Home

Can Mac & PC play together on the same server?

Kurgan

This might seem like an odd (or obvious) question, but I was thinking about getting a LAN party together with some family/friends, but most of them have Macs (and you may remember that I run the Meatgrinder, which is off of Linux, and I use windows to run the game on my own machine).

So can Mac and PC players both join the same servers? I assumed they would work, but I heard somebody say otherwise in an amazon review (of "Jedi Knight Gold" a 2 pack of the games on mac) and wondered if it was true.

I did assume that the Xbox version could only be played online on Xbox Live, but if that's wrong too, please somebody let me know (and can somebody with an Xbox360 play it online as well?). ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay cool. I suppose I can always return the copies of Mac JKA if it doesn't work (trickier if they're ordered online though).

My server (the Meatgrinder) is hosted on Linux and I obviously have the windows version.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is probably a couple of weeks too late for you, but they can play together on the same server fine (with a couple of caveats).

The older (non steam or app store) versions of mac JA don't work with OSX 10.9 anymore, but are otherwise fine.

For the steam / app store versions there's a bug with connecting to servers if you're missing pk3s, so you'll either need to make sure that the mac players have all the files on the server, or you can launch the game using the launcher I made.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived