.exe in <steam install>/SteamApps/common/jedi academy/GameData. (jasp.exe->jamp.exe; jamp.exe -> jasp.exe)

Note: This will make steam load JKA multiplayer by default instead of singleplayer. To load singleplayer, you will need to use the "Launch Multiplayer" option in steam.

2. In your debugger options, set your debugger .exe to steam.exe in your steam install folder.

This makes the game include your development folder when looking for game assets. (This use of fs_cdpath is functionally backwards from when debugging a CD copy of JKA.)

4. After starting to debug, you have to use Debug->Attach to process to actually debug.

I think this is because steam.exe is really just a launcher for JKA, but the debugger doesn't understand so it assumes you've finished debugging as soon as steam.exe closes.

• 3 years later...

Hey razor I hope you still check this I am having some issues setting up debugging with my steam version of JKA.

On step 4 you mention you need to attach to process but you never mention what process you attach.

Do I start steam with debugger then launch JKA single player and attach it?

Also you mention that you need to add CMD line arguments of "+set fs_cdpath "<your dev path>"". My code is located on C:\MB2\ but the rest of the game is located in Steam\JKA\GameData\ so I am not sure which location to put down for my fs_cdpath. Hope you can help!

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: Upon additional investigation, I don't think the steam version of JKA fully works with Visual Studios. There appears to be some sort of DRM feature that causes the game to crash whenever you attempt to use a breakpoint.

My workaround has been to use OpenJK as my development platform. No drm to worry about there. :)

Also you mention that you need to add CMD line arguments of "+set fs_cdpath "<your dev path>"". My code is located on C:\MB2\ but the rest of the game is located in Steam\JKA\GameData\ so I am not sure which location to put down for my fs_cdpath. Hope you can help!

In your case, <your dev path> is c:\MB2\.

Archived