Home

ScummVM-Tools can not compress german Sam & Mac monster.sou

a.borque

Hello!

I have already tried to solve this over in the ScummVM-Forums but did not get any reply. So I am trying here:

When trying to compress the monster.sou of the german floppy-disk version of Sam & Max hit the road I always recive the following error message: "Fatal Error Occured: Read beyond the end of file (E:\scumm\MONSTER.SOU)".

As it works on the english files and the corresponding monster.sou of german DOTT without any problem there must be a structural problem in this file.

A clean and error-free reinstallation from original disks did not solve the problem.

Can anybody confirm this / has anybody a solution?

Thanks

A.Borque

Hello!

Yes, Scumm Revisited opens the file but plays only one short piece of sound. the rest of data seems to be unknown to Scumm Revisited.

I can provide a version of this monster.sou for analysis, if anyone is interested.

Let me say once again, this file results from a fresh error-free installation from original disks!

Thanks

A.Borque

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll take a quick look if you give me a look at it.

Hello bgbennyboy!

I don't want to rush you, but did you have a chance to take a look at the monster.sou? jestar_jokin is still busy developing a scumm V1 graphic encoder. So if you could take a look it would be very helpful for me!

Thanks

A.Borque

• 4 months later...

I spoke with a.borque a while ago and resolved the issue, here's what I found.

MONSTER.SOU files contain two chunks per sound:

• VCTL - contains lip synch data (also sometimes VTTL)
  • SOU - contains the Creative VOC file data

The German Sam & Max MONSTER.SOU seems to have a VCTL without an associated SOU entry.

I wrote a small tool to fix the MONSTER.SOU file - it will create a new MONSTER.SOU file and only copy data for each VCTL chunk that has a matching SOU chunk.

Perhaps a better solution would be to update the ScummVM tools to skip invalid sound entries.

Win32 Binaries

http://www.jestarjokin.net/sw/fix_sam_de_bin_20111001.zip

Python source code

http://www.jestarjokin.net/sw/fix_sam_de_src_20111001.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Archived